Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Atwood Heater Troubleshooting

AK_Truck_Camper
Explorer
Explorer
Hello all!
Just bought a 2000 year model Bigfoot 2500 9.6 camper. I bought it in Colorado Springs, where I left it in a storage lot, before I drive it to AK in 3 weeks.

So....it has a 30,000 BTU Atwood forced air heater. It works completely normal EXCEPT that the on-off switch on the thermostat doesn't turn it off. The only way to shut down its operation is to pull the fuse. Again it works completely normally otherwise turning on and off according to the thermostat setting.

Any ideas on what might be going on. Any suggestions on which wires to check and where with my multimeter?

Appreciate any insight.
Thanks,
John
20 REPLIES 20

AK_Truck_Camper
Explorer
Explorer
Wanted to post that my new basic electronic thermostat works great and took care of my issues. I am not sure my original thermostat was OK, I think I just didnโ€™t use enough pressure on the off switch.
Appreciate the help.

Old_Islander
Explorer
Explorer
I think this is the existing one?

I know the OP has ordered a replacement, but for others, I had the same problem. The 'off switch' on mine was so sticky, it wouldn't turn off. This thermostat can be disassembled, and when I did, some slight sanding of the plastic arm under the metal contact (in the red circle), a touch of grease, and it works like new.

As others have suggested, this furnace does not just shut off the instant this switch is moved to the 'off' position. The flame immediately stops but the fan continues for maybe a minute or more, until it's internally cooled...

Hope the new thermostat solves your problems.

TazFord
Explorer
Explorer
Iโ€™ll have to give it a try. My current thermostat when set at 70 seems to turn on at 60 and off at 80
Life long camper, First time Fiver
2018 Starcraft Solstice 29BHSโ€”2008 Chevy Silverado 2500HD

S_Davis
Explorer
Explorer
TazFord wrote:
AK Truck Camper wrote:
rrupert wrote:
Do yourself a favor and get a simple non programmable digital model. They are very easy to install and give much better temperature control. Lowes, HD, and Walmart all sell them.

Done! It arrived today, a super basic Honeywell digital! Canโ€™t wait to get it installed!
Thanks for the advice.

So does a residential thermostat actually work in an RV. Iโ€™ve been curious but just thought not. Give us an update AK

As long as the thermostat has internal battery power it will work, most of the newer stats can work on power supplied buy the heating appliance or if that is not available batteries in the stat.

TazFord
Explorer
Explorer
AK Truck Camper wrote:
rrupert wrote:
Do yourself a favor and get a simple non programmable digital model. They are very easy to install and give much better temperature control. Lowes, HD, and Walmart all sell them.

Done! It arrived today, a super basic Honeywell digital! Canโ€™t wait to get it installed!
Thanks for the advice.

So does a residential thermostat actually work in an RV. Iโ€™ve been curious but just thought not. Give us an update AK

TazFord
Explorer
Explorer
ticki2 wrote:
bigfootgrey wrote:
Hi John
The on/off switch on the top of our thermostat takes some effort to return it to the off position. I felt like it would break the first few times I tried it. It will make a postitive click when returned all the way. Congratulations on the purchase of your Bigfoot.

Bob & Cathy
Yes it takes an effort to click to off position .

Ditto

AK_Truck_Camper
Explorer
Explorer
chuckklr04 wrote:
30k btu? wow, overkill for a TC.

In Louisiana it would be overkill, but this one will be used for Winter camping in Alaska!
Iโ€™ve tent camped with outside thermometer pictures taken at -50F.

chuckklr04
Explorer
Explorer
30k btu? wow, overkill for a TC.
Lets ride! were not getting any younger!

AK_Truck_Camper
Explorer
Explorer
rrupert wrote:

Thanks for the advice.

AK_Truck_Camper
Explorer
Explorer
rrupert wrote:

Done!! Thanks for the advice!

AK_Truck_Camper
Explorer
Explorer
tattoobob wrote:
Use this to post pics http://photoposting.is-great.net/?i=3

After you turn the thermostat off The fan will run until the heat exchanger cools to a pre set temperature.

Does it turn on and off as the thermostat reaches temperature?

Thanks for the photo posting advice!
Yes, it turns off and on as it reaches temperature.
I ordered a Honeywell Digital today. I think that is going to take care of all my problems. Thanks so much.

rrupert
Explorer
Explorer
Rich and Joyce
2018 Jayco Jay Flight 21QB
2012 Ford F150 4X4 Supercrew EcoBoost
Reese Strait-Line Dual Cam Hitch

Amateur Radio K3EXU

AK_Truck_Camper
Explorer
Explorer
Found my wiring diagram and breakdown this afternoon that included specifics of the thermostat, wow, that thing really is basic. My issue almost certainly has to be in the thermostat itself and not the heater, since it only has 2 wires!. Iโ€™ll probably just get a new one, but put some muscle into the old one first and post what I find.
Thanks again!

joerg68
Nomad II
Nomad II
Yes, that is the type I was thinking. As others have said, that switch can be hard to move. That might be the issue right there already.

The mechanical thermostat can be replaced by an electronic one. There should be just two wires there that control the furnace, and all the thermostat does is connect one wire with the other and disconnect it again when the set temperature has been reached.
2014 Ford F350 XLT 6.2 SCLB + 2017 Northstar Arrow