cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Home Security - what we did

pasusan
Explorer
Explorer
Now that we're retired we take longer trips - but we worry about leaving the house for long. We don't have family in the area and don't have any close neighbors that we'd like to put responsibility on. So we smartened up our home. Here is what we did...

Video doorbell - Ring - which makes a sound notification on your phone when it senses motion or someone rings the doorbell.
We installed it at our back door because that is the most likely door that would be broken into and we live in a semi rural area where everyone naturally goes to the back door.

Smart items that work with the Smartthings hub:
Bulbs that are set to go on and off at different times.
Motion Sensors in 3 main rooms - which can be set to notify on the phone - and they also tell the temperature.

We just got back from a 24 day trip. Before we left we turned off the water and set the thermostat at 52. While we were gone we could check what the temperatures were in the 3 different rooms, check that the lights went on and off as scheduled, and look out at our back yard and driveway. We could do that anytime - from anywhere we had cell service (which was everywhere at least once a day).

While we were gone it snowed a few times and we were able to check out the backyard:
Backyard Video

Hope this helps others...

Edit... I forgot to mention our Fake TV

Susan & Ben [2004 Roadtrek 170]
href="https://sites.google.com/view/pasusan-trips/home" target="_blank">Trip Pics
52 REPLIES 52

beemerphile1
Explorer
Explorer
RambleOnNW wrote:
For an alarm system I require that it be certified by Underwriters Laboratories:

https://www.ul.com/database

Simplisafe is not listed.

Simplisafe is all wireless/battery and is FCC approved. The one and only cord which is the power cord to the base station is UL labeled.
Build a life you don't need a vacation from.

2016 Silverado 3500HD DRW D/A 4x4
2018 Keystone Cougar 26RBS
2006 Weekend Warrior FK1900

myredracer
Explorer II
Explorer II
UL also certifies central alarm monitoring facilities which covers equipment and operating procedure.

RambleOnNW
Explorer II
Explorer II
magicbus wrote:
RambleOnNW wrote:
For an alarm system I require that it be certified by Underwriters Laboratories:

We had to get some computerized equipment "UL Approved" and, since it was all low voltage except the power supply, all we needed to do is make sure nobody could touch a high voltage contact and use a UL Approved power cord. I expect that your UL Approved alarm just has an Approved power brick like most every laptop. They are not certifying the quality of the alarm system.

Dave

Actually no. A lot more to UL listing than just a transformer. However you have to pay UL to get a copy of their alarm standards.

UL tests and certifies the alarm system equipment, installation, and central monitoring service providers.

For example, UL 1076 Standard for Proprietary Burglar Alarm Units and Systems
UL 827 Standard for Central Station Alarm Services.

The system I have also has a monitored smoke detector. UL requires the wiring between the smoke detector and alarm box to be fire resistant. The alarm box itself is fire resistant metal also.

The system I have has a 24 hour long power backup in case of power outage. Doubt Simplisafe has that.
2006 Jayco 28', E450 6.8L V10, Bilstein HDs,
Roadmaster Anti-Sway Bars, Blue Ox TigerTrak

magicbus
Explorer
Explorer
RambleOnNW wrote:

We had to get some computerized equipment "UL Approved" and, since it was all low voltage except the power supply, all we needed to do is make sure nobody could touch a high voltage contact and use a UL Approved power cord. I expect that your UL Approved alarm just has an Approved power brick like most every laptop. They are not certifying the quality of the alarm system.

Dave
Current: 2018 Winnebago Era A
Previous: Selene 49 Trawler
Previous: Country Coach Allure 36

RambleOnNW
Explorer II
Explorer II

2006 Jayco 28', E450 6.8L V10, Bilstein HDs,
Roadmaster Anti-Sway Bars, Blue Ox TigerTrak

JimBollman
Explorer
Explorer
The best security is a good insurance policy with full replacement value clause. We do the normal stuff but don't go crazy. If we are gone for more than a week or so we ask a friend to drive up the drive and do a visual a few times.

One security item that has worked for us the last two houses and nearly 40 years is a long driveway that you can not see what is on the other end. My theory is a thief will not go up a drive, not knowing what they are getting into. Add one way in and out so the drive can be blocked by one car to keep anyone from leaving and you really have to be stupid to try something.

IdaD
Explorer
Explorer
wanderingbob wrote:
I guess we all do what feels good ,but I am sure that there are millions of people who like me have no alarms and very seldom even lock the doors .I have been a home owner since 1965 and have never had any problem with thieves or break ins ! But I have always lived in semi-rural areas !

I wouldn't go so far as to not lock the doors, but I've also never had issues. We live in a good neighborhood and know our neighbors and we give a couple of them a heads up if we'll be out of town, and they do the same. Maybe I'm naive but that's enough security to make me feel okay when we're out of town. Wherever our family is we're generally secured by Glock and S&W.
2015 Cummins Ram 4wd CC/SB

Jagtech
Explorer
Explorer
If you are heading out the door and haven't made prior arrangements for any type of security, try the cell phone app "Salient Eye".., I use it; its not perfect, but better than nothing at all. It uses an old cell phone on wifi (no simm card req'd) as a camera. When its camera detects motion, it immediately sends an alert to your mobile, either by SMS or email, along with real time images of the action.
Its a free app, and I am impressed with the way it performs.
1998 Triple E F53
1995 Jeep Wrangler toad

wanderingbob
Explorer II
Explorer II
I guess we all do what feels good ,but I am sure that there are millions of people who like me have no alarms and very seldom even lock the doors .I have been a home owner since 1965 and have never had any problem with thieves or break ins ! But I have always lived in semi-rural areas !

mitchmitchell16
Explorer
Explorer
So to ask a different take on the topic, what do folks do to secure your RV when you are at home? Particularly if your RV is stored off site?
Jayco Jay Feather Ultra Light X213
Ford F-450 Diesel Pickup
Equalizer Weight Distribution Hitch
Weboost Drive 4G-X cellular booster
PentaMetric Battery Monitor
Progressive Industries EMS-HW30C

Eric_Lisa
Explorer II
Explorer II
Dick_B wrote:
...We like Foscam

Be careful with Foscam, they have known security vulnerabilities.

Link

-Eric
Eric & Lisa - Oregon
'97 Silverado K2500, New HT383 motor!, Airbags, anti-sway bar
'03 Lance model 1030, generator, solar,

Ralph_Cramden
Explorer II
Explorer II
gemsworld wrote:
I'm surprised you would be knocking SimpliSafe systems since you're very familiar with alarm systems. I doubt seriously a burglar is going to have the time to either nuke or drown the base before it sends a signal out.

For the record, I don't have a SimpliSafe system but I'm familiar with how it works.

Currently have the Simpli Safe 2, and had the original SS for almost 3 years prior. It's evident by his post he knows nothing about it. They really hit it out of the park with the Simpli Safe 2.

I can program Simpli Safe to do anything or operate the same as anything he mentions in his post. Over the years we have also had hard wired and wireless systems, as well as monitoring, from all the big players and a few of the local independents. If you want to discuss crooks include ADT in the conversation.....they wrote the book on ripping people off lol.

A thief breaking in then stuffing the SS base in the microwave lol? Oh the forum drama!

I guess a dedicated thief could always cut my fiber and disable the backup com's done through wifi/web, block the primary cellular dialing, smash my 3 outside sirens off the house if he brought a 40' ladder, kick in the door and stuff the base in the microwave in less than 30 seconds, put up some jersey barriers and roadblocks a few miles away to stop the police from responding, so on and so forth.

Personally I'd rather have some snazzy IoT appliance.
Too many geezers, self appointed moderators, experts, and disappearing posts for me. Enjoy. How many times can the same thing be rehashed over and over?

magicbus
Explorer
Explorer
Never really thought about an alarm system as we barely remember to lock our doors when we leave. I do worry about freezing so I am looking to build or buy a text message based alert system. Back when I had a land line I had a call from my house temperature monitor saying it was getting chilly, so I called the plumber, told him where the key was and he changed the broken pump. No land line makes things a bit different.

Dave
Current: 2018 Winnebago Era A
Previous: Selene 49 Trawler
Previous: Country Coach Allure 36

2gypsies1
Explorer
Explorer
myredracer wrote:
Another thing is that insurance companies have restrictions on how long a home can be left unattended (4 days in our policy).

Never heard of that one! What about all the snowbirds leaving for all winter?
Full-Timed for 16 Years
.... Back in S&B Again
Traveled 8 yr in a 40' 2004 Newmar Dutch Star Motorhome
& 8 yr in a 33' Travel Supreme 5th Wheel