cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Shinnecock East

cheftim
Explorer
Explorer
Looking to hit some the outer beaches in LI this summer. Heard Shinnecock is nice.

Can any one provide info on the permit process?

Also, is trying to go there in July crazy? I know up here there are limited numbers allowed on Race Point and it's like a parking lot. Is Shinnecock similar or is there more room?
2017 F-350 LWB
2018 Arctic Fox 990
2017 Sailfish 290 w/Twin 300 Verados
4 REPLIES 4

RamblinAnne
Explorer
Explorer
Grew up on the north fork and lived there in my TC last summer. Yes it's crowded but not out of control. Only 2 campgrounds but lots of stealth camping opportunities if you know where to go and are okay with moving around every day/night. PM me if you want more info.
2013 Ford F350 6.7L Powerstroke Diesel DRW Lariat Crew Cab 4x4
2004 Bigfoot 25c10.6e
Full-timer

cheftim
Explorer
Explorer
Thanks for the replies, folks, much appreciated.
2017 F-350 LWB
2018 Arctic Fox 990
2017 Sailfish 290 w/Twin 300 Verados

silversand
Explorer
Explorer
We go out to Shinnecock East county park every summer, and its a great locale (just to visit or with a self-contained camper). Pretty nice set-up there.

We also spend a lot of time east of Shinnecock, at Flying Point, and Sagg beach (Main) in summer...but just to trek the beach (no camping allowed; and be aware of resident parking sticker season).
Silver
2004 Chevy Silverado 2500HD 4x4 6.0L Ext/LB Tow Package 4L80E Michelin AT2s| Outfitter Caribou

BurbMan
Explorer II
Explorer II
There is more room at Shinnecock for sure but it's very hard to get a camping reservation there. Here is the link to the county website. For all Suffolk County Parks you'll need a non-resident outer beach permit to drive on the beach and a non-resident green Key card to access the res system.

Suggestion would be to go out to Montauk County Park, campsites are also limited there, but if you have a truck camper and a state fishing permit, they let you hang around Shagwong Point. You don't need a reservation and even if the CG is full they'll let you out to the point with a truck camper to stay over. Not sure if they have stay restrictions on the TC crowd at the point.

The beach is too narrow there to park a trailer but you can drive a truck camper there no problem. You'll also see some 4WD class C's. I would call the park before you go, we had a bad storm season this spring and some of the beaches got hit pretty hard.

There are also NY State beaches you can drive on but they don't let you stay overnite.

PM if I can help. This was us last Fall at Montauk (notice not very crowded LOL)