cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Big Rig friendly campgrounds in Colorado?

JAC1982
Explorer
Explorer
I am wondering if anybody has any suggestions for big rig friendly campgrounds that would be a reasonable drive from Denver? We upgraded to our big 5er last year, and are having difficulties finding places to go that aren't 3+ hours away from Denver. We are close to 60' long hitched up, and while we have no issue finding places that can accomodate our length in the actual parking spot, it is difficult to get in and out of said spots. Height is also an issue as we are just above 13' high so lower hanging trees become a hazard.

This came about as we had a spot booked for this weekend at Carter Lake, and we drove out there to take a look at it yesterday, and even though the pictures made it look clear, it had some low hanging trees both on the road to go into the campground, and on the actual spot, that would most definitely do some damage to our trailer. Last year, we camped at Flatiron Reservoir, and again, we could fit in the spot fine, their boulder placement made it hard for us to swing out wide enough to leave our spot and also clear the trees. We ended up damaging the side of the trailer on the tree just to get out.

I'm familiar with places we can go/fit in on the Western Slope, and in Wyoming, but not so much anywhere near the Front Range. I'm starting to think we need a second little trailer just for quick weekend trips!
2020 Keystone Montana High Country 294RL
2017 Ford F350 DRW King Ranch
2021 Ford F350 SRW Lariat Tremor
20 REPLIES 20

CObroker
Explorer
Explorer
We know some good boondocking spots near Jefferson (1.75 hrs from our door to spot), Buena Vista we just tried last weekend (about 2.75 hrs door to spot), and of course the Round Mountain area is easy has quite a few spots as well.
2017 Ram 3500 SRW w/Aisin
2017 Keystone Carbon 364
2 2017 Suzuki RMX450z bikes
2 Santa Cruz 5010 mtn bikes
2 cats...

JAC1982
Explorer
Explorer
fanrgs wrote:
JAC1982 wrote:
Is the key with Jackson Lake to go earlier in the season? I was told there was an unusual amount of bugs and it's very windy, but that may be later on in the summer.
When there is wind, there is no bug problem! Seriously though, anywhere northeast of Denver is susceptible to afternoon thunder showers with wind in spring and summer. When I had a sailboat, we generally had to wait until 1:00 PM to put it in the water because there wasn't enough wind to sail in the morning. So, I guess some RVers at Jackson Lake probably like the wind!

We carry two big citronella candles (in steel cans with lids and handles) in the 5th wheel. We set one on a tv tray between our lawn chairs if we are just sitting and one at each end of the picnic table when eating outside. It didn't help in Alaska, it it has worked everywhere else.

Living just outside Brighton, I'm very familiar with the wind! That's why we try to avoid it when camping. We've found that these "citronella sticks" that smolder like cigars are pretty effective for mosquitos. I guess I'm just looking for more of a "mountain" experience when camping instead of a terrain exactly like where we live. We'll probably check out Jackson at some point though, maybe in the fall.

fanrgs
Explorer
Explorer
JAC1982 wrote:
Is the key with Jackson Lake to go earlier in the season? I was told there was an unusual amount of bugs and it's very windy, but that may be later on in the summer.
When there is wind, there is no bug problem! Seriously though, anywhere northeast of Denver is susceptible to afternoon thunder showers with wind in spring and summer. When I had a sailboat, we generally had to wait until 1:00 PM to put it in the water because there wasn't enough wind to sail in the morning. So, I guess some RVers at Jackson Lake probably like the wind!

We carry two big citronella candles (in steel cans with lids and handles) in the 5th wheel. We set one on a tv tray between our lawn chairs if we are just sitting and one at each end of the picnic table when eating outside. It didn't help in Alaska, it it has worked everywhere else.
"Retirement is the best job I ever had!"
2015 RAM 2500 4x4 crewcab 6.7L CTD; 2016 Rockwood Signature UltraLite 5th wheel

2gypsies1
Explorer
Explorer
There a publication online called 'Big Rigs Best Bets' that might help.
Full-Timed for 16 Years
.... Back in S&B Again
Traveled 8 yr in a 40' 2004 Newmar Dutch Star Motorhome
& 8 yr in a 33' Travel Supreme 5th Wheel

JAC1982
Explorer
Explorer
I use the toll (northern part of E-470 and NW Toll) at least once a week for my work commute... the tolls are definitely not cancelled, that would be a dream come true though!

Thom02099
Explorer II
Explorer II
cruiserjs wrote:
JAC1982 wrote:
ependydad wrote:
In Colorado Springs (not sure if that's within your distance constraint), we stayed at Mountain Dale RV & Cabins with our 42' fifth wheel + 22' crew cab/long bed truck. We also drove through Cheyenne State Park and felt it was big rig friendly.

Yeah, the Springs is a bit far for a Friday afternoon-Sunday afternoon trip, probably about 2 hours if we pony up the big bucks to take the toll road around Denver, but doable for a long weekend. I'll note down Mountain Dale, thank you!

nOTE THAT, ACCORDING TO THE Denver pOST THE TOLLS ON THAT "TOLL ROAD" AROUND THE CCITY HAVE BEEN CANCELLED!
Oops - sorry about the caps - senior moment with fat fingers!!

Uhhhh...No. The tolls have not been cancelled. Far from it.

H E R E - E-470 2018 Tolls is the current information on the tolls in place. And H E R E - Denver Post Article is an old Denver Post article that the E-470 Authority was FREEZING increases, in an attempt to get folks to sign up for ExpressToll.
2007 GMC Sierra SLE 3500HD Dually
2016 Coachmen Catalina Legacy Edition 243RBS
2007 Keystone Outback 25RSS - R.I.P.

cruiserjs
Explorer
Explorer
JAC1982 wrote:
ependydad wrote:
In Colorado Springs (not sure if that's within your distance constraint), we stayed at Mountain Dale RV & Cabins with our 42' fifth wheel + 22' crew cab/long bed truck. We also drove through Cheyenne State Park and felt it was big rig friendly.

Yeah, the Springs is a bit far for a Friday afternoon-Sunday afternoon trip, probably about 2 hours if we pony up the big bucks to take the toll road around Denver, but doable for a long weekend. I'll note down Mountain Dale, thank you!

nOTE THAT, ACCORDING TO THE Denver pOST THE TOLLS ON THAT "TOLL ROAD" AROUND THE CCITY HAVE BEEN CANCELLED!
Oops - sorry about the caps - senior moment with fat fingers!!
Colorado Cruiser
Cruiser CF29CK 5th wheel; 2009 GMC Sierra 2500HD, 2wd, short bed
wonderful lifetime traveling companion/spouse

JAC1982
Explorer
Explorer
fanrgs wrote:
We also have a 5th wheel and live in the Denver area. We have tried most of the state parks within 2 hours of Denver and they are obviously all popular just due to the number of people who live here. From Brighton, however, you are only an hour or so from Jackson Lake SP near Ft. Morgan. If you have a boat of some kind, the lake is fun; if you are a fisherman, birder, or photographer, it is also part wildlife refuge; and if you just want to sit in a lawn chair and relax, it is fine for that too. There are plenty of long sites and even a few with shade. And no nearby suburban subdivisions!

If you want some inexpensive camping ideas in the mountains, take a look at my blog at https://2fanrgs.blogspot.com. I include some campgrounds and boondocking sites near all the US highways on the Western Slope, most of which we have used in the past for tent camping, our original travel trailer,or current 5th wheel.

I will check out your blog, thank you!

JAC1982
Explorer
Explorer
Thanks all! Is the key with Jackson Lake to go earlier in the season? I was told there was an unusual amount of bugs and it's very windy, but that may be later on in the summer. We don't have a boat or anything but being near water is always nice ๐Ÿ™‚

Thom02099
Explorer II
Explorer II
fanrgs wrote:
We also have a 5th wheel and live in the Denver area. We have tried most of the state parks within 2 hours of Denver and they are obviously all popular just due to the number of people who live here. From Brighton, however, you are only an hour or so from Jackson Lake SP near Ft. Morgan. If you have a boat of some kind, the lake is fun; if you are a fisherman, birder, or photographer, it is also part wildlife refuge; and if you just want to sit in a lawn chair and relax, it is fine for that too. There are plenty of long sites and even a few with shade. And no nearby suburban subdivisions!

If you want some inexpensive camping ideas in the mountains, take a look at my blog at https://2fanrgs.blogspot.com. I include some campgrounds and boondocking sites near all the US highways on the Western Slope, most of which we have used in the past for tent camping, our original travel trailer,or current 5th wheel.

Jackson Lake SP is wonderful! Was just out there this past weekend, first trip of the season. Was in Lakeside loop, there were quite a number of large 5ers in that loop. Some trees in that loop, but nothing that would be a hazard for a big rig.

A total of 5 different loops, all but one (except tent sites) have electricity. The exception is Fox Hills loop. Northview loop is nice, is at the end of the road north of the marina, sort of up on an overlook, great views of the lake from a distance. Bike/hiking trail connects all of the loops, lots of birds all over the place.
2007 GMC Sierra SLE 3500HD Dually
2016 Coachmen Catalina Legacy Edition 243RBS
2007 Keystone Outback 25RSS - R.I.P.

fanrgs
Explorer
Explorer

"Retirement is the best job I ever had!"
2015 RAM 2500 4x4 crewcab 6.7L CTD; 2016 Rockwood Signature UltraLite 5th wheel

Busskipper
Explorer
Explorer
Lot's of good info -

https://www.colorado.com/activities/colorado-state-parks

Most of the state parks are GREAT.

Thom - Fanrgs - 4runnerguy - all have tons of great info on the Colorado parks.

Best of Luck, take a few pictures as you head out and explore.
Busskipper
Maryland/Colorado
Travel Supreme 42DS04
GX470-FMCA - Travel less now - But still love to be on the Road
States traveled in this Coach

craig7h
Nomad
Nomad
I am a fan of St. Vrain State Park in Longmont. Wide open, concrete pads, full hook up.
Itasca Meridian SE 36g
Road Master Tow Dolly

Dennis_M_M
Explorer
Explorer
Trinidad Lake has a number of large spots. We usually come through there in spring or fall and try to reserve site 012. nice long pull through, not quite flat though.
'99 Volvo VNL610 - 425 HP Volvo; Super 10 Spd
'13 smart CityFlame on Volvo
'05 Newmar Mountain Aire 35 BLKS
Trailer Saver; Bigfoot; Pressure-Pro.
Our Travel Blog - A New Adventure