cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Portable mini freezer

hobbssb
Explorer
Explorer
We would like more freezer space in our Sprinter. Is there such a thing as a portable mini freezer that is less than 12 inches high? Hoping to put it under our backseat. 16 inches high is the shortest we have found.
6 REPLIES 6

retraite
Explorer
Explorer
hobbssb wrote:
Where do you have the Engel unit installed? Looks good!

The short answer is behind the passenger's seat.

But, there's more to the story.

First, we long ago abandoned the ability to "walk" from the front seats to the rear, choosing instead to use that "foot" space for a ham radio installation. (But, that's another topic).

So I built a sliding platform - base, six "drawer" slides, a top to the slides, then mounted the Engel cooler/freezer to that using the Engel Transit Slide Lock. Then I could move the cooler/freezer fore or aft the length of the drawer slides using only two fingers.

To "travel", I slide the freezer to the aft most position, then move the passenger seat to the rearmost position and my wife sits down. When we stop, I move the passenger seat to the most forward position, then slide the Engel unit up behind it and we move in or out the side door at will.

Then I had to address how to power the Engel unit.

I added two additional 12V "cigar lighter" outlets to the dash.

I also added an ArkPak 730. That's a fairly "smart" independent battery (see here) power source which I use only for the Engel MT45.

So, when plugged in to shore power, we run the Engel unit on 120V. When parked with no 120V, I plug the MT45 into the ArkPak. When driving, I plug the Engel into one of the additional "cigar lighter" sockets and "recharge" the ArkPak from the other.

We've been doing that for nearly ten years and it works like a charm for us.

The only thing that needs "maintenance" is that periodically - every three to four years - you need to replace the battery in the ArkPak.

ctilsie242
Explorer
Explorer
Dometic/Waeco is also a decent brand, and there is always Truckfridge, which is a US company. From what I've seen, Dometic makes the smallest model.

hobbssb
Explorer
Explorer
Where do you have the Engel unit installed? Looks good!

retraite
Explorer
Explorer
You might want to take a look at here.

We installed a MT45 in our PW Lexor. DW sure likes having the extra refrigeration capacity.

Cheers.

hobbssb
Explorer
Explorer
Thanks for the input. What brand did you get?

midnightsadie
Explorer II
Explorer II
do you have a trailer hitch ? could put one back there. we have a sprinter too ,our mini freezer sits on the bech seat at the table or on a hitch .ours is pp or 12volt. or 120v works great.