cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Best internet solution for 2018?

nosebreaker
Explorer
Explorer
I am looking to get the best mobile internet plan possible for our USA roadtrip in the lower 48 states. We'll be working part-time so we'll need it to be halfway decent. I was planning to get a hotspot and use that, but thought I should try to get a better antenna for greater range.

The last time I took a road trip was 8 years ago, back then it was nearly impossible to get reliable data by tethering my phone, and I had to rely on spotty wifi in campgrounds. I can't have that this time.

Ideally I'd like something that works even while driving, so nothing like a satellite connection via DirecTV or DishTV. I would prefer a 4G cell phone-like system that would also boost our cell phone signals.

What have you used and what would you not recommend?
32 REPLIES 32

johnhicks
Explorer
Explorer
If the cell sites are overloaded you have to go hardwire or satellite.
-jbh-

MrWizard
Bill is right

overload is overload, and the only way is if more coverage is provided

local government, fire, police have a priority override, but thats built into the system and goes by the assigned phone number of the caller

thats OK they need their phones in crowed emergency situations, like storms and other disasters
I can explain it to you.
But I Can Not understand it for you !

Connected using T-Mobile Home internet and Visible Phone service
1997 F53 Bounder 36s

Bill_Satellite
Explorer II
Explorer II
Sprint brings additional cell towers to the races that Sprint sponsors. Otherwise, no.
What I post is my 2 cents and nothing more. Please don't read anything into my post that's not there. If you disagree, that's OK.
Can't we all just get along?

JackMS
Explorer
Explorer
Do any of these systems work where the area is overloaded? I was at the race in Talladega last fall and when I got there, everything worked great on my phone. But as more people arrived, it was difficult to even get a text out. Going back this fall and looking for a solution for that. But it sounds like all these things talked about here may not be the solution.
2005 Holiday Rambler Neptune 34pdd, Cummins ISB 300, Allison 2500MH, Onan 8.0QD
Prior Toad-2001 Chevy 2500 CC 4WD
Toad-2012 Honda CRV, Blue Ox Aventa II

Bill_Satellite
Explorer II
Explorer II
If anyone plans on only one source of internet service and internet is a mission critical option, you WILL be be disappointed. Period.
The good news is that we are all capable of planning where we travel and if you MUST have internet you can PLAN your travels and the necessary equipment to make that happen. That might mean satellite internet and cellular if you are so completely determined to head to the deep boonies despite the fact that you know your income in based upon internet connectivity. It's all about choices and, for most folks, the most reliable choice is going to be cellular (even if you have to get service from 2 providers). I have been very happy with Verizon and AT&T but I am now similarly happy with T-Mobile and AT&T and the savings are HUGE!
What I post is my 2 cents and nothing more. Please don't read anything into my post that's not there. If you disagree, that's OK.

johnhicks
Explorer
Explorer
That's a very good point; if the signal is blocked by terrain it's simply blocked no matter the antenna etc.
-jbh-

vermilye
Explorer
Explorer
Dutch_12078 wrote:
Our setup consists of both AT&T and Verizon hotspots, with Tracfone/Verizon Android smartphones, and a Maximum Signal Max Amp RV cell booster/repeater with internal and external antennas. We travel extensively east of the Mississippi, and have yet to land anyplace we did not have a usable signal from both carriers, albeit with one often stronger than the other. We've been in a number of areas, particularly in the Adirondack mountains, where both the coverage maps and and our phones/hotspots showed no service with the Max Amp off, but usable voice and data signals with it turned on.

I'm not going to detail the two unlimited data plans we use, since one is no longer available and the other is a grey market plan that's likely to be gone in another couple of years.
While I agree that both Verizon & AT&T have made vast improvements in coverage over the last year or two, I'd be interested in the results of the Maximum Signal Max amp in Cades Cove Campground in the Smoky Mountain National Park. Just about the only place on a 7000 mile trip that did not have either Verizon or AT&T coverage, even with a WirEng antenna & Sleek amplifier.

Bill_Satellite
Explorer II
Explorer II
We are now in Deming, NM and service with both AT&T and T-Mobile are good. Voice is excellent and the data is, again, acceptable but noticeable slow. It reads 4G LTE on both services but it's not nearly the service I have gotten with Verizon in the past.

johnhicks
Explorer
Explorer
Orient toward commercial cell gear and don't get too excited about wifi. Park wifi is hardly ever actually usable. It's common to get a strong signal but no bandwidth.

For example, where I am now the AP is on the next site over but since it's connected to an older satellite system it's barely usable. It's ok for text such as this forum but nothing else. The problem is that wired broadband isn't available here and we're too far away for an ordinary cell hotspot to work.

At some parks wifi sometimes works ok during the day but dies in the evening and on weekends when everyone cranks up their devices and goes on Facebook, Youtube and start trying to stream stuff.
-jbh-

Dutch_12078
Explorer
Explorer
Our setup consists of both AT&T and Verizon hotspots, with Tracfone/Verizon Android smartphones, and a Maximum Signal Max Amp RV cell booster/repeater with internal and external antennas. We travel extensively east of the Mississippi, and have yet to land anyplace we did not have a usable signal from both carriers, albeit with one often stronger than the other. We've been in a number of areas, particularly in the Adirondack mountains, where both the coverage maps and and our phones/hotspots showed no service with the Max Amp off, but usable voice and data signals with it turned on.

I'm not going to detail the two unlimited data plans we use, since one is no longer available and the other is a grey market plan that's likely to be gone in another couple of years.
Dutch
2001 GBM Landau 34' Class A
F53 chassis, Triton V10, TST TPMS
Bigfoot Automatic Leveling System
2011 Toyota RAV4 4WD/Remco pump
ReadyBrute Elite tow bar/Blue Ox baseplate

timjet
Explorer
Explorer
I have a WeBoost cellular signal booster. It boosts any cellular signal that it can receive, is not carrier specific and is like moving the cellular tower closer to you. It works for both data and voice. You might check it out as it is a solution for weak signals out west in remote areas.
This is NOT a WiFi booster!
Tampa Bay
'07 American Tradition Cummins ISL
'14 Honda CRV

nosebreaker
Explorer
Explorer
I think I'll open a new thread with my thoughts, basically I was thinking of using commercial cellular and commercial wireless gear to obtain better range. Many years ago there was 900MHz gear that would do point-to-point for a couple miles. These days I was thinking of mounting an omnidirectional antenna on the roof with higher gain antennas to be able to connect to AP's that are farther away, and possibly also a cell phone signal booster to do the same.

johnhicks
Explorer
Explorer
The Pepwave I mentioned can handle two sims with fallover, in this case Verizon and AT&T.

I don't see how you're expecting significant power with a "hotspot" or useful antennae. I've been in quite a few parks in the southeast where I'm the only AP. No one else has a signal to work with.
-jbh-

Bill_Satellite
Explorer II
Explorer II
We are currently in Ozona, TX (yes, the exact middle of nowhere!) and we have good enough (not great) service from both AT&T and T-Mobile. If a speed test completes it appears to average around .5MB up and 2MB down. Both show LTE service but we don't have any kind of an external antenna or amplifier so I suspect that things would improve dramatically with that kind of hardware. Our next stop is the Las Cruces area followed by the outskirts of Tucson, Thousand Palms, CA and then to our final destination of Atascadero, CA for a couple of weeks. I will let you know how things go.