cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Unimog becomes an Off Road Class C

RobertRyan
Explorer
Explorer
An Australian Couple who started Unidan( they convert Unimogs into Campers )have come together with Kimberley Kampers
to produce this extreme Off Road Camper. I have personally seen this conversion. the Campers are enormous. Unimogs are mainly second hand units that are converted

34 REPLIES 34

ronfisherman
Lets keep this thread on topic.
Unimog becomes an Off Road Class C
2004 Gulf Stream Endura 6340 D/A SOLD
2012 Chevy Captiva Toad SOLD

pnichols
Explorer II
Explorer II
Robert .... you're either not reading or not comprehending the underlying concept of what I'm posting.

I drive slow on heavy ruts, angled road surfaces, road washouts, and on heavy washboards with a motorhome .. as all off-highway TTs, 5-ers, Class As, Class B+s, Class Bs, and Class Cs, and Expedition rigs should ... whether they be in Australia or Siberia or Patagonia.

Farmers, ranchers, oil/gas field workers, quarry workers, mine workers, or whatever drivers out in the flat Australian outback on graded gravel roads can go as fast as they need to if their time is their money - as opposed to being out there for pure recreation purposes carrying along a big box full of all kinds of small items.

What's that you mentioned about "police" being out there on remote Australian roads where you'd think that only sportsman or boondockers would be?

My point is ... kind-of-remote off-highway RV boondocking where there's no others around can indeed be done selectively by owners of certain U.S.-built small motorhomes who want to get away from the crowds to camp. The comments I've been posting are to encourage those who haven't tried it but might be thinking about trying it.

There must be something you don't seem to be getting ... or you have some reason(s) to think that a 400 series Ford chassis carrying only 80-85% of it's design maximum isn't up to the task. :h
2005 E450 Itasca 24V Class C

wolfe10
Explorer
Explorer
There is absolutely a very wide range of that counts as graded dirt road and therefore a wide range of what is a same speed.

It can range from 5 mph is a little too fast to 50 MPH is just fine.

Drove the Alcan 40 years ago (before it was paved). Admittedly many sections were graded gravel, but it was early in the season and quite a few areas were really dirt. Truckers were consistently driving 60+ MPH and I did not see a single accident on the 1500 miles of "unpaved" road.
Brett Wolfe
Ex: 2003 Alpine 38'FDDS
Ex: 1997 Safari 35'
Ex: 1993 Foretravel U240

Diesel RV Club:http://www.dieselrvclub.org/

pnichols
Explorer II
Explorer II
RobertRyan wrote:
Going 10mph on a graded dirt road here would make you a very dangerous driver when everyone else is doing 50mph.

You gotta be kidding!

This is an RV'ing forum about travel and camping using an RV ..... and as such are you trying to tell us it's "OK" when boondock camping out in the middle of nowhere to travel to/from and around out there at 50 MPH speeds in an RV on dirt roads like this ... surely you jest. I especially wouldn't travel like that in an ultra-expensive, tall, and narrow expedition vehicle:

P.S. That photo above is of a remote road going down towards the White River in South Dakota. We camped just a little ways from where this photo was taken. It's a beautiful, pristine, and little visited area ... especially by RV'ers.

RobertRyan
Explorer
Explorer
pnichols wrote:
RobertRyan wrote:
They would pass as roads in outback Australia part of a dirt road highway .,They would be doing 50mph or faster not 5miles per hour.

The only time I go extremely slow on those kind of roads is when I have to cross washouts or when the road is heavily washboarded ... as one should do in any kind of RV vehicle in those scenarios.

Going 50 MPH on remote outback roads where anything at anytime could show up ahead, or from the sides, is ludicrous. At the very least, that sure woudn't be my and many people's type of "RV'ing". Even ranchers or other workers out there IMHO shouldn't blast along at those speeds - but I've seen them do it in pickup trucks when we were out there - sadly - for them and those who had to eat their dust.

I didn't take a photo - but the first 1/4 mile of the downhill entrance into Monument Valley's lower "Not Recommended for RVs" scenic loop is a nasty thing for an RV to try. With our ground clearance, wide rear track relative to coach height, stiff suspension, and at a slow speed going in and climbing out - we handled it just fine and thoroughly enjoyed the loop on the valley floor. Take a look at it the next time you're able to come and visit.

You said going 50mph on dirt roads is โ€œludicrousโ€,Going 10mph on a graded dirt road here would make you a very dangerous driver when everyone else is doing 50mph. You would be fined by the Police. Doing the same on a freeway would bring a fine.
Well I suggest you steer clear of dirt roads as you have no idea on how too drive on
them by your posts

pnichols
Explorer II
Explorer II
RobertRyan wrote:
They would pass as roads in outback Australia part of a dirt road highway .,They would be doing 50mph or faster not 5miles per hour.

The only time I go extremely slow on those kind of roads is when I have to cross washouts or when the road is heavily washboarded ... as one should do in any kind of RV vehicle in those scenarios.

Going 50 MPH on remote outback roads where anything at anytime could show up ahead, or from the sides, is ludicrous. At the very least, that sure woudn't be my and many people's type of "RV'ing". Even ranchers or other workers out there IMHO shouldn't blast along at those speeds - but I've seen them do it in pickup trucks when we were out there - sadly - for them and those who had to eat their dust.

I didn't take a photo - but the first 1/4 mile of the downhill entrance into Monument Valley's lower "Not Recommended for RVs" scenic loop is a nasty thing for an RV to try. With our ground clearance, wide rear track relative to coach height, stiff suspension, and at a slow speed going in and climbing out - we handled it just fine and thoroughly enjoyed the loop on the valley floor. Take a look at it the next time you're able to come and visit.

klutchdust
Explorer II
Explorer II

What I heard,...."you're OK, you're Ok......then silence. That's my spotter digging us out. NBD, used the hydraulic jacks and some wood. We stayed there once we backed up.

RobertRyan
Explorer
Explorer
Pnichols wrote:
Here's some samples of off-highway roads and spots where our small E450 Class C has been out in the middle of nowhere exploring and camping, no expedition vehicle or AWD SUV required ... just the will to do it, going slow, and using caution in dry weather (the 2nd photo down is not our Class C - but our traveling friends who were ahead of us when I took the photo traveling behind them):

Like I said your assertion that you have gone Off Road is total fantasy, thanks for confirming it

pnichols
Explorer II
Explorer II
RobertRyan wrote:
Not really. A lot of places have no tracks. Australia is a big place. So you admit as I have often stated you have never been Off Road ,. Off Highway would be driving down your driveway going by what you have posted

Here's some samples of off-highway roads and spots where our small E450 Class C has been out in the middle of nowhere exploring and camping, no expedition vehicle or AWD SUV required ... just the will to do it, going slow, and using caution in dry weather (the 2nd photo down is not our Class C - but our traveling friends who were ahead of us when I took the photo traveling behind them):

RobertRyan
Explorer
Explorer
pnichols wrote:
RobertRyan wrote:
In other words you do not drive Off Road

Robert ... that's why I started some time ago using the term "off-highway" for what we do instead of off-road.

AFAIK, driving over raw Mother Nature (in other words "Off-Road") is getting more and more frowned upon all over the world except in designated areas.

Even in the photos I see of vehicles in the wild Australian Outback - the vehicles are still following two tracks that are already there - as we have done in our Class C only if the rockhounding requires it.

Not really. A lot of places have no tracks. Australia is a big place. So you admit as I have often stated you have never been Off Road ,. Off Highway would be driving down your driveway going by what you have posted

klutchdust
Explorer II
Explorer II
Saw this on display in Pomona years ago.....

pnichols
Explorer II
Explorer II
RobertRyan wrote:
In other words you do not drive Off Road

Robert ... that's why I started some time ago using the term "off-highway" for what we do instead of off-road.

AFAIK, driving over raw Mother Nature (in other words "Off-Road") is getting more and more frowned upon all over the world except in designated areas.

Even in the photos I see of vehicles in the wild Australian Outback - the vehicles are still following two tracks that are already there - as we have done in our Class C only if the rockhounding requires it.

RobertRyan
Explorer
Explorer
Of course with 2WD, we go off-highway on only dry roads. We don't attempt anything like jeep trails or allmost-ATV trails and we don't try driving completely off-road illegally out across dirt, sand, or wild shrubbery. And most important of all, we off-highway travel SLOW ... our record slow-and-careful side trip so far is around 50 round-trip miles at 7-10 MPH.

In other words you do not drive Off Road:h

RobertRyan
Explorer
Explorer
pnichols wrote:
Robert,

My bottom photo above is NOT of an Earthroamer. It's one of the GXV offerings based on a Ford F550 chassis - built in Missouri, I believe.

Earthroamer uses the same chassis