cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Dual purpose bike rack - seeking recommendations.

Mickeyfan0805
Explorer
Explorer
We are looking for a dual purpose bike rack...

Purpose 1 - hitch mount to the back of our vehicle for local usage.

Purpose 2 - mount above A-frame (above propane tanks) on travel trailer, without interfering with the back of our Suburban.

Don't know if there are options that would actually work for this. We'd want at least 3 bikes on the carrier, preferably 4-5.

Any suggestions?
4 REPLIES 4

Puddles
Explorer
Explorer
Stromberg Carlson makes a rack that mounts on the A frame, but wouldn't fit on the tow vehicles.
HTML

afidel
Explorer II
Explorer II
Another thought, put a front mount hitch receiver on the Burb. Helps return some of the weight to the front axle and it's easy to get the bikes on and off. Only downside we've found is it can make it hard to get in and out of parking lots with very steep approaches. Then you can use whatever 2" equipped rack you want to use (probably don't want to go smaller if you're putting 4 adult sized bikes on it unless you've got very light bikes).
2019 Dutchman Kodiak 293RLSL
2015 GMC 1500 Sierra 4x4 5.3 3.42 full bed
Equalizer 10k WDH

DrewE
Explorer
Explorer
As SoundGuy suggests, put a receiver on your trailer and you can put most any bike rack you want in that receiver (assuming there is clearance between it and your tow vehicle, etc).

I have a Yakima RoadTrip Bike Rack (four bikes) that I've used on my motorhome and it works very nicely indeed and is quite sturdy. There are any number of other good bike racks made, of course.

SoundGuy
Explorer
Explorer
Mickeyfan0805 wrote:
Any suggestions?

Arvika offers a 2" receiver mount designed specifically to fit your trailer's A frame that will accept different brands of bike racks like these that slide into any 2" receiver, including your tow vehicle when not towing. You could easily carry 3 bikes but I doubt you'd find a rack that would carry 5. Arvika is based in Quebec but sells in the US as well. I had a swing down Swagman years ago that I used to mount on our Explorer but it rattled around so much I had to also secure it with nylon tether straps tied to the vehicle's roof rack to prevent it from moving so much, otherwise it worked fine.
2012 Silverado 1500 Crew Cab
2014 Coachmen Freedom Express 192RBS
2003 Fleetwood Yuma * 2008 K-Z Spree 240BH-LX
2007 TrailCruiser C21RBH * 2000 Fleetwood Santa Fe
1998 Jayco 10UD * 1969 Coleman CT380