cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Water Filter Woes

stargirl96
Explorer
Explorer
I finally found the water filter behind an access panel in the rear storage bay of our Jayco Greyhawk ME. It is very inconvenient as you have to lay on your side to remove it. I've tried to use the spanner wrench to unscrew the filter housing, but no luck. So I will probably end up having to take it to an RV dealer to have this simple thing done and spend $100 or more. Would it be better to have the RV mechanic do a bypass valve rather than pay to have him remove and install water filters once or twice a year. I understand you can put a water filter on your hose in place of a whole house filter. Thanks for your help.
13 REPLIES 13

ronfisherman
If you remove the filter and put housing back on. You would need to remove housing to get water out if there is a need to wintize your RV. I would bypass the filter assembly.
2004 Gulf Stream Endura 6340 D/A SOLD
2012 Chevy Captiva Toad SOLD

T18skyguy
Explorer
Explorer
We took the filter out and left it out. We drink bottled water which we store in the stove. I was never comfortable drinking campground water, we just use it to shower and flush.
Retired Anesthetist. LTP. Pilot with mechanic/inspection ratings. Between rigs right now.. Wife and daughter. Four cats which we must obey.

RVchamp420
Explorer
Explorer
Beverley&Ken wrote:
As Bob said, "Turn off your water supply and try again" In addition, open at tap or two in order to relieve all pressure in the system. That is the only way I can change the filters at home (basically same filter housings).

Ken

Exactly. Open the faucets to relieve pressure. This will definitely help. Put a bucket underneath to collect water. Make sure you're turning the filter housing counter-clockwise. To make it easier for next time, apply some food grade silicone lubricant on the o-rings when you're re-tightening the housing.

ron_dittmer
Explorer
Explorer
I have a bell jar whole house filter at home for the main house. I installed it in 1988 and use it to this day. Back in those days the spanner wrenches were made of stamped steel. I position the steel wrench at the top and with one gentle swing of a 2 pound sledge hammer, the thing is loose.

When installing the bell jar with a new sediment filter, I clean the black "O" ring and re-apply a thin film of Petroleum jelly on it.

I searched the web and found steel spanner wrenches sold HERE. Mine looks nearly identical to this one.

Bumpyroad
Explorer
Explorer
stargirl96 wrote:
I have another question on this topic. Can we just leave the water filter where it is and use a water filter attached to our hose?

yep, that's what I would do. my chieftain came with a filter under the sink that stayed in the kitchen drawer for the 14 years I had it.
bumpy

ronfisherman
I remove filters with a large pair of Channel Lock type pliers. Most tools provided to take filters apart do not have long enough arm to apply enough pressure.
If there is not enough room to get at filter with the pliers try a oil filter pliers as suggested above.
2004 Gulf Stream Endura 6340 D/A SOLD
2012 Chevy Captiva Toad SOLD

Beverley_Ken
Explorer
Explorer
As Bob said, "Turn off your water supply and try again" In addition, open at tap or two in order to relieve all pressure in the system. That is the only way I can change the filters at home (basically same filter housings).

Ken
2006 Winnebago Outlook 29B E-450.
2012 Honda CR-V AWD
Blue Ox Aventa LX tow bar and Brake Buddy Vantage.

bob213
Explorer
Explorer
Turn off your water supply and try again. A strap wrench might do it if the spanner won't. I bypassed and removed mine. If you just take the filter out the canister will still fill with water and sit there after each use which could lead to mold and could freeze during winter. I put two bolts thru my rear bumper and hang my filter off that(with wing nuts). I remove it when I'm done, throw the filter in the sink where it will drain and dry out to be ready for next trip.
You can avoid reality, but you cannot avoid the consequences of avoiding reality โ€“ Ayn Rand

newman_fulltime
Explorer
Explorer
Put the wrench on it and hut ut with the palsm of your hand till it breaks loose just pulling on it won't break it loose

K_Charles
Explorer
Explorer
You must have a neighbor who could do that for you. An Apple pie or a six pack would be more then enough payment where we live.

A1RVTraveler
Explorer
Explorer
You could have someone pull the element out of the filter housing and then reinstall the housing. Then use an outside filter. If you don't pull out the element, it will slowly plug up and you will have no water flow.

Halmfamily
Explorer
Explorer
If it were me I would bypass the water filter and as you said use an inline filter on your water hose.
2008 GMC Sierra 3500 SLT DRW D/A 4x4 (Big All)
2006 Ford F350 PSD SRW King Ranch 4x4 (Henry) (Sold)
B&W Companion, 90 Aux Fuel Tank, Scan Gauge II, Curt f/m hitch, Swagman XC
2015 Forest River Sierra 360 PDEK
DW Diane, DS Michael, FB Draco and Sabian

stargirl96
Explorer
Explorer
I have another question on this topic. Can we just leave the water filter where it is and use a water filter attached to our hose?