cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Is PTI really Permanent?

theczar
Explorer
Explorer
ok so I am about to sell my Tent Trailer and went to retrieve my paperwork. On the registration there is no exp date printed. There is however a handwritten note that says "expires" with a date that is 5 years after purchasing the trailer. That would have been 3 years ago. I am not certain if PTI is unique to California or not. As you may or may not know, Permanent Trailer Identification plates do not have any annual tags you have to stick on. I have heard that PTI is indeed 5 years but I have never received a renewal from the DMV. I also have a boat trailer and never received a renewal for that one either. Does anyone know is PTI truly Permanent or does it require renewal fees at some point? Thanks
8 REPLIES 8

paul_arc
Explorer
Explorer
I got my trailer in 08' and can't remember the last time I got something from DMV saying to renew it until just a couple months ago. I got a renewal in the mail for $10 total. Sent a check and who knows when I'll hear about it again..
2006 Chev. Duramax
2015 Arctic fox 27-5L
2016 Lance 865

4x4van
Explorer
Explorer
I have 3 different trailers with PTI plates (actually, 2 with PTI plates, 1 with a "one-time" PTI sticker - that was used in the first iteration of the PTI program); I get renewal notices/bills from CA DMV on all 3 trailers every 5 years, and once paid I get a new registration for each. I'm pretty sure that the registrations on mine do in fact show an expiration date.
We don't stop playing because we grow old...We grow old because we stop playing!

2004 Itasca Sunrise M-30W
Carson enclosed ATV Trailer
-'85 ATC250R, '12 Husky TE310, '20 CanAm X3 X rs Turbo RR
Zieman Jetski Trailer
-'96 GTi, '96 Waveblaster II

discovery4us
Explorer
Explorer
The PTI is $10 per year billed once every five years. The CA DMV has never missed a chance to bill me. Maybe wrong address on title?

Also new for me is the CA DMV is not issuing a title/Pink Slip for newly registered PTI trailers. If you want a title it is an additional fee.

D_E_Bishop
Explorer
Explorer
Tom, I think toedtoes has it right, some really small fee every 5 years. If you belong to ACSC(AAA) contact them for information. Contacting DMV is like contacting the IRS for information, you will always get someone's inaccurate interpretation of what they read.
"I travel not to go anywhere, but to go. I travel for travel's sake. The great affair is to go". R. L. Stevenson

David Bishop
2002 Winnebago Adventurer 32V
2009 GMC Canyon
Roadmaster 5000
BrakeBuddy Classic II

tuna_fisher
Explorer
Explorer
I get um every 5years.
2001 GMC DM, 1995 Lance Lite, @005 Eclipse Toyhauler, Toy's!;)

toedtoes
Explorer II
Explorer II
Per DMV, the plate is "permanent", however you are required to pay a maintenance service fee every 5 years or you may choose to pay a PNO fee (planned no operation). I would contact the DMV and ask them about the maintenance fees and late charges.

You should also read the link Old Biscuit posted regarding the title and transfer of ownership.
1975 American Clipper RV with Dodge 360 (photo in profile)
1998 American Clipper Fold n Roll Folding Trailer
Both born in Morgan Hill, CA to Irv Perch (Daddy of the Aristocrat trailers)

mobeewan
Explorer
Explorer
In Virginia we have permanent trailer plates and registration. The plates (no stickers) and registration are in deed "permanent" to the current registered owner and never expire as long as they own the trailer. When they sell the trailer they are non transferrable to the next owner, who has to obtain new title, registration and plates.

In your case, California appears to be a state in which permanent is only in 5 year incriments. I wouldn't sweat it, since as long as you don't park or pull the trailer on the road you shouldn't get a ticket. If you plan to use it until you actually sell it then you need to get the plates up to date, otherwise it's the next owners problem.

Old-Biscuit
Explorer II
Explorer II
CA PTI INFO.......have fun reading
Is it time for your medication or mine?

2007 DODGE 3500 QC SRW 5.9L CTD In-Bed 'quiet gen'
2007 HitchHiker II 32.5 UKTG 2000W Xantex Inverter
US NAVY------USS Decatur DDG31