cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Using a drill to raise our pop up top question

NanciL
Explorer II
Explorer II
Has any one made a fitting that will fit a battery operated drill that will take the place of the hand operated crank.
I am thinking of making one ,but I don't know if the drill will have enough torque.

Jack L
Jack & Nanci
3 REPLIES 3

frankwp
Explorer
Explorer
I made one from a socket (can't remember the size) that I cut a slot in on either side, then used it with a 1/2" drive drill adapter. A Dewalt 18V drill in low gear had plenty of power & speed to raise & lower the top. So easy & fast. I also used it for the stabilizers

An impact driver would work, but would draw a lynch mob before you could get the top raised.
2010 Cruiser CF30QB
2003 GM 2500HD, crew cab, SB, 8.1, Allison

tatest
Explorer II
Explorer II
You can probably find a large drill or power wrench with enough torque, but then will you have enough leverage on the drill to hold it against the torque? The length of the crank arm is a clue as to how much leverage you need.

Electric power lifts for PUPs have quite different gearing from that of the crank. Maybe someone makes a reduction gear for the crank-up that makes a small drill usable?
Tom Test
Itasca Spirit 29B

jerryjay11
Explorer
Explorer
Check any camping supply. I had one that I sent to my daughter when I no longer needed it.