cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Propane Concern

TrailLite30
Explorer
Explorer
Hello , I am new to the camping world and have a quick question regarding my propane usage.First I live in Camper full time, I have two 20 lb propane tanks and it seems like I'm using more than I should be , possible leak??? I wrote the date on the tank last time I replaced and turned on, turns out I was able to get 24 days off of one propane tank does this sound about right? I turn my hot water heater off every night to conserve as it does not have an electric element option. I cook on the stove maybe three nights a week and barbecue for about 30 minutes maybe two nights a week and basically just turned hot water heater on when I get home from work to take a shower then I turn it off. Really concerned I might have a leak but not sure where to start also regulator valve is brand new to swap takes. Should I be getting more time out of a 20 #tank ?

โš Did you see the "Announcement : ★★READ BEFORE POSTING HERE★★" at the top?
    Forum Posting Help and Support is reserved for questions related to "member" issues with Open Roads Forum sites. Signatures, profiles, photo testing, and for reporting account issues. Please avoid using this forum for RV related questions, as doing so can delay responses to your thread. Instead, visit the RV Forum which corresponds to the subject of your topic, and click the Post New Topic link. Thank-you!

Moved from FORUM POSTING HELP AND SUPPORT
16 REPLIES 16

Scottiemom
Nomad
Nomad
When we bought our little B+ to take to Alaska, it only had the gas on the water heater. DH bought an electric element and insert it into the water heater and wired the switch right next to the kitchen sink. That was a life (and gas) saver. Worked like a charm. I used the electric option all the time.

Dale
Dale Pace
Widow of Terry (Teacher's Pet)

Traveling with Brendon, my Scottish Terrier

2022 Honda Odyssey
2011 Mazda Miata MX-5

2021 Coach House Platinum III 250DT
Fulltimed for 15 years, now living in Florida

http://www.skoolzoutforever.blogspot.com/

MEXICOWANDERER
Explorer
Explorer
Excessive LPG usage probably rates right up there with

"I JUST BOUGHT THIS BATTERY NOT TOO LONG AGO!"

nineoaks2004
Explorer
Explorer
I leak test mine about once a year, just in case a leak does spring up.
By the time you learn the rules of life
You're to old to play the game

JimK-NY
Explorer II
Explorer II
If you have a propane refrigerator, I would have suspected even less than 24 days use per tank.

Certainly do the leak test mentioned above. With my system it takes overnight to see the regulator display red when the tanks are shut off and no propane is used. I think that you will find your "leak" is the propane BBQ. They can use a lot of propane relative to what you will use for hot water or the stove.

RJsfishin
Explorer
Explorer
Something, is wrong !! I can't make 5 gals propane go that far !!
You don't have a leak,....trust me !!
Rich

'01 31' Rexall Vision, Generac 5.5k, 1000 watt Honda, PD 9245 conv, 300 watts Solar, 150 watt inv, 2 Cos 6v batts, ammeters, led voltmeters all over the place, KD/sat, 2 Oly Cat heaters w/ ox, and towing a 2012 Liberty, Lowe bass boat, or a Kawi Mule.

Charlie_D_
Explorer
Explorer
Pressure your lines, close tank valves and watch the green indicator on you regulator. Check for leaks between regulator and valves. Regulator will turn to red fairly quickly if you have a leak. Regulator will take hours to turn red as you system is not 100% leak free.
Enjoying Your Freedom?
Thank A Veteran
Native Texan
2013 Prime Time Crusader 330MKS
2018 Chevy 2500 D/A Z71 4x4 Offroad
2006 Holiday Rambler Savoy 33SKT-40,000 trouble free miles-retired
2006 Chevy 2500 D/A-retired
2013 Chevy 2500 D/A-retired

MrWizard
24 days from one 20# 5 gal tank

No leaks, you did excellent
I can explain it to you.
But I Can Not understand it for you !

Connected using T-Mobile Home internet and Visible Phone service
1997 F53 Bounder 36s

Bill_Satellite
Explorer II
Explorer II
Keep in mind that 20# of propane is only about 5 gallons. If you can swap out your 2 20's for 2 30's you will get better capacity. If you are going to be in 1 place for an extended period of time you can have the local propane company bring you a big tank (100 gallon, I think) for extended usage without concern.
What I post is my 2 cents and nothing more. Please don't read anything into my post that's not there. If you disagree, that's OK.
Can't we all just get along?

dougrainer
Nomad
Nomad
Curious, In YOUR mind, how long should a 20 lb tank have lasted? Doug

azrving
Explorer
Explorer
I just ran my water heater for a shower. I didn't time it but it was probably only on for 10 min or so and the water was warm enough. I didn't have to blend any cold with it, I just ran the hot faucet.

You may be able to check various time intervals vs where you like the temp and cut the WH run time down a good amount.

TrailLite30
Explorer
Explorer
Thank you everyone for your replies, maybe I'm just a little paranoid but I will definitely check the connections with soapy water just to make sure. I and definitely more at ease with the experiences and suggestions provided.

Old-Biscuit
Explorer
Explorer
Water heater..depending on Brand and Model uses an 80000Btu (Atwood 6 gal), a 10000Btu (Atwood 10 gal) or 120000BTU (Suburban) Burner.

Propane has 21,500Btu per pound

Two FULL hours of burner operation will consume 1# of propane

20# in 24 days..........sounds about right.

Our normal usage with a 30# is 5-6 weeks
Is it time for your medication or mine?

2007 DODGE 3500 QC SRW 5.9L CTD In-Bed 'quiet gen'
2007 HitchHiker II 32.5 UKTG 2000W Xantex Inverter
US NAVY------USS Decatur DDG31

DutchmenSport
Explorer
Explorer
Probably sounds right to me also. We use our camper year round, until the outside temperatures reach about 10F above zero or less. In the Summer months we may go 2 months on 1 thirty pound tank. We run the water heater on gas too. In the winter, using the furnace, we can run through a 30 pound tank in 3 days. When the usage gets that steep, we move back into the house.

There is no set pattern for anyone's usage of propane except your own. Time of year makes a big difference with outside temperatures, even for water heaters and cooking on stove tops. In addition, the amount of water you use, the more hot water you use will require the water heater to run more too. If go from one shower a week to a shower every day, there will be a big difference if hot water usage. If you do 2 showers a day, it will be even more usage. You can only monitor your own usage and track it that way.

If you had a propane leak, I think your tank would empty itself MUCH faster than 24 days and you'd smell it somewhere.

The soap test is a good idea, just to ease your own concerns, and doesn't hurt anything, except, maybe the soap will wash down your pipes (which isn't a bad thing at all).

I think your usage is perfectly normal. Track it, see if it's consistent. If you start having to fill up a tank every other day.... then yes... you've got a problem if you've been consistent with a 24 day usage cycle.

Good luck!

fitznj
Explorer
Explorer
I'd say that you're use sounds about right. I'm assuming your fridge is NOT running on propane but is in fact running on 110V.

I usually only turn my how water heater on about 15 minutes before taking a shower and then turn it off the rest of the time. The water stays sufficiently warm for other uses. Obviously I take "navy" showers.... as I usually dry camp.

I've used 3 20# tanks in 52 days - so your usage sounds about right. I also used the heater during this time.
Gerry