cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Full tiime site cost

ila123
Explorer
Explorer
We have our house for sale. We made an offer on some land and hopefully will get to purchase it. We are still trying to decide if we want to do that or live in RV parks. I pretty well have our expenses figured put if we but the land. But i have no idea what monthly rates in an RV park or campground would run.

What is the highest rate tou have seen/paid? What do you consider to be an average rate?

I realize rates will vary a cording to location. But i just want a general idea.

The reason we decided on an RV and not to build is that we are both 77, have family in other states, and thought when one of us passes the other would probably move to where family is. We would have a place to live and only have to deal with selling land. Which, where we live should be fairly easy.
22 REPLIES 22

rockhillmanor
Explorer
Explorer
No matter what you decide all I will add is to CHECK, CHECK, CHECK CHECK with the "County" Zoning departments for the county where you decide to buy property.

I spent a year looking for open land to do what you want to do.

And I found that no matter how deep into the woods you go it doesn't matter, because almost all County Zoning Boards across the USA have been pressured to bring their zoning codes up to snuff with all the new environmental laws and statutes.

They are just looking at a map and boundaries NOT concentration of homes or not, open woods or not. They blanket the new zoning codes per county lines and nothing more. The 'local town offices' will most likely NOT even know of all the zoning codes in place. You HAVE to go to the "County Zoning Board" to find out before you purchase your land.

These zoning codes are on the books. Like no living in or parking of RV's, no dumping of waste or gray waters, permits for septic, water, requirements for electric and in some cases even what type and how large of a home can be built etc, etc.

All it takes is one nosy passer by to see an RV and sewage lines coming out of an RV, and they are running for code enforcement.

Been there did that and I have a couple of RV friends that bought property way out in the woods to 'live in their RV' per-sea without doing the research on what codes were in place, and had to remove their RV due to someone turning them in for zoning codes violations and then sadly all they where left with was an unusable piece of property and the taxes for it. ๐Ÿ˜ž

Just saying I thought this would be of help for you so you don't end up having problems down the line. :C

We must be willing to get rid of the life we've planned,
so as to have the life that is waiting for us.

mr__ed
Explorer
Explorer
Some mobile home parks let RVers rent a space for a reasonable charge, plus electric. A few years ago I rented a spot in a nice mobile home park in Conway, AR. I forget what the rate was, but it was on par with a typical RV park. There is a mobile home park very near my current location in Tucson that has a sign stating "RV spaces available" and I've seen motorhomes and trailers often parked there.
Mr. Ed (fulltiming since 1987)
Life is fragile. Handle with prayer.

2007 Hitchhiker II LS Model 29.5 LKTG (sold)
2007 Dodge Ram 3500/6.7 CTD/QC/4X4/SB/SRW/6-speed man/Big Horn edition (sold)

tatest
Explorer II
Explorer II
It is all about land values. It might be as low as $200-400 a month in the rural south or southwest, even lower during the summer in southern snowbird colonies. It can be $2000-4000 a month anywhere close to a major metropolitan area, i.e. about the cost of a tiny studio apartment in a scruffy neighborhood.

Season comes into this as well. Along the mid-Atlantic coast, in resort parks on or near the beach, winter rates might be $500 a month for sites that are $500 a week in peak season. South Florida, this reverses, the high is winter, the off-season is summer.
Tom Test
Itasca Spirit 29B

ila123
Explorer
Explorer
I really appreciate all your comments. As for the expense of utilities, etc. we are on a main road with water and electricity readily available. The biggest expense will be the septic system and what we have after selling the house should take care of that.

At our age we may need our heads examined since my husband plans on doing the clearing himself. But, I said if we both die doing all this at least it will be doing what we really care about.

DancinCampers
Explorer II
Explorer II
I would recommend checking out what the Escapee RV Club has to offer. The renewable lots (ERPU)would be worth looking into. They also have a program at their headquarters in Livingston, TX, called C.A.R.E.
Dan & Sharon (Kasey, Our Yorkie, RIP 9Jan'05-26Jul'17)
2012 Winnebago Journey 36M
2020 Chevy Equinox, Blue Ox Aventa II, Air Force One

If You Obey All The Rules, You Miss All The Fun

wannavolunteerF
Explorer
Explorer
ila123, I plan to use a family owned farm in the same area very similarly. The farm is not a row crop farm, just timber for the last 40+ years. Since it is timber farm and my brother hunts there, what little maintenance is needed is done in preparation for deer season. There is electricity, but I will have well and septic put in (after we cut and replant in the next year) in the same area. I will be just across the river and a bit north, but in the same part of the world. I figure the investment of the well and septic tank will be worth it, to give me a place to go when I don't feel like traveling. Far enough South that we have little real winter weather, but not in the chaos of FL.
2015 FR Georgetown 378TS

valhalla360
Nomad
Nomad
ila123 wrote:
Thanks for all the replies. For budgeting purposes, I figured on $500 a month and seems like I was about eight.

My figures show that it would be cheaper for us to own land rather than rent from a park. We do not plan on doing much traveling. Just back to Arkansas to visit my family and to Georgia to visit his family. We plan on leaving the land natural so we will seem like we are in the woods.

Thanks again, for all the replies and help.

Just out of curiosity, what are you plans/costs to develop a piece of land with purchase, driveway install, power install, water well, septic system, etc...Plus what do you expect for property taxes and building permits to install this?

Maybe if you have the background to do and it's in an area with very little govt intervention, you can come close but I would be shocked it it was cheaper.

No problem if you really want to own, do it but I can't see how the numbers work out cheaper.
Tammy & Mike
Ford F250 V10
2021 Gray Wolf
Gemini Catamaran 34'
Full Time spliting time between boat and RV

colliehauler
Explorer
Explorer
Another thing to consider is if you like privacy or having other people around.

If it's just land like others have said you have have to deal with water sewer electric trash and property taxes.

I have a seasonal up North and for what it would cost to run power put in septic and drill a well and I could rent for the rest of my life a lot cheaper and not have to deal with maintaining property. I also enjoy having other people around especially if there is a medical problems.

It all boils down to personal choice and what works best for you.

ila123
Explorer
Explorer
Thanks for all the replies. For budgeting purposes, I figured on $500 a month and seems like I was about eight.

My figures show that it would be cheaper for us to own land rather than rent from a park. We do not plan on doing much traveling. Just back to Arkansas to visit my family and to Georgia to visit his family. We plan on leaving the land natural so we will seem like we are in the woods.

Thanks again, for all the replies and help.

Aridon
Explorer
Explorer
You can get a spot in an ownership park. Buy the lot and use it as a home base to travel out from or just live there full time. All you would have to worry about is taxes and HOA in most places.

Even in expensive areas, like SE FL during season, rent would run $1700 a month while owning the lot would be $220 for the HOA and another $100 for taxes. Pretty **** cheap.
2019 Grand Design Momentum 395
2018 Ram 3500 DRW 4.10

2014.5 DRV Atlanta (sold)

2008 Newmar 4330 (Modified) Sold

ila123
Explorer
Explorer
PawPaw_n_Gram wrote:
If you are located in the southeast corner of Alabama like your profile states, you will have minimal regulation about setting up a permanent pad on rural property you own. Just remember you need to set-up water, sewer and electric service just like you were building a home.

A quick check shows you should be able to find a RV facility with monthly stays in that area for under $500 a month plus the cost of metered electricity. That would be an RV Park that focuses on long term residents. The only โ€˜amenityโ€™ would be a laundry facility. Coin operated of course. No WiFI. You would probably have to pay for a land phone line if you wanted reliable internet.

No lounge / activity building, no community activities, no pool, etc.

Closer to the coast but north of I-10 you should find several RV parks which focus on winter snowbirds. A fair park with an activity building and some planned group activities could be found for something near $600 per month plus metered electricity. However some of those parks do not want full-time residents in the summer.

A couple of our friends recently moved their permanent base from Arkansas to the Escapees Rainbow Plantation RV Park in Summerdale, on the east side of Mobile Bay - as long time Escapees members their rate will be under $400 plus electric. (Long term permanent sites are limited at that park and there is a waiting list).

Get the AllStays app or RVParky app for your smart phone. Or use their websites on your computer. Locate some RV parks in the area you are interested, and start calling them. No matter how far you have to travel, be sure to visit and talk to some at any park before you pay any money/ sign any contract.

Thanks. All the rates seem to be I. Line with what I figured.

Funny that you should mention friends from Arkansas. We moved here for Arkansas.

ila123
Explorer
Explorer
donn0128 wrote:
Park rates vary widely. They can run fron as low as 250 to as much as a thousand a month. Plus electricity. It all depends on amenities, location, and demand. If your going to sit permanently firget an RV and getmeither a park model or a mfg home. Either would give you more room, have better insulation, and be far cheaper.

Thank you for your opinion, but we have thought about and talked about this and have made our decision. We feel like it fits us better than any other choice. As with everything., not all things work for all people.

johnhicks
Explorer
Explorer
You can live here in central Florida for $350/mo + electric. Nice place on a river, no amenities other than laundry, friendly people. NOT a resort.

A little farther north, also $350 + electric. In this case no laundry.

A bit northwest in Florida, a "resort" that's actually very nice complete with pool, laundry and Barking Dog Lane, $400 + electric.

Right now there's no way I'd fool with land unless it was given to me.
-jbh-

doxiemom11
Explorer II
Explorer II
The most we have paid is $400 mo plus electric in MS, TX, AZ and now NM. The seasonal rates are even cheaper. We are currently in a park for $150 mo+ elec. Small, clean, neat as a pin, beautiful view and friendly people.