cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

discolored/stained carpet

navymom05
Explorer
Explorer
we are buying a 01 Monaco Dynasty, and in the master closet and in front of the closet around the areas to lift to get to eng. and exhaust areas the tan carpet is black. Could it be exhaust leaks coming thru to discolor it? We have are just now looking at it and wondered if anyone has had this problem?
10 REPLIES 10

soren
Explorer
Explorer
I had a tiny roof leak that left a BIG red/pink stain on my white carpet ceiling. I fixed the leak, then created a sealed chamber around that part of the interior. Basically a lot of cheap plastic dropcloth material taped to walls, and covering floors to prevent overspray damage. I them took a spray bottle full of straight bleach and soaked the stain. I did a bit of blotting with a clean white towel, and ended up repeating the process a total of three times. The ceiling now is clean, and pure white.

mccsix
Explorer
Explorer
Most RV carpet can handle the mild bleach found in a lot of cleaners. Pick an inconspicuous spot and test it, I think you'll find it works. I've used Clorox Cleanup on all my carpet and ceiling cleaning problems and it worked perfectly.

jplante4
Explorer
Explorer
The Ozite ceiling in our bedroom is stained with soot at the seam between roof panels. Nothing I have tried to date will get it out.
Jerry & Jeanne
1996 Safari Sahara 3530 - 'White Tiger'
CAT 3126/Allison 6 speed/Magnum Chassis
2014 Equinox AWD / Blue Ox

rascalflat
Explorer
Explorer
We had a local carpet cleaner do our complete unit, including living room and bedroom carpet, under the driver's dash, couch and chair cushions. Cost us less than $100 and he came to our storage lot.

See http://newmarkountrystar.com/

navymom05
Explorer
Explorer
Thank you all so very much for all the helpful tips! I'm a newbie ๐Ÿ˜‰

wolfe10
Explorer
Explorer
Should be able to "feel" the difference between soot and dirt.

If soot, check the exhaust manifold and turbo area very carefully for an exhaust leak.
Brett Wolfe
Ex: 2003 Alpine 38'FDDS
Ex: 1997 Safari 35'
Ex: 1993 Foretravel U240

Diesel RV Club:http://www.dieselrvclub.org/

folivier
Explorer
Explorer
If the spots are not too large an area try using Folex. Available at Lowes.

gbopp
Explorer
Explorer
I would make sure any seals around the access area are in good condition and there are no exhaust leaks on the engine.
Then I would try cleaning as recommended by jerseyjim.

jerseyjim
Explorer
Explorer
I had a few stains plus a really dirty (overall) carpet. Found a indie carpet shop that advertized installed and cleaned carpets. Asked the owner about an RV carpet cleaning....he was receptive. Brought the motorhome to his place, 8AM on a Saturday.,Maybe an hour or so later, left with a carpet that looked just about brand new. 100 bucks

You might try that. g'luck !

DSDP_Don
Explorer
Explorer
After 17 years, a lot of that is from dust, dirt and heat coming up in the joints of the covers. You can probably scrub it, but most likely will be permanently stained.
Don & Mary
2019 Newmar Dutch Star 4018 - All Electric
2019 Ford Raptor Crew Cab