cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How to make use of space where generator was?

Wilbrod
Explorer
Explorer
Hi all,

Been googling for some time and this forum might be my best chance at getting help finding what I'm looking for.

I recently bought a 19' class C motorhome. It's a 2009 Ford E350 super duty frame. The generator didn't come with it and now I'm left with a large open spot where the generator used to sit.

I can see that the frame/chassis of the vehicle has pre-made holes from the factory and from looking at the battery compartment next to it, there are some brackets out there to mount things to the frame. That's how the battery drawer is attached to the RV. The ceiling of that's space isn't really sturdy so I can't use that as a mounting point.

So is anyone aware of where I could find such bracket that could fit the factory holes that are in the frame or any suggestions on how to use that empty space. Given that the RV is only 19 feet long, any storage room will go a long way. I may use that space to store an additional accessory battery.

Thanks in advance!

Wil
11 REPLIES 11

Wilbrod
Explorer
Explorer
Photomike wrote:
Only pictures are the one in the above link that I have. What we did was to use the bolts that are under there for the generator. Four bolts that have the heads embedded so they do not turn. Welded the frame and installed. It is bolted to the battery tray to prevent it from wobbling side to side, a little extra stability.

Do you have a solar panel on top of the air conditioner? The only extra wires that I know on the roof would be from this.

I am not sure what the charge controller is. I have never dug into it. If I added any more solar I would use my own controller.

Given the size of your solar panel, there probably isn't a charge controller. Mine didn't come with the solar panel but there must have been one there before, cable is secured down with Dicor right next to the AC rooftop hunit.

I'll take another look for those bolts, I don't think I saw those.

Photomike
Explorer III
Explorer III
Wilbrod wrote:
Photomike wrote:
I went to a welder and for what he charged to weld it and paint it I could not have bought a piece of flimsy plastic for that price. If you are looking look for a small welding shop like a one person operation. The big ones won't give you the time of day for a small project like this.

Here are some pictures of mine and some other mods ***Link Removed***

FYI I still have the old battery box there, I need to find a tool box that fits it as it is a perfect location for tools or oil or even a small can of gas.

Do you have any pictures of your new battery storage area? This is exactly what I'm looking at doing. Would love to see how it's mounted/welded. I can see that something is bolted to the old battery storage sidewall.

I also found a loose wire on the roof. It's 16 or 18 AWG, can't quite see. I'm adding 200w of solar panels if I can make it fit but I haven't decided how route the wires down yet. I saw that charging LED on the panel on mine and I still have to investigate what's behind it. What kind of charge controller is there if at all. I plan on using my own that I purchased already. If you have any info about it please send it my way.

Only pictures are the one in the above link that I have. What we did was to use the bolts that are under there for the generator. Four bolts that have the heads embedded so they do not turn. Welded the frame and installed. It is bolted to the battery tray to prevent it from wobbling side to side, a little extra stability.

Do you have a solar panel on top of the air conditioner? The only extra wires that I know on the roof would be from this.

I am not sure what the charge controller is. I have never dug into it. If I added any more solar I would use my own controller.
2017 Ford Transit
EVO Electric bike
Advanced Elements Kayaks

Wilbrod
Explorer
Explorer
I'm not sure how it works to embed pictures so you'll have to click Imgur to go see them.

I was mistaken when I said that the battery compartment is bolted to the frame. It is in fact bolted to the ceiling of the crawl space. The bolted bracket is for the suspension (as seen in picture).

It looks like I'll be able to get something welded on the cross piece that supports the RV. I don't know if it's acceptable or not to weld directly onto the frame but I'll find a solution which doesn't involve having to do that. Attaching to the top of the crawl space doesn't seem to be an option. I'll have to take a look from the inside but from below there's no solid material visible. Somehow it's a large piece of tin metal that's there instead of the solid material like where the battery tray is located.

Thanks again all for the quick replies. Pretty awesome community here.

BFL13
Explorer II
Explorer II
No gen in the gen compartment on ours. Got this MH after having a 5er with an RVQ that hung on the side of the trailer. No such thing with the Class C. Looked at the adapter to use the MH's big propane tank, didn't like that idea so much. I liked the RVQ way. So--

I found that the RVQ and stuff that goes with it fits in the gen space along with a 20lb propane bottle. I did a mod on the RVQ quick connect hose and it works now with the 20lb bottle and regulator.

All I need is to rig hangers on the side of the MH and be in business. 🙂
1. 1991 Oakland 28DB Class C
on Ford E350-460-7.5 Gas EFI
Photo in Profile
2. 1991 Bighorn 9.5ft Truck Camper on 2003 Chev 2500HD 6.0 Gas
See Profile for Electronic set-ups for 1. and 2.

Wilbrod
Explorer
Explorer
Photomike wrote:
I went to a welder and for what he charged to weld it and paint it I could not have bought a piece of flimsy plastic for that price. If you are looking look for a small welding shop like a one person operation. The big ones won't give you the time of day for a small project like this.

FYI I still have the old battery box there, I need to find a tool box that fits it as it is a perfect location for tools or oil or even a small can of gas.

Do you have any pictures of your new battery storage area? This is exactly what I'm looking at doing. Would love to see how it's mounted/welded. I can see that something is bolted to the old battery storage sidewall.

I also found a loose wire on the roof. It's 16 or 18 AWG, can't quite see. I'm adding 200w of solar panels if I can make it fit but I haven't decided how route the wires down yet. I saw that charging LED on the panel on mine and I still have to investigate what's behind it. What kind of charge controller is there if at all. I plan on using my own that I purchased already. If you have any info about it please send it my way.

Wilbrod
Explorer
Explorer
Photomike wrote:

Oh man thanks for the reply! Your RV is identical to mine!! Love the idea of storing a toolbox in there.

Photomike
Explorer III
Explorer III

Here are some pictures of mine and some other mods 19G mods

2017 Ford Transit
EVO Electric bike
Advanced Elements Kayaks

77rollalong
Explorer
Explorer
had a friends motor home that was set up the same, all pre wired for a generator but not installed. the bottom should be strong enough that you could just cut a piece of 3/4 plywood to fit the bottom an you should be more than strong enough.

Wilbrod
Explorer
Explorer
Thanks for the quick replies. I was thinking of using a manufactured product to attach onto the frame but I'll take another look and it might not be necessary.

Building the box isn't my concern, attaching it securely to the frame is. I'll take some pictures this afternoon so you guys can see what I'm dealing with.

I am not saying no to a generator for the future but in the past with our class B we fared pretty well without one.

BillHoughton
Explorer II
Explorer II
Any competent welding shop could make you a box, if you're not skilled in making your own.

But, if you've got basic shop skills, I'm with PartyOfFive (do I call you "Five" or "Party" for short?). Aluminum is easy to work, comes in lots of useful shapes, and can be found in big boxy stores (Home Desperate and the like), so it's easily available pretty much everywhere. Note that you may pay more at a big boxy store than at a commercial metal supplier; shop around for price.

But think through what you want in there before you make/commission a box. If you're putting in a battery, you'll want the space vented, and you'll want to choose a material that can handle any battery leaks. And you'll want to integrate battery tie-downs into the design, rather than awkwardly adding them later. If you're going to use it for general storage, you may need to weatherstrip it to keep water and road dirt out, which will require a more elaborate door. And so on.

Have you concluded that, given your travel habits, you'll never need a generator? We don't use ours very often, but it's been right handy the few times we've used it. I do wish Itasca had chosen a Honda, though; the Onan that came with our rig is a touch noisy.

PartyOf_Five
Explorer
Explorer
Depending on what you would store, I think it would be pretty easy to cut some aluminum pieces and sheets to make a box and then pocket from the inside and paint the exterior black
PartyOf5 appreciating our Creator thru the created. 5 yrsL 50k, 49 states & 9 provinces.

May you find Peace in all you endeavor.