cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Carrying a cycle/bike

Tom_Barb
Explorer
Explorer
Who carries a motorcycle? How big? How do you carry? Box trailer, hitch carrier. ? what?
2000 Newmar mountain aire 4081 DP, ISC/350 Allison 6 speed, Wrangler JL toad.
13 REPLIES 13

Bill1374
Explorer
Explorer
Carry either my Harley Streetglide or Fatboy on a Overbilt lift on the back of the mh. Had it installed at the factory which is a bit over an hour from me. The carrier also allows me to have my toad behind the carrier. Been vey happy with it.
KZ Montego Bay in Florida
Rockwood lite up north
2016 HD Street Glide, 12 Fatboy for cruisin

Tom_Barb
Explorer
Explorer
FIRE UP wrote:
Tom/Barb wrote:
FIRE UP wrote:
Tom/Barb,
I have done exactly what you're thinking about. The coach we did it with at the time was a '99 Fleetwood Bounder 34V with the F-53 chassis and the 275HP Triton V-10. The V-10 had the Banks kit on it when we bought the coach. We'd towed Jeeps all over the planet for years and had zero issues with three different coaches, up to that one. But, I acquired two TW 200s and wanted to take one with us when traveling.

So, I built a hauler for it, to be attached to the receiver of the coach. While it was a tad crude for my normal fabrication, it worked, and worked very well. I designed it not only for carrying one TW, but also to tow our '04 Jeep Rubicon. It was a good system all except for what it took to get the bike up on to the rack and back off. That rack was a bit high for manual loading of the bike and, it was impossible to ride it up. But, we did it and survived.

Since Photobucket robbed us all of being able to post pics, I can't show you the system. It was not hard to build. One thing you want to make sure of, (there's actually more than one) is, making sure you have adequate tie-downs for the bike. You don't want that bike rocking around.
Scott

Thanks for that, we know that the longer the rear over hang is the easier to exceed the turn radius of he Jeep, and we are pretty long now.
There is no easy answer, But we know the trailer hitch on the jeep will not carry the weight with out major modification.

Not exactly sure what you mean by that.
Scott

When you have a long overhang behind the rear wheels, the whole coach pivots on the rear axle, as the front swings left, the rear of the coach swings right, this causes the jeep to be right angles to the coach when the coach is ready to pull straight ahead, this will exceed the turn radius of the jeep and pull the jeep sideways thru the corner.
The longer the overhang the worse this gets. We are now longer than I'd like to be, When we get in places that require short turns or sharp corners our jeep gets punished, we've already broken 1 tow bar, I really don't want to go thru that again.
We own a 8.5' X 18' flat bed trailer that we have hauled the jeep on plenty times before, I think I'll simply load both on the trailer when needed, or just take the bike on a hitch carrier on the coach when we need to.

FIRE_UP
Explorer
Explorer
Tom/Barb wrote:
FIRE UP wrote:
Tom/Barb,
I have done exactly what you're thinking about. The coach we did it with at the time was a '99 Fleetwood Bounder 34V with the F-53 chassis and the 275HP Triton V-10. The V-10 had the Banks kit on it when we bought the coach. We'd towed Jeeps all over the planet for years and had zero issues with three different coaches, up to that one. But, I acquired two TW 200s and wanted to take one with us when traveling.

So, I built a hauler for it, to be attached to the receiver of the coach. While it was a tad crude for my normal fabrication, it worked, and worked very well. I designed it not only for carrying one TW, but also to tow our '04 Jeep Rubicon. It was a good system all except for what it took to get the bike up on to the rack and back off. That rack was a bit high for manual loading of the bike and, it was impossible to ride it up. But, we did it and survived.

Since Photobucket robbed us all of being able to post pics, I can't show you the system. It was not hard to build. One thing you want to make sure of, (there's actually more than one) is, making sure you have adequate tie-downs for the bike. You don't want that bike rocking around.
Scott

Thanks for that, we know that the longer the rear over hang is the easier to exceed the turn radius of he Jeep, and we are pretty long now.
There is no easy answer, But we know the trailer hitch on the jeep will not carry the weight with out major modification.

Not exactly sure what you mean by that. When I built my carrier, as stated, I also welded in a receiver so we could tow right from that carrier. The receiver was of normal length. And, the tow bar, inserted into it, just like normal. When I first set the system up, I hooked everything up and the wife and I cruised on down to the local high school parking lot, just down the street from our home.

There, I had her turn the motorhome in tight radius turns, from straight to left and straight to right. At no time, was the Jeep ever in danger of colliding with the bike. It just went to a certain distance between the two and, from that point on , it just followed that distance 'till we straightened out again.

It's tough to find a commercial made hauler that will also tow, without getting in to VERY BIG MONEY. As in, a Hydralift or Cruisemaster or, Overbuilt. And you most certainly don't need anything like any of those for a 275 lb. TW 200. That's why I built mine. Sure wish I could post pics. I can do it on any other forum, just not this one.
Scott
Scott and Karla
SDFD RETIRED
2004 Itasca Horizon, 36GD Slate Blue 330 CAT
2011 GMC Sierra 1500 Ext Cab 4x4 Toad
2008 Caliente Red LVL II GL 1800 Goldwing
KI60ND

Tom_Barb
Explorer
Explorer
FIRE UP wrote:
Tom/Barb,

Scott

FIRE_UP
Explorer
Explorer
Tom/Barb,

Scott
Scott and Karla
SDFD RETIRED
2004 Itasca Horizon, 36GD Slate Blue 330 CAT
2011 GMC Sierra 1500 Ext Cab 4x4 Toad
2008 Caliente Red LVL II GL 1800 Goldwing
KI60ND

Groover
Explorer II
Explorer II
I have carried bicycles on a hitch mounted rack on the back of my diesel pusher with a rear radiator. A few plastic parts on the bikes got distorted, presumably from the heat. I am not sure that I want to expose a motorized device to that heat. Just something to think about.

My rig a has small generator hatch on the front like the one in the op's profile. I put a front hitch in between the front tag and the generator hatch and can carry two scooters on a rack up there and still tow a boat or horse trailer. The main problem is that anything larger than a Honda Elite 110 blocks the headlights.

Tom_Barb
Explorer
Explorer
Nutinelse2do wrote:

Twโ€™s only weigh 278lb. Maybe check the specs on your jeep, and see if you could do a hitch mount,

I have posted questions to that on several jeep web pages. we will see what they come up with.

Nutinelse2do
Explorer
Explorer
Great little bike. That was our first option, but hubby wanted something for 2 up riding. We considered doing the front mount, but we would have to cut into the body, so no way Jose!

Twโ€™s only weigh 278lb. Maybe check the specs on your jeep, and see if you could do a hitch mount, reinforced of course, on a good carrier/ ramp. We were gonna do the tw on the back hitch of our truck, but DH wanted the bigger bike.

Just an option to consider.

Edit... A great ramp for your Jeep is the Tilt-A-rack. Seems to be the better made, easiest to load, and lightest one out there.
Living Our Dream
MTHRSHP - 2006 KSDP 3912
Cummins 350ISL...Spartan Chassis
ESC POD - 2019 Ford Ranger XLT FX4
Zippy Scoot- 2018 Honda PCX 150 on an Overbilt Lift
Shredder at the Rainbow Bridge - You Will Always Be With Us

Tom_Barb
Explorer
Explorer
We are contemplating a Yamaha TW200, we tow the jeep so that kinda eliminates a truck bed carrier, but the overbuilt lift looks good.
Anyone carry their M/C on the front of the coach, my front axle has the ability, it's no where near the weight limit for the axel?

Nutinelse2do
Explorer
Explorer
We carry a KLR650 on an Overbilt lift. We got the Overbilt because itโ€™s the only hitch carrier that you donโ€™t have to remove the towbar in order to lower the bike.
Living Our Dream
MTHRSHP - 2006 KSDP 3912
Cummins 350ISL...Spartan Chassis
ESC POD - 2019 Ford Ranger XLT FX4
Zippy Scoot- 2018 Honda PCX 150 on an Overbilt Lift
Shredder at the Rainbow Bridge - You Will Always Be With Us

harley-dave
Explorer
Explorer
We've have a 31" class C and we've carried 2 Harley's on an Aluma trailer for years now.

Dave
2005 Winnebago-Itasca Sundancer 31C
2010 Harley-Davidson Soft tail Deluxe
2014 Harley-Davidson Street Glide Special
1999 Chevrolet Tracker 4X4
SKP # 121272

Roadpilot
Explorer
Explorer
I have carried a Harley fuller dresser on a lift welded to the back of a MH, on a Rampage truck bed lift and Cruiser Caddie truck bed lift and a trailer. I've also carried the wife's motorcycle in our front bay.

If had a choice, I'd use a Cruiser Caddie in the truck bed. Second choice would be a lift on the back of the MH. Third would be a trailer. The Rampage would be last due to it's weight, complexity and the fact it scared me every time I used it.
Tiffin Wayfarer 25TW
15 Mini Cooper S

MrWizard
there are lot of us with (2) wheel 'motors'
instead of toads
my 'scoot' is carried on a hitch mounted carrier on the rear of the MH
I can explain it to you.
But I Can Not understand it for you !

Connected using T-Mobile Home internet and Visible Phone service
1997 F53 Bounder 36s