cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

RV Awning clearances for second awning install

ajk170
Explorer
Explorer
Hello! I am hoping somebody can help shed light on a 2nd patio awning install we would like to do on our 2015 Keystone Outback 316RL. Specifically, we want to add a second patio awning on the slide. But I'm not sure what type of clearances we need (i.e. from windows, top of the slide, overhang of awning on the sides, etc.) We do have a rail above the slide that a slide topper could attach too but we haven't done that. My initial though is, "Why couldn't we use that rail to attach a patio awning to it and as the slide extends out it naturally unwinds the awning (of course we would have to unlock the awning before extending) and then once the slide is fully extended, we just finish pulling the awning out the rest of the way until it too is fully extended. Or would I have to install a rail kit on the slide itself?
3 REPLIES 3

4x4van
Explorer
Explorer
I doubt that "low overhead" would be an issue, as long as your awning includes the typical adjustable length legs. As for rubbing on the top of the slideout; that may indeed be an issue depending on how much lower the slideout is vs the awning rail on the main part of the MH. However, some edge trim, maybe like that used on car doors, along the top edge of the slide would likely take care of that.
We don't stop playing because we grow old...We grow old because we stop playing!

2004 Itasca Sunrise M-30W
Carson enclosed ATV Trailer
-'85 ATC250R, '12 Husky TE310, '20 CanAm X3 X rs Turbo RR
Zieman Jetski Trailer
-'96 GTi, '96 Waveblaster II

ajk170
Explorer
Explorer
4x4van- thanks for the response and letting me know that youโ€™ve seen what Iโ€™m talkkng about. One of my concerns is the height that the awning would be at since it would be about 12โ€ lower than the main patio awning- would it create a โ€œlow overhead problemโ€. The other concern is, would the awning rub against the slideโ€™s edge or would it have enough height to clear the edge of the slide as it extends beyond the slide? I figure it would extend out in and angle and not straight out from the slide. I wonder as it extends out on an angle, would it rub and potentially create holes?

4x4van
Explorer
Explorer
I've actually seen that exact setup; not sure if the awning used was specifiaclly designed for double duty or not. You would have to make sure that the roller is above the top of the slideout, and (as you say) the awning is unlocked BEFORE extending the slideout.
We don't stop playing because we grow old...We grow old because we stop playing!

2004 Itasca Sunrise M-30W
Carson enclosed ATV Trailer
-'85 ATC250R, '12 Husky TE310, '20 CanAm X3 X rs Turbo RR
Zieman Jetski Trailer
-'96 GTi, '96 Waveblaster II