cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Truck camper, solar panels and wind buffeting???

pirlbeck
Explorer
Explorer
I am mounting 4 50 watt solar panels on my Lance 845 truck camper. Open roof space is very limited, so I don't have a lot of options on where to put these panels. The plan as of now is to mount 3 panels at the very front of the camper and the 4th on right hand side, but to the rear of the other ones, creating a L shaped layout. I am mounting them with series 15 80/20 square aluminum extrusion, clear spanning the roof with side mounting plates screwed to the mounting holes for the drip rail.

80/20 series 15

I presently have 4 of these brackets per panel, but as these seem a little light duty to me, I think I am going to add 2 more to each panel along the front.

HQST mounting brackets

This is the hardware I am using to attach the brackets to the 80/20.

80/20 hardware.

My problem is I am concerned about wind buffeting from the air that is forced up and over the very front of the roof. I think this may be made worse by the fact that the front of the panels are going to end up at the very start of the flat part of the roof so any air that comes up and over the rounded front is going to hit the bottom/front of the panels. I can't move the panels any farther to the rear because of the cab over area roof vent. The rear of the panels need to be about 4" off of the roof so I can open the roof vent all the way.I can tilt the front row of panels down in front some, maybe 2" or so, which I think would be the best way to deal with the wing buffeting but is doing this going to negatively affect panel output? And what is the minimum clearance that is recommended between the panels and the roof?

Also, I think I could attach some sort of air dam to the front of the 80/20, but it would have to be pretty solid to it didn't flex and rub on the front of the camper at highway speeds. Anyone know of something that would work or are my only options to custom fab something.

I need to get this right the first time, as we are leaving for Alaska from western Iowa in a little over a month.

Thanks!
2009 Lance 845
2021 Flagstaff 529RLKS 36'6" fifthwheel
2006 Dodge Ram 2500 Cummins
19.5 Rickson wheels with Michelin XZE tires
Air lift bags with 72000 wireless onboard air
Hellwig Big Wig rear sway bar
Rancho RS9000XL rear shocks
Torqlift tie downs
11 REPLIES 11

CharlesinGA
Explorer
Explorer
Does eternabond tape work well on aluminum? might consider using it for the intermediate mounting points.

Kudos to you for not putting holes in that nice aluminum roof. Many people would not think twice about the consequences of doing so.

Oh, and anywhere the brackets may rub the roof, teflon tape applied to the ROOF for the brackets to abrade on would be a good thing. I used this on the bed rails of my Ranger pickup to protect it from the topper rubbing and it works well.

Charles
'03 Ram 2500 CTD, 5.9HO six speed, PacBrake Exh Brake, std cab, long bed, Leer top and 2008 Bigfoot 25B21RB.. previously (both gone) 2008 Thor/Dutchman Freedom Spirit 180 & 2007 Winnebago View 23H Motorhome.

pirlbeck
Explorer
Explorer
OK, Thanks for the help! My concern with any sort of air dam was mounting it without drilling any holes anywhere in the camper and still having it secure enough that it would not damage the the camper skin if it moved/rubbed from the wind. After looking at it today, it appears I can fab something that attaches to the front of the 80/20 bar and rest it on the metal trim bar that seals the transition from the front of the camper and the roof.
2009 Lance 845
2021 Flagstaff 529RLKS 36'6" fifthwheel
2006 Dodge Ram 2500 Cummins
19.5 Rickson wheels with Michelin XZE tires
Air lift bags with 72000 wireless onboard air
Hellwig Big Wig rear sway bar
Rancho RS9000XL rear shocks
Torqlift tie downs

Lwiddis
Explorer
Explorer
Had, the guy I consulted said the air forces are about equal pushing up and down with no air dam.
Winnebago 2101DS TT & 2022 Chevy Silverado 1500 LTZ Z71, WindyNation 300 watt solar-Lossigy 200 AH Lithium battery. Prefer boondocking, USFS, COE, BLM, NPS, TVA, state camps. Bicyclist. 14 yr. Army -11B40 then 11A - (MOS 1542 & 1560) IOBC & IOAC grad

HadEnough
Explorer
Explorer
Previous owner of my Artic Fox TC did the same exact mount location.

He used a piano hinge across the front where you are concerned with the force of the wind. And no other attachment at all!

I was sure this would be a disaster, but no. The mounting has held up for him and has now held up for me for several thousand miles including a tour coast to coast. I'm full time and this is my daily driver too.

I often cruise at 80 mph and even went though a hurricane with this setup. Zero problems.

Frankly, I don't know why there are no problems, but here I am.

Lwiddis
Explorer
Explorer
I donโ€™t recall any posting on this forum regarding a solar panel separating from an RV roof and Iโ€™ve never seen a busted up panel on the road or an RV missing a panel. IMO about two to three RVs with panels have some type of air dam while 97 out of 100 donโ€™t. Last month at Furnace Creek CG 20 to 25% had some type of solar system.

My counts were not unexpected since the NPโ€™s FCCG of course has no hookups. Might be different at FC Ranch.
Winnebago 2101DS TT & 2022 Chevy Silverado 1500 LTZ Z71, WindyNation 300 watt solar-Lossigy 200 AH Lithium battery. Prefer boondocking, USFS, COE, BLM, NPS, TVA, state camps. Bicyclist. 14 yr. Army -11B40 then 11A - (MOS 1542 & 1560) IOBC & IOAC grad

Almot
Explorer III
Explorer III
Plywood roof?
I would use 2-piece Z-brackets with tapping screws into the roof (and sealant under the bracket). Like those QHST only 2-piece.
Don't remember if anybody is selling aluminum 2-piece Z, but you can easily make it of 2x2 alu angle. Or even 1.5x2.0, to leave 1.5" under the panel and 2.0 width is sitting on the roof.

To remove the panel, disconnect the screws holding two pieces together. Lower piece stays put.

Without rails.

hedge
Explorer
Explorer
I have 3 panels mounted across the front of my truck camper and have had no issues.. and the center one is only into the plywood. Mine are just using the standard cheap mounts so they are only about 1 1/2" off the roof.

Haven't been in a wind tunnel but my theory is the curved front actually pushes the air over top of them.

I've driven in some pretty crazy wind in Southern Alberta where semis get blown over and no issues so far.
2017 F350 Platinum DRW
2013 Adventurer 89RB

time2roll
Explorer II
Explorer II
If I was mounting a panel close to the front edge such that it would catch the direct airflow I would mount it with a continuous bracket across the leading edge to keep the air from getting underneath.

Lwiddis
Explorer
Explorer
MDKโ€™s suggestion would create a heat issue. Iโ€™ve gently touched my panels on a warm day. They were hot!

Lwiddis
Explorer
Explorer
My three panels are mounted on the front of my TT. No problems. Ask a wind resistance expert about air dams. I did and the advice was let the wind flow over and under the panels.

MDKMDK
Explorer
Explorer
Once you get the front 3 set and mounted, instead of adding an air dam, could you pack something underneath the leading edge to act as an air dam? Might be easier than adding a piece of plastic or something and trying to create a continuous surface between the front of the panels and top edge of the roof. I think it would accomplish the same result. If you're concerned about wind/air flow getting under the panels.
Have you considered using low profile flex panels which could be mounted nearly flush to the roof's surface? They're usually pretty thin, and a dab of sealant all around them would solve the air dam issue.
Mike. Comments are anecdotal or personal opinions, and worth what you paid for them.
2018 (2017 Sprinter Cab Chassis) Navion24V + 2016 Wrangler JKU (sold @ ????)
2016 Sunstar 26HE, V10, 3V, 6 Speed (sold @ 4600 miles)
2002 Roadtrek C190P (sold @ 315,000kms)