cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Rattle Snakes

docsouce
Explorer II
Explorer II
My wife and I are going to be slow poke RVing for 8 to 10 weeks in New Mexico, Arizona, Utah and Colorado. Be leaving mid June. I've spent the last couple of hours on internet searches, and I searched here about rattle snakes. I know there are lots and lots of people that live around them.. I live in New england. I have never seen one. My searches gave me good info, and I always try to be aware of my surroundings. But I found an interesting comment here. It mentioned that if camped out at Gouldings RV park in Monument Valley and take a walk to the Natural Bridge, keep an eye out for rattle snakes (what is different about this trail?). I'm sure they can be anywhere and Google gave me good examples. But I've found folks here usually have certain situations that raises their attention level. Mostly from personal experience. Some basic tips would be appreciated. We plan on doing a lot of boondocking. No panic here nor am I changing my plans. Just askin.
2020 JAYCO 26XD
Just right for the two of us!
121 REPLIES 121

LJAZ
Explorer
Explorer
jasoncw wrote:
We were at Gouldings a couple weeks ago. Only stayed one night, but the kids and I hiked all over their trails, and we never saw a rattlesnake (yes, we were looking).

Just because you didn't see one doesn't mean one wasn't there. They are incredibly good at blending into the surroundings.

We lived in our house for several years and never once saw a rattlesnake in the yard. Then we got a dog that would bark at them. He found 4 over that summer.
2011 Chevy Silverado Crew Cab 4X4
2009 Funfinder 210 WBS
Prodigy P3

down_home
Explorer
Explorer
I haven't read all the posts so someone may have covered this.
Snake boots up to knee. Bass Pro did have some with nice looking with excellent chestnut leather feet and canvas tops that breathed but no snake could get though it.LL Bean and others too.
Several of the better Outdoor magazines have ads of excellent shooting attire and boots for snakes and brush country. Suitable for fashionable wear anywhere including horse.
Then there are the English boots that predate cowboy boots up to the knees if they say snake proof. Really put the dog on.:)
Shooting Classics, Cowboy and Indian and similar mags some times have those ads.
Then a .38 or 357.or.44 our inch barrel or 6 inch, or 2 inch, or whatever suits you with a six or 7 shot, in one Ruger .357 model, single ro double action and holster to match boots and belt etc. I like my old 2 inch Nickle Colt Lawman MkIII .357 in forward cant holster by Bianchi with snake shot.

jasoncw
Explorer
Explorer
We were at Gouldings a couple weeks ago. Only stayed one night, but the kids and I hiked all over their trails, and we never saw a rattlesnake (yes, we were looking).
2016 Jayco Eagle 324BHTS
2005 Ford Excursion 6.8L 4.56's, V/C Springs, PP 3P, P3

Past:
2011 Keystone Bullet Premier 31BHPR
2009 Forest River Flagstaff 830RBSS

RogerMorales
Explorer
Explorer
True!

suprz
Explorer
Explorer
Been to Gouldings, never saw one snake. Im willing to bet the odds are in your favor that you dont see one at all. Oh, and go on the all day tour through Monument Valley that you can get thru Gouldings. Its way better than just taking your own car thru. Best tour we havd ever been on! If "Leo" is still doing tours, get him for as guide ๐Ÿ˜‰
Proud father of a US Marine

Supercharged
Explorer
Explorer
Alway make sure you have your motherlaw two or three steps ahead of you. I have live in Az. 56 years and never had a bit yet.
So big a world, so little time to see.

derh20
Explorer
Explorer
If you do kill one, be careful !!! go to: https://www.nytimes.com/2018/06/07/us/rattlesnake-bites-man-texas.html

TechWriter
Explorer
Explorer
Severed Rattlesnake Head Bites Man
2004 - 2010 Part Timer (35โ€™ 2004 National RV Sea Breeze 8341 - Workhorse)
2010 - 2021 Full Timer (41โ€™ 2001 Newmar Mountain Aire 4095 DP - Cummins)
2021 - ??? Part Timer (31โ€™ 2001 National RV Sea View 8311 - Ford)
www.rvSeniorMoments.com
DISH TV for RVs

Bumpyroad
Explorer
Explorer
Ski Pro 3 wrote:
Mr.Mark wrote:
There is no shortage of snakes, except in Hawaii!

MM.

New Zealand too!

isn't New Zealand where that guy/gal Peter Pan drove all of the snakes out??????????? ๐Ÿ™‚
bumpy

Bumpyroad
Explorer
Explorer

Ski_Pro_3
Explorer
Explorer
Mr.Mark wrote:

MM.

New Zealand too!

Mr_Mark1
Explorer
Explorer

MM.
Mr.Mark
2021.5 Pleasure Way Plateau FL Class-B on the Sprinter Chassis
2018 Mini Cooper Hardtop Coupe, 2 dr., 6-speed manual
(SOLD) 2015 Prevost Liberty Coach, 45 ft, 500 hp Volvo
(SOLD) 2008 Monaco Dynasty, 42 ft, 425 hp Cummins

Bobbo
Explorer II
Explorer II
JaxDad wrote:
Bobbo wrote:
down home wrote:
Picked up one as a child at Grand Ma's near back door and chased my Uncle with it. I was not four yet. Ha a hard time letting go of it. Uncle Jim, the Sheriff, shot it's head off while I held it. Grand Ma and Mam like to have had a hissy fit. Didn't know that a Rattle Snake was supposed to be dangerous.

I was visiting a friend one time when his 10 year old son walked up to show his dad this neat snake he found. It was a copperhead. Fortunately, the kid picked it up right behind the head. The dad calmly told him to hold the snake just like that for a minute, went in the house and came out with a sheath knife. He had the kid hold the snake's head against the ground, and drove the knife through the snake's head pinning it to the ground. The dad then had "vigorous" words with his son.

Yeah, lots of folks perpetuate that whole โ€˜better to kill it than just leave it aloneโ€™ myth.

Iโ€™ll bet a whole bunch of indigenous people would still be here if.........

Oh, never mind..........

Would you care to elaborate on how this dad should have had his son put down the ticked off copperhead? The "vigorous words" he had with his son, oh never mind..................
Bobbo and Lin
2017 F-150 XLT 4x4 SuperCab w/Max Tow Package 3.5l EcoBoost V6
2017 Airstream Flying Cloud 23FB

TechWriter
Explorer
Explorer
JaxDad wrote:
Bobbo wrote:

I was visiting a friend one time when his 10 year old son walked up to show his dad this neat snake he found. It was a copperhead. Fortunately, the kid picked it up right behind the head. The dad calmly told him to hold the snake just like that for a minute, went in the house and came out with a sheath knife. He had the kid hold the snake's head against the ground, and drove the knife through the snake's head pinning it to the ground.

Yeah, lots of folks perpetuate that whole โ€˜better to kill it than just leave it aloneโ€™ myth.

Iโ€™ll bet a whole bunch of indigenous people would still be here if.........

So what would you have done in that situation? I imagine you have a lot of experience with poisonous snakes in the Greater Toronto Area, eh?

BTW, your snakes / indigenous people metaphor . . . really?
2004 - 2010 Part Timer (35โ€™ 2004 National RV Sea Breeze 8341 - Workhorse)
2010 - 2021 Full Timer (41โ€™ 2001 Newmar Mountain Aire 4095 DP - Cummins)
2021 - ??? Part Timer (31โ€™ 2001 National RV Sea View 8311 - Ford)
www.rvSeniorMoments.com
DISH TV for RVs