cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How do I know a tire's low/flat on dual wheel axle?

BillHoughton
Explorer II
Explorer II
Today's dumb question...

I check tire pressures before our trips, and during trips (though not as often as I should during trips; but certainly before long drives).

But how do I know, when driving, that a tire on a dual wheel axle is low or flat? Obviously, if I hear a blowout, that's a clue; but what about more subtle flat conditions, like a nail in the tire?
21 REPLIES 21

XytheX
Explorer
Explorer
I just got one of these today; it's supposed to do pressure and temperature. I'll post back on how it works once I get it installed.

Careud Tire Pressure Monitoring System Careud Tire Pressure Sensor TPMS Sensor RV Truck Bus with 6pc...

Never Leave a Burning Stick Unattended

sachilles
Explorer
Explorer
I understand pyrometers for measuring temperature. However, if you are out and able to point a pyrometer, you should be able to use an air pressure gauge.

I can see using a pyrometer to tell temps on a travel trailer to help diagnose an alignment issue, stuck brake, or wheel bearing issue, when pressure are still in the ok range. I just don't see it as a substitute for an air pressure gauge.

If checking the tire pressure is difficult for you, then really you want to invest in a TPMS system. Even if you are good about walk around inspections...and you should be, a tpms is a really good item to have, as it can warn you when you have dynamic issues, like puncture that you wouldn't notice until your next stop.

77rollalong
Explorer
Explorer
when i drove a 40 foot school bus we use to use the fire axe (dull side) to give the tires a good thump, or just keep a tie pressure guage in the glove box works too.

Gene_in_NE
Explorer II
Explorer II
BillHoughton wrote:
Today's dumb question...

I check tire pressures before our trips, and during trips (though not as often as I should during trips; but certainly before long drives).

But how do I know, when driving, that a tire on a dual wheel axle is low or flat? Obviously, if I hear a blowout, that's a clue; but what about more subtle flat conditions, like a nail in the tire?
Bill,
Several have mentioned IR meters. They are talking about using an infrared thermometer. When a tire runs low on air it heats up because of the additional flexing. We bought one of these - Clickable Link
They can be bought for less than $20. Whenever we stop, I grab the Infrared Laser Thermometer aim it at the side of the motorhome to get an ambient reading, then aim at the 3 tires on that side. Then I do the same on the other side. The tire with the highest temperature is the one that is lowest in pressure.
2002 Trail-Lite Model 211-S w/5.7 Chevy (click View Profile)
Gene

IAMICHABOD
Explorer II
Explorer II
PenMan wrote:

I have the Truck System Technologies (TST) system. It has worked great. I had to add steel valve extensions (don't use the flexible ones) to get the sensors installed. I got them from Tire Man Valve Extensions but their webpage does not come up any longer. They are available from other vendors.

The best on the market,that are the original,are Tire Man Valve Extensions,This is his new website

Chuck is the original designer of these an he has been around for years. If you have any questions just give him a call, he is always happy to help. Any others are just cheap reproductions of the original.

The kit looks like This it is for all 6 wheels,they also come with flow-thru valve caps so you don't even need to take then off to check the pressure.

Here is a list of all the products he sells.

They are compatible with all Tire monitor systems.
2006 TIOGA 26Q CHEVY 6.0 WORKHORSE VORTEC
Former El Monte RV Rental
Retired Teamster Local 692
Buying A Rental Class C

PenMan
Explorer
Explorer
Mote wrote:
PenMan wrote:
I have a TPMS with sensors on my trailer and on my dually truck. I had a flat on the inner tire and only knew about it because of the monitor. It did not happen while I was traveling but I got an alarm as soon as I started to move the truck. I could not tell by looking that it was flat. I use the system even when not pulling the trailer for that exact reason.

What TPMS system did you add to your truck ? I have a 2005 dodge dually I'd like to put TPMS on.

I have the Truck System Technologies (TST) system. It has worked great. I had to add steel valve extensions (don't use the flexible ones) to get the sensors installed. I got them from Tire Man Valve Extensions but their webpage does not come up any longer. They are available from other vendors.
Chris and Jane
2013 Open Range Journeyer JT337RLS
2006 Dodge Ram 3500, 4x4, Crew Cab, DRW, 5.9 turbo diesel
1996 Harley Davidson Electraglide

Cobra21
Explorer
Explorer
If you have a dually go flat that didn't blow up, you will hear it slapping
the pavement really loud. If it is just low, it can be hard to tell.
Brian

2oldman
Explorer
Explorer
BillHoughton wrote:
Thanks. I didn't realize how simple the tire pressure monitoring systems are to install (I was imagining something inside each tire). I notice they can be had with five sensors - which would be nice,
I think you'll need 6 for dual rears.
"If I'm wearing long pants, I'm too far north" - 2oldman

BillHoughton
Explorer II
Explorer II
Thanks. I didn't realize how simple the tire pressure monitoring systems are to install (I was imagining something inside each tire). I notice they can be had with five sensors - which would be nice, because getting the cover off the spare is a pain, and it would be a good thing if I have to do it only when I have to.

Folks here are so knowledgeable. Thanks for your generosity in spending time here explaining and providing info.

stripit
Explorer
Explorer
There are all the normal tire checks, looking, thumping, getting out the tire pressure gage, temps with a infrared heat gun, or, purchase a Tire Pressure Monitoring System and push a button. The sender screws on to the tire valve and reads pressures and temp inside the tire. You get to set the high and low pressure values and if the tire exceeds or goes below your settings, you are alerted by a beeping sound and flashing lights on the little monitor sitting on your dash. There are numorous TPMS companies to choose from, I personally have used the TST system for years and am very pleased with the operation and service from the company. Check out their web site HERE
Stacey Frank
2016 Tiffin Allegro Bus 40AP
2019 Tesla Model X
2015 Cadillac SRX we Tow
1991 Avanti Convertible

pnichols
Explorer II
Explorer II
On our small Class C I can feel it in the handling when one tire of a rear dually set is flat. The control seems soft and mushy - like something definitely is wrong back there.

The one good tire of rear dually set is not designed or inflated so as to carry the whole weight in one rear corner of a motorhome, so it's pretty obvious when the one good tire on either side is carrying this much weight over it's limit. It's way different than when one tire blows in the rear of an empty or lightly loaded dually pickup - in which case the whole weight of a corner back there can be safely handled with only a single good tire on either side.

P.S. I had a rear tire from one dually set deflate once when driving our 24 foot Class C ... and I can't imagine how much more dramatic is must feel with a flat in a rear dually set of a larger Class C.
2005 E450 Itasca 24V Class C

2oldman
Explorer
Explorer
TPMS posts
"If I'm wearing long pants, I'm too far north" - 2oldman

Mote
Explorer
Explorer
PenMan wrote:
I have a TPMS with sensors on my trailer and on my dually truck. I had a flat on the inner tire and only knew about it because of the monitor. It did not happen while I was traveling but I got an alarm as soon as I started to move the truck. I could not tell by looking that it was flat. I use the system even when not pulling the trailer for that exact reason.

What TPMS system did you add to your truck ? I have a 2005 dodge dually I'd like to put TPMS on.
2005 Dodge 3500
2001 Lance 1030
2006 Cougar 29RL

toedtoes
Explorer II
Explorer II
I put cat eyes on my duallies. Whenever I stop, I do a visual check of the cat eyes to make sure everything is still good.
1975 American Clipper RV with Dodge 360 (photo in profile)
1998 American Clipper Fold n Roll Folding Trailer
Both born in Morgan Hill, CA to Irv Perch (Daddy of the Aristocrat trailers)