cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Android phone and Pad issues

DD716TED
Explorer
Explorer
The DW's Samsung S7 Phone and Samsung Tab 4 10.1 keep popping up with the message below.. I know it is a SCAM but how to I get rid of it.. Have run Malwarebyes which finds nothing but it keeps appearing.. As it is now, every time it appears, she closes whatever she is in or just shuts the device off..
6 REPLIES 6

DiskDoctr
Explorer
Explorer
FYI. Are you aware you can restart Android devices in Safe Mode to remove downloaded programs- even stubborn ones?

Most: Power button until the 'Power off/restart/etc' appears, press and hold 'Power off' option. It should ask if you want to restart in Safe Mode.

Be advised, this may change your default keyboard, home screen manager, and other replacement software. You can reset them, but some things can be a pain.

Just another tool in the box ๐Ÿ˜‰

wcjeep
Explorer
Explorer
Agree with some of the responses. It's an advertisement. Also a scam. Clear Internet history, cache. Avoid the website that's sending her to the ad for awhile. Web advertising can come from many locations. It's not the wife's fault. It's not her equipment.

I usually see this ad (scam) when scrolling news websites. I read multiple sites from different points of view. Does not matter if left or right side news. The ad (scam) finds a way.

wnjj
Explorer II
Explorer II
I fought a similar pop up on an iPad a couple months ago. None of the โ€œfixesโ€ worked. It was as wa8yxm suggested, a webpage coming from crappy ads. The worst offenders are news websites. I avoided my regular one for a while and now it doesnโ€™t do it anymore.

The other option is a โ€œlegitโ€ app that stays running background. Seemingly innocent games can sometimes include background ads.

2oldman
Explorer
Explorer
As donn said.. or, factory reset.
"If I'm wearing long pants, I'm too far north" - 2oldman

wa8yxm
Explorer III
Explorer III
That is a web page believe it or not. And you are correct it is a SCAM.
Many web pages (Including this one) sell ads to pay for the service, No problem with that. Many sell "Ad space" to Google Ad Services, NOTE> THough I am specifically talking about Google. This applies to other "Ad Services" equally.

THe scammers simply buy ads so their ad gets inserted in the roundtable. and if just a couple people byte, You click on the link, they install their malware and you are now a hostage.. Pay or you can't play.

One thign you might want to try is a Chromebook. I have two of 'em.. (The idea is one in each of two rooms but it does not always work that way) Both got infected recently with somethign that really did not play nice with em It caused near instant restart.. I only had like one minute before it restarted, over and over.. I was able to get to Settings Advance Power wash and suddenly they are pristine, Just like the day I Unwrapped 'em.. A couple minutes later I was back on line all my boomkerks restored from Google's cloud and depending on the speed of my internet connection one took a good long time to restore all my "Extensions" and apps, the other did it in while I was waiting for breakfast to be served (or dinner, forget which) on At a Denny's.. OH I lost a couple files but now days I take those to a thumb drive ASAP so no problems there either. they were not important. The important records are on a bigger box that is well protectred by software (Firewall, Malware Bytes, and other stuff).
Home was where I park it. but alas the.
2005 Damon Intruder 377 Alas declared a total loss
after a semi "nicked" it. Still have the radios
Kenwood TS-2000, ICOM ID-5100, ID-51A+2, ID-880 REF030C most times

donn0128
Explorer
Explorer
Clean cache.