cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Violent tire blow out messed up my rig

Octaneforce
Explorer
Explorer
I have a 1993 30ft class a fleetwood coronado on a p30 chassis. Im super on top of maintenance and safety but on the way back from my last trip a rear inner tire blew out and mangled the under storage cabinets. It literally blew the doors clean off. I managed to get them back in place and limped home on 1 tire. all 6 tires were replaced about 7 months ago and only have maybe 2000 miles on them with nice even wear. They are samson 8r19.5. Definitely a cheaper tire. After closely inpecting these tires i noticed that every single one of them has small stress cracks on the sidewalls. Why are these tires failing already? Should i replace the blown out tire with another cheap samson? Id really like a new set of goodyears all around after this experience but these tires are so fresh still! Minus the stress cracks. I was running 90psi all around. The sidewall calls for 110psi which seemed high to me. What tires do you guys run? Are crazy blowouts like this common?
1993 fleetwood coronado 30’ class a chuggin along with a tbi 454
An On demand hot water heater was the best thing i ever did
31 REPLIES 31

Octaneforce
Explorer
Explorer
Groover wrote:
Do you have valve stem extenders on the rear inners? If so, they can leak and cause issues with the inner tires.

I do have extenders on the rear inners. However they were replaced and checked for leaks not too long before the tire blew out. How else would i be able to adjust the tire pressure of the inner tire without an extender?

Groover
Explorer II
Explorer II
Do you have valve stem extenders on the rear inners? If so, they can leak and cause issues with the inner tires.

kmb1966
Explorer
Explorer
Many users say, "buy a quality tire". Well exactly what is that? Many have had good luck with Samson, Hankook, Toyo, Hercules, and many have had bad results with Michelin, Goodyear. I had less than 5 year old Goodyear G670's and had 2, TWO! blowouts on the same day. Goodyear refunded my money on all 6 after some complaining to the state attorney general's office. Sometimes all you can do is have a TPMS, keep an eye on them for cracks, keep properly air inflation to the weight of the rig, and continue to play this game of what appears at times to be 'Russian roulette' when it comes to tires.

10forty2
Explorer
Explorer
Octaneforce wrote:
So after many weeks of very good communication, samson is sending me a check to cover 6 new tires and the repair to my baggage doors. I was really impressed with the customer service and they were incredibly understanding. I thought they were going to send me actual tires but they kind of just left it up to me to decide if i will use samsons again. The shop i want to use doesnt even sell samson. They want to sell me sumihotos. I feel a little guilty but it is what it is.

6 new sumihoto tires mounted and balanced with “sandbags” along with an alignment, and i was quoted at roughly 2000 from my shop of choice. I priced around a few other places and they are all about the same. The chinese tires are definitely alot cheaper but i dont want to take a chance with my family riding in the rv! Lol

Good deal! Glad it was resolved to your satisfaction!!
1999 Holiday Rambler Endeavor, 36' Gasser
Triton V10, Ford F53 Chassis
-----------------------------------------

Octaneforce
Explorer
Explorer
So after many weeks of very good communication, samson is sending me a check to cover 6 new tires and the repair to my baggage doors. I was really impressed with the customer service and they were incredibly understanding. I thought they were going to send me actual tires but they kind of just left it up to me to decide if i will use samsons again. The shop i want to use doesnt even sell samson. They want to sell me sumihotos. I feel a little guilty but it is what it is.

6 new sumihoto tires mounted and balanced with “sandbags” along with an alignment, and i was quoted at roughly 2000 from my shop of choice. I priced around a few other places and they are all about the same. The chinese tires are definitely alot cheaper but i dont want to take a chance with my family riding in the rv! Lol

Octaneforce
Explorer
Explorer
I sent an email over to samson and gave them the situation. We’ll see what happens!

frankdamp
Explorer
Explorer
I've used Toyos on all the vehicles I've owned in the last 45 years, once the originals were replaced. These include both a Class C and a Class A. I've never had a failure. Three different failures happened with the tires supplied on the new vehicles at relatively low mileages.
Frank Damp, DW - Eileen, pet - female Labrador (10 yrs old), location Anacortes, WA, retired RVers (since Dec 2014)

10forty2
Explorer
Explorer
Hope you kept the carcass of the tire. If so, then call Samson and start a claim/investigation for a defective tire. I had the same happen to me on a brand new Goodyear G647 (date code less than 4 months old at the time). Although Goodyear did not formally say that the tire was bad, they DID reimburse my insurance company for the tire as well as the damages incurred by the blowout. The tread on the tire peeled off. It looked like there was rust on the wires under where the tread peeled off. And yeah, it will cause chaos to the coach itself!
1999 Holiday Rambler Endeavor, 36' Gasser
Triton V10, Ford F53 Chassis
-----------------------------------------

pusherpilot
Explorer
Explorer
rgatijnet1 wrote:
Tires sitting on a shelf should not deteriorate too bad, UNLESS they were stored in an area subject to a lot of ozone from electric motors or from the atmosphere. Some areas of the country have higher ozone levels than others.

I lived in So Cal where there is a high ozone content. 4 yr old Michelin's on my 3/4 ton PU looked worse than those Samson's! Michelin wouldn't even return my calls or e-mails.

rgatijnet1
Explorer III
Explorer III
Tires sitting on a shelf should not deteriorate too bad, UNLESS they were stored in an area subject to a lot of ozone from electric motors or from the atmosphere. Some areas of the country have higher ozone levels than others.

ACDNate
Explorer
Explorer
Have you contacted the manufacturer? 3 yr old tires shouldn't be having issues already.

Octaneforce
Explorer
Explorer
I guess these sat on the shelf for a while. Now i dont trust these tires. Is it worth switching to the metric size if i do all 6? Or just get the same size it has now? I might try the sumihotos. At the very least i need to get 2 new fronts like one member said and throw an old front on the rear.

bgum
Explorer
Explorer
No 39th week of 2015 soooooooooo the 39th week of 2018 they will be 3yo

September 2018

Octaneforce
Explorer
Explorer
Okay the inside of the tire says 3915. So these tires are more like 3 years old. Damnit.