cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Bike rack on bumper?

crazyro
Explorer
Explorer
I have a feeling I already know the answer to my question, but... Adding a bike rack to my bumper would be a bad idea, wouldn't it? I think it's the typical "store your hose in here" and have the spare mounted on it type. Would adding brackets help? What would help to ensure a bike rack won't rip it off? TIA.

52 REPLIES 52

D-C-Johnson
Explorer
Explorer
I have the bell right up 350 on ours hauling 3 adult aluminum mountain bikes with no issues,but I do keep the receiver tubes bolted tight so there is little to no bounce and it works great.https://www.walmart.com/ip/Bell-Sports-RIGHT-UP-350-Platform-Hitch-Rack-3-Bike/55223651
David,Christy and our three sons
2005 Silverado 2500HD
2018 Kodiak 331BHSL

GrandpaKip
Explorer
Explorer
Ralph C, , that’s why I only have a $50 bike, an old sewer tote, an older ladder, and a patio rug back there.
Kip
2015 Skyline Dart 214RB
2018 Silverado Double Cab 4x4
Andersen Hitch

Ralph_Cramden
Explorer II
Explorer II
GrandpaKip wrote:
My frame attached cargo carrier.

Hasn't fallen off, twisted or broken the frame, or caused the Rapture.

With you and I on the road this summer Kip with **** attached to our bumpers, it just may be the summer of the apocalypse predicted long ago by the Aztecs......or was that the Apaches.......or the Amish? Lol.

If I have any concern at all its some doomoss rear ending me and taking out $400 worth of coolers or $2000 worth of bikes, and worse case the beer and ice. I like your reflectors. I purchased two vertical led tail/brake light bars to mount mid way up the rear wall but have yet to get off my lazy butt and install them for what good they may do. It's hard for idiots to see brake lights while yapping and typing away on phones.
Too many geezers, self appointed moderators, experts, and disappearing posts for me. Enjoy. How many times can the same thing be rehashed over and over?

Boomerweps
Explorer
Explorer
Just bought a Cherokee Wolf Pup 16BHS. It comes with a bumper mounted large platform with spare tire mounted to that. It's advertised to be able to be used down with the spare tire left on. It is clearly marked 200# limit, spare tire not included. Don't plan on using the platform yet but I'll mount an accessories only 2x2" tube on the bumper for my heavy Reese hitch bike carrier for a couple lightweight bikes.
Bottom line: Some bumpers are built for loads.
2019 Wolf Pup 16 BHS Limited, axle flipped
2019 F150 4x4 SCrew SB STX 5.0 3.55 factory tow package, 7000#GVWR, 1990 CC Tow mirrors, ITBC, SumoSprings,

brmiller
Explorer
Explorer
I've gone back and forth on this as well. There are 4 of us so 4 bikes dangling off the back of our trailer made me nervous.

So we just store them inside the trailer when we tow it. Just find a way to secure them or lay them down. Problem solved.

GrandpaKip
Explorer
Explorer
My frame attached cargo carrier.

Hasn't fallen off, twisted or broken the frame, or caused the Rapture.
Kip
2015 Skyline Dart 214RB
Andersen Hitch

GrandpaKip
Explorer
Explorer
crazyro wrote:
Ralph Cramden wrote:

HEREis a simple solution, but then again your front tires may blow out or something if you install those safety strut brackets.

Interesting solution without requiring welding. That is the fail point on most bumpers. I'm intrigued. Thank you for sharing.

Those will reinforce the attachment area of the bumper, but only marginally help with the torsion in the middle of the tube.
For a receiver mounted bike rack, a thicker walled tube, or frame mounted would be best, along with dodge guy’s “redneck” eyebolts. I also put 4 large SS eyebolts on the back of a previous camper. Not redneck at all, but clever, I thought.
Kip
2015 Skyline Dart 214RB
Andersen Hitch

crazyro
Explorer
Explorer
Ralph Cramden wrote:

HEREis a simple solution, but then again your front tires may blow out or something if you install those safety strut brackets.

Interesting solution without requiring welding. That is the fail point on most bumpers. I'm intrigued. Thank you for sharing.

dodge_guy
Explorer
Explorer
So I guess my setup is defying the odds for the last 11 years? It can be done, but you need to know how to do it. Like I said if you just hang them off the back then yes there will be some type of failure. If you go out of your way to make sure it`s properly supported and reinforced then it will work.
Wife Kim
Son Brandon 17yrs
Daughter Marissa 16yrs
Dog Bailey

12 Forest River Georgetown 350TS Hellwig sway bars, BlueOx TrueCenter stabilizer

13 Ford Explorer Roadmaster Stowmaster 5000, VIP Tow>
A bad day camping is
better than a good day at work!

Ralph_Cramden
Explorer II
Explorer II
Gdetrailer wrote:
jfkmk wrote:
Ralph Cramden wrote:

A lot of posts about bumpers and bike racks are based on nothing more than repetitive internet forum hearsay, and the best are the ones that use the picture previously posted which has been posted over and over and over in bike rack bumper threads for 10 years.

Mine is based on personal experience. Darn near lost two bikes off the back of a class c when the thin-walled bumper started tearing itself from the supports. I'm not a welder, so I wasn't about to try to beef it up, so I relied on other methods to carry my bikes.

Folks like Mr Cramden seem to feel that your and mine plus many others EXPERIENCES which have had issues with bumper mounted bicycles does not mean squat and that we made it up as part of a conspiracy..

I have fought and fought the battle trying to prevent others from making the same mistake and yet folks like Mr Cramden seem to have much more "credibility" towards the idea that it is perfectly safe..

Because of the uphill battle I have pretty much given up on trying to persuade folks to do the right thing and not bother with hauling bicycles on the RV bumper..

Folks, if you WANT to be stupid, then go ahead and be stupid, I cannot convince stupidity into being smart and making a better choice...

I leave you bike on bumper people to your own demise, hopefully I will never have to deal with your bad choice and stupidity when you do eventually lose those bikes.

Nowhere did Mr Cramden say that just throwing a bike rack on any RV bumper without an evaluation of the mounting method would be a good idea. Some are fine the way they come from the factory, some, actually most, are not. But some people just don't get it. Any can be reinforced/modified to accept one. And as far as the remainder of the frame do you really think they do anything at all different between the rear end of the main rails and suspension attachment points to frames when they put rear mounted cargo racks on trailers as an OEM option. They don't. They just slide a tube in 2' to make the connection and some don't even go that far.

Stay far away from me when I am towing my trailer with bikes or coolers on the back, why risk a catastrophe? While doing so you may want to also look hard at all the other boneheads on the road around you and their driving habits and abilities. It may be best if you never leave your driveway, it's dangerous out there. Amazingly one can manage the construction of a 25 story building, but can not evaluate the connection and strength of an RV bumper.
Too many geezers, self appointed moderators, experts, and disappearing posts for me. Enjoy. How many times can the same thing be rehashed over and over?

Lynnmor
Explorer
Explorer
Gdetrailer wrote:

I leave you bike on bumper people to your own demise, hopefully I will never have to deal with your bad choice and stupidity when you do eventually lose those bikes.

Folks buy marginal tow vehicles and trailers and then want to hang junk anywhere from the front of a truck all the way to behind the rear of the trailer. In the past, I have suggested folding bikes, bed caps and custom racks. Never have any of these ideas been used because they want a certain important look or style even though the vehicles aren’t capable to do it right. You are correct, give it up and allow considerable distance from all trailers when on the highway.

Gdetrailer
Explorer III
Explorer III
jfkmk wrote:
Ralph Cramden wrote:

A lot of posts about bumpers and bike racks are based on nothing more than repetitive internet forum hearsay, and the best are the ones that use the picture previously posted which has been posted over and over and over in bike rack bumper threads for 10 years.

Mine is based on personal experience. Darn near lost two bikes off the back of a class c when the thin-walled bumper started tearing itself from the supports. I'm not a welder, so I wasn't about to try to beef it up, so I relied on other methods to carry my bikes.

Folks like Mr Cramden seem to feel that your and mine plus many others EXPERIENCES which have had issues with bumper mounted bicycles does not mean squat and that we made it up as part of a conspiracy..

I have fought and fought the battle trying to prevent others from making the same mistake and yet folks like Mr Cramden seem to have much more "credibility" towards the idea that it is perfectly safe..

Because of the uphill battle I have pretty much given up on trying to persuade folks to do the right thing and not bother with hauling bicycles on the RV bumper..

Folks, if you WANT to be stupid, then go ahead and be stupid, I cannot convince stupidity into being smart and making a better choice...

jfkmk
Explorer
Explorer
Ralph Cramden wrote:

Ralph_Cramden
Explorer II
Explorer II
drsteve wrote:
Ralph Cramden wrote:
Trailer bumper and frame fear mongering......thats entertainment.

What? From the guy who says Lippert builds their frames from recycled beer cans and gorilla tape?

You got it, and I stand by it. I am not about to crawl under my 2017 Rockwood to get pictures of what I did to reinforce its Lippert frame the first week we brought it home before it ever seen its first campground. The previous Keystone had a Lippert frame but I did not have to reinforce anything, Keystone chose to use an 8" high frame as opposed to 5-1/2" high frame that Rockwood uses, despite the Roo being longer and heavier.

Post pictures of a mod that can hold a bike rack and then some, and instantly you're now going to twist the trailer frame in half. Reinforce the main frame and now the A frame is going to bend. Reinforce the A frame and the drawbar will twist. Get a heavier drawbar and the hitch will rip from the tow vehicle. Reinforce the hitch and you'll bend the frame on the tow vehicle. All over a couple of 30 lb bikes and a 20 lb rack on the back of the trailer.

Someone must be passing out free memberships in the fraternal order of bumper police.