cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Weight distribution

edd210
Explorer
Explorer
I have a 2017 F250 with tow package and I am pulling a 2017 Coleman 192RD approx. weight 5500 pounds. I have a sway bar but no weight distribution. The truck pulls it with no problem. I have read that in some states sway control is required by law, does anyone know if that includes weight distribution?
23 REPLIES 23

Flan
Explorer
Explorer
I have been towing my 27โ€™ trailer with just a factory trailer hitch and regular old ball setup. I have a 96 2500 Dodge and other then getting the slight amount of sway when a TT passes me it hasnโ€™t been to bad. I have about 1k miles towing around last year. There was one road in PA that was like a washboard and made for a miserable 4 miles. I wonder if a wd hitch would help me out. I have aftermarket timbren bump stops on the truck and I think they touch, if not they are close.
Heartland Prowler 27LX
19 Ram CTD 2500

wvabeer
Explorer
Explorer
I have towed with and without weight distribution with sway control as part of it. They do tow better. I used the Reese straight line system. Your headlights won't kill other drivers at night. I have never used the friction sway control.
1999 Dutch Star DP3884
2015 Camplite 6.8C
2012 Cherokee 39L destination
2022 F350 XL 4x4
07 FLHRS

John_Bridge
Explorer
Explorer
With a small trailer like yours and a 3/4 ton truck, I wouldn't worry about sway control or weight distribution unless you experience problems in that area. I have owned three travel trailers, and only one of them had serious sway problems.
Semi-"retarred" in 2006. ๐Ÿ™‚ 2008 Newmar Cypress 5th wheel, 2008 Dodge diesel dually to pull it with.

TomG2
Explorer
Explorer
Like the hitch salesperson said, "Perception is reality". If one "thinks" the $500 hitch improves the towing experience, it will improve the towing experience. I have and will continue to use one when required. I will also leave the heavy, noisy, dirty, time consuming things behind when I don't need one.

sgfrye
Explorer
Explorer
2Bargos wrote:
Kinda off topic,but try it with A WDH installed.

Weight wise ,your setup and mine are very similar.I have an 06 F250 towing a 2008 cherokee bunk house thats close to the same weight that you are towing.

I've tried my both ways.My truck handles the trailer fine without any Weight Dist. Out of Curiosity I spent a couple hours one evening setting my hitch up.

the hitch when setup took a good towing setup and made it excellent.
Short answer ,,truck and trailer tows like its one solid unit and basically only thing you feel is the added weight.

No sway,no rear bounce on rough spots in road,etc

x2 on this

i have a 2017 f250 gasser towing a loaded to camp weight 33 ft TT at approx 7500 lbs

i have towed short distances with no wdh and sway with no problems. with a good wdh and sway bar setup it tows much better... feels and tows like one unit. eliminates the bounce and sway well worth the money regardless

2Bargos
Explorer
Explorer
Kinda off topic,but try it with A WDH installed.

Weight wise ,your setup and mine are very similar.I have an 06 F250 towing a 2008 cherokee bunk house thats close to the same weight that you are towing.

I've tried my both ways.My truck handles the trailer fine without any Weight Dist. Out of Curiosity I spent a couple hours one evening setting my hitch up.

the hitch when setup took a good towing setup and made it excellent.
Short answer ,,truck and trailer tows like its one solid unit and basically only thing you feel is the added weight.

No sway,no rear bounce on rough spots in road,etc
2006 F-250
2008 Cherokee 28A+
2003 Harley Ultra
A wife that enjoys my hobbies as much as I do.
A Day Hemmed in prayer seldom comes unraveled

TomG2
Explorer
Explorer
The "Gotta have a weight distributing hitch" thing got started and promoted back when we towed with sedans and station wagons. Is the OP towing with a 1958 Buick Roadmaster? If not, and all hitch and weight ratings are in order then it will tow great with a modern F-250, 2500HD, etc. Read your owner's manuals for advice and recommendations.

It would be much more meaningful if people included actual scale weights when they ask for hitch advice.

Blazing_Zippers
Explorer II
Explorer II
There are lawn mowers guys and contractors that pull large trailers without sway control. As stated, chains are usually needed for a ball connection type hitch.
I can say (with extreme knowledge!!!) travel trailers can use sway control.

Lwiddis
Explorer
Explorer
โ€œThe hitch on my truck has a sticker that shows the same weight rating with or without weight distribution, 1500#โ€ Never seen or heard of this. Please post a picture.

Might this be similar to โ€œbuilt in weight distribution?โ€
Winnebago 2101DS TT & 2022 Chevy Silverado 1500 LTZ Z71, WindyNation 300 watt solar-Lossigy 200 AH Lithium battery. Prefer boondocking, USFS, COE, BLM, NPS, TVA, state camps. Bicyclist. 14 yr. Army -11B40 then 11A - (MOS 1542 & 1560) IOBC & IOAC grad

edd210
Explorer
Explorer
The hitch on my truck has a sticker that shows the same weight rating with or without weight distribution, 1500#. It is a 2 1/2" class 5 reciever.

handye9
Explorer II
Explorer II
Check your hitch receiver, for it's weight rating. It will have a stamp with two numbers, one without weight distribution, and one with. It's possible, you're exceeding the weight rating on your receiver.

You say the trailer weighs 5500 lbs. At that weight, your tongue weight is around 790 lbs. If that is dry weight, your loaded numbers would be considerably higher.

When you hang the tongue weight on your hitch, it adds weight to your rear axle and takes weight off your front axle. If there is too much weight lost on the front axle, it can cause trailer sway and steering control issues. The primary purpose of a weight distributing hitch is to restore lost weight on the front axle.

Your owners manual should tell you the weight at which you should use weight distribution, and the percentage of lost front axle weight you should restore.
18 Nissan Titan XD
12 Flagstaff 831FKBSS
Wife and I
Retired Navy Master Chief (retired since 1995)

Lwiddis
Explorer
Explorer
โ€œThe truck says it has built in weight distribution and sway control.โ€

Please direct us all to your truck ownerโ€™s booklet on-line that states it has built in weight distribution.
Winnebago 2101DS TT & 2022 Chevy Silverado 1500 LTZ Z71, WindyNation 300 watt solar-Lossigy 200 AH Lithium battery. Prefer boondocking, USFS, COE, BLM, NPS, TVA, state camps. Bicyclist. 14 yr. Army -11B40 then 11A - (MOS 1542 & 1560) IOBC & IOAC grad

edd210
Explorer
Explorer
Thanks for all the input. You are right about the trucks ability and I do have a standard sway bar I always use. I am considering the weight distribution as suggested. We drove from Kentucky down to north Georgia through tropical storm Irma with no problem, but anything to make towing easier is always a plus.

afidel
Explorer II
Explorer II
DutchmenSport wrote:
I think chains are the only requirement in every state. After that, it's all up the individual and their unique rig.

Most states require brakes over a certain gross weight (typically 3-5,000 lbs, with 3k being the most common). link
2019 Dutchman Kodiak 293RLSL
2015 GMC 1500 Sierra 4x4 5.3 3.42 full bed
Equalizer 10k WDH