cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Towing CRV...Question

Whaler
Explorer
Explorer
For those of you who tow a CRV, on long distance trips requiring multiple days of travel. Do you start and run through the transmission routine every morning before travel. Have only towed the CRV on short trips but getting ready for a five day run and will not drive the CRV until we reach our destination. Towed a Jeep GC 60000 miles and didn't have to be concerned with it but a CRV is not the same.
10 REPLIES 10

hawkhill
Explorer
Explorer
We have been looking for a CRV that would be compatible to towing as we are thinking of changing to a diesel pusher from our fifth wheel. Per Honda, last year that CRVs were towable is the 2014 model year. After that they when to the CVT transmission which is not towable at all.
2015 RAM 3500 dually Deep Cherry Red Crystal 6.7 Cummins Aisin 6-Speed
2008 Carriage Cameo F35SB
Jeff "Loving DH"
Smokey & Purrshing, Our Ragdolls
Gordie, Springer Spaniel
True Blue, Aussie

obgraham
Explorer
Explorer
I think the issue with the CRV and towing came down to the CVT transmission -- it's not compatible with towing. You hav e to look for an older one to tow.

In a similar way Honda abandoned the manual transmission in the CRV along about 2007, which was very easy to tow -- mine towed 30K without any issue.

jcsb
Explorer
Explorer
Check your 2015 owners manual. I doubt it is towable 4 down. Look under recreational towing or simular terms, not those that imply towing with the CRV.
Jim Hunter

Gootz
Explorer
Explorer
So we are picking up a new coach this weekend after 15 years of having TT's. We plan on towing my wife's 2015 CRV, I was reading these posts and was wondering what actually is the issue? And why is this procedure necessary? Is it due to the AWD system?

soren
Explorer
Explorer
jcsb wrote:
Yes. Also start engine each evening and let it run unless you have a battery charge line from the coach. There is draw on the battery during towing.

With the proper fuse pulled, or better yet, a fuse eliminator switch installed, as per the requirements for flat towing a CRV, there is no battery draw. I once forgot to hit the switch on my 2013 CRV, and after a long day of towing, the battery was very dead.

The car needs to be restarted and run for three minutes, every eight hours. You can't pull the key at the end of the day, then just stick it back in the ignition, restart and let it run for a few minutes the next day, prior to starting a multi-day trip. The process of moving the shift level to the various points, and holding it in drive for five seconds, before it is moved to N for three minutes, in a sequence that tells the computer that you are about to flat tow the vehicle.

There was once a member here who was extremely mad at me, since I pointed out that Honda was correct in not honoring his claim that they owed him a new transmission. He went into some detail, in two different posts, explaining how he shifts the transmission to get it ready to flat tow. The problem was that both descriptions differed from each other, and both had little to do with the procedure listed in his owner's manual.

Finally, I have flat towed two CRVs almost 70K miles. I had a long conversation with the head mechanic at our dealer about flat towing, and strongly agree with him on one point. Change the trans fluid frequently if you flat tow. It is incredibly easy to do, easier than changing the oil, and it only takes a few minutes and three quarts of OEM fluid. I do mine every third oil change.

robatthelake
Explorer
Explorer
Ditto on the running engine and shifting as per Honda manual! Really not a big deal doing that at the same time I check the Hitch etc.
Rob & Jean
98 Dutch Star Diesel Pusher ..07 Honda CRV AWD

philandterri
Explorer
Explorer
We to a 2014 CRV, when e stop or the night we run the engine while setting up the MH. That is enough time to charge the battery. We also carry a jumper box just in case.

Pangaea_Ron
Explorer
Explorer
Do as gafidler says (every 8 hours). I've towed my 2014 CR-V over 10,000 miles without issues.
2008 Itasca SunCruiser 35L
2014 Honda AWD CR-V EX-L

jcsb
Explorer
Explorer
Yes. Also start engine each evening and let it run unless you have a battery charge line from the coach. There is draw on the battery during towing.
Jim Hunter

gafidler
Explorer
Explorer
run engine and trans thru 1, 2 ,3 and auto every 8 hours of towing. check your owners manuel.