cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Overhead Cap- Exterior?

robleto
Explorer
Explorer
Looking for ideas to seal the gap between bottom overhead bunk cap and roof of chassis. Don't know why manufacturers do not seal gap from factory but it looks horrible. Hopefully will look aesthetically pleasing and maybe eliminate some wind drag on the road.

Anyone can offer any ideas will be greatly appreciated.

Thanks

Thor E450 Four Winds 22b
6 REPLIES 6

Mich_F
Explorer
Explorer
ksg5000 wrote:
Picture might help determine exactly where/what your describing.

The OOP did post a pic on another website. What he is talking about is the "normal" cab roof of a Class C where it mates to the underside of the cabover bunk. He just doesn't like the way it looks.
2014 Itasca Spirit 31K Class C
2016 Mazda CX5 on Acme tow dolly- 4 trips ~ 5,800 mi
Now 2017 RWD F150 with a drive shaft disconnect

ksg5000
Explorer
Explorer
Picture might help determine exactly where/what your describing. I seal the cap/molding which covers where the roof/overhead meet with Eternabond. On the bottom side where the overhang connects up with what I suppose is the bottom structure of the overhead bed is covered by a trim piece and I seal that with Proflex.
Kevin

DrewE
Explorer
Explorer
On my class C, there is a rubber gasket between the bunk board and the roof of the chassis cab, which seals it against water getting inside. (The screws that attach the two to each other are driven through the gasket.). You can't really see the gasket from the outside, and from the inside it's normally covered by the headliner trim.

I don't think any caulking etc. is going to make a bit of difference in terms of wind drag, at least that could be measured in terms of fuel mileage. It might very well eliminate some annoying wind noises if they are coming from that area.

77rollalong
Explorer
Explorer
check into "Lord Fusor" they make many automotive type sealers for body panels, or check into an auto body supply shop..

gbopp
Explorer
Explorer
I don't have a C so I really can't comment. Caulking seems to be the best choice.
However, is it supposed to be sealed? Have you looked at similar units to make sure your rig is not missing something?
How much does it flex while driving? Maybe caulk isn't a good option. JMO

azdryheat
Explorer
Explorer
A bead of silicon?
2013 Chevy 3500HD CC dually
2014 Voltage 3600 toy hauler
2019 RZR 1000XP TRE