cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Magnum inverter/charger remote display info? Not in manual.

Freightguy
Explorer
Explorer
Ok so my last post got me some good education. So here's this question. I have 8 house batteries that I think are 2 banks of 4, since I have two Magnum inverters and two remotes in the coach.

The questions is, the remotes display two lines, the first line shows what is going on, likke "bulk charging" Second line shows "DC 13.9V + 24A"

No where in the manual mentions the + 24A thing! This number changes as well could be + 5A or + 30A. What does this mean?
2009 American Tradition 42P
2011 Jeep Wrangler Unlimted
15 REPLIES 15

Freightguy
Explorer
Explorer
Ok so I was able to turn the remote unit off today by turning off the house batteries. Theory being I had to run through a cycle of turing the ignition on then off after the first press calling for auto mode. Did not work.

I am thinking this may actually be more common than not since turning off the house batteries is what triggered this, I beleive.

Smitty77
Explorer
Explorer
OP - I understand your frustration. I was quite content in my thinking the data I was seeing on my ARC-50, with a MS2812/Temp Sensor/BMK-Meter all going thru a BMK-Meter Kit Shunt - was keeping me accurately informed on teh contain of my house bank... Well, not quite -was the real truth!

On the info line's where you are seeing on Line One 'Bulk Charging, and line 2 'DC 13.9V + 24A' - here is my understanding after a recent call to Magnum Tech Support:

Line 1: Is pretty basic, showing that the Inverter/Charger is in Charge mode, and it's in the Bulk stage.
Line 2: Shows the DV value is 13.9V. And that the 'Amps are at 24A. Now, her is where it gets less then easy to understand what that '24A' might represent. In charge mode, one would hope it would reflect what the Charge In Amp's are being fed into the battery. So that Tapered Down 'Amps' could be determined. But from my recent call with Magnum Tech Support, I was informed it's really a combo of the 'Amp's draw to the coach + the Amp's Charge to the battery.'. So say the coach is drawing 10Amps, that would mean the Charge Amps would be 14Amps = 24A displayed'.

And while Magnum's manuals have lots of info. I agree, that between my MS2812, BMK-Meter and ARC-50 Control Panel - NO WHERE DID I READ WHAT THE 'Line 2 Display of Volts and or Amps represent.

Unfortunately, I interpreted the '24A' of Line 2 to represent the 'Tapered Down' charge amps value - so important to monitoring the actually charge status of a battery bank... This miss interpretation by me, resulted me 'hammering my suspect battery bank', with multiple charges and equalize charges - in the quest to obtaining 'Full Charge' amp values for my specific size Battery Bank. ( 4 Amps, was the value that Lifeline indicated as Full Charge for my 800AH Bank. My coach idle/parasitic draw of between 9-12 Amps. And the 'Line 2' Amps reflected never dropped below 12-12Amps displayed. (Usually between 13-15Amps was displayed.) ---- Well, that made me feel think, wrongly, that my battery bank was not fully charged (4Amps recommend by Lifeline).

So, I learned quite a bit - sadly after the fact, on what was, or was not, displayed by the Magnum ARC-50 panel. And yes, I've pointed out how misleading this value is, as well as if this info is 'documented' in any of their documentation - it was buried where I missed it(:!

Don't get me wrong. I like Magnum products. I like their tech support. But, the deeper I dive into things, the more I learn about both documentation confusion, as well as frankly IMO 'Holes in their the Charging Programing Logic'. And that's OK, as they evolve, and I continue to learn.

I as an owner. Have sole responsibility for the care and feeding my House and Chassis battery - I sort of 'Burn as I learn!'. Expensive lesson's, at time...

Best to you,
Smitty

Freightguy
Explorer
Explorer
I thin I am going to recreate the incident I think lead to this which was changing the house batteries. From what I read in teh MANUAL and other posts about the safety lockout, I think I need to disconnect the command 30 from power, reconnect it, then go ask for it to go auto, I should then get the same message, but since this is the first time calling for auto I then turn the ingintion to the motor on, the display should then change to auto. If this does not work I may have a failure in the safety circuit.

Freightguy
Explorer
Explorer
Itinerant1 wrote:
Freightguy wrote:
I have the manual, its pretty much usless. Call for service is their solution.

+24A is low as I had the max charge set low from being on shore power for such a long time.

I can't be the only one with questions after reading your OP then saying the manual is usless, there is a lot of info for settings if you understand what it's saying.

Which Magnum inverter/ charger do you have? You said there 2 are both inverter/ chargers ? How do you know what to set charging for when not sure what size bank you have? What are the remotes and are they for the individual magnums? You recently posted in another thread about auto start issues on a generator I'm guessing that's wired through one of the remote controls?

It is useless when it comes to the troubleshooting section. Its about 2 paragraphs. I did not say one cannot learn from the rest of the manual.

GordonThree
Explorer
Explorer
shastagary wrote:
all this fancy complicated electronics installed in a lot of rv's have so many settings that the vast majority of people will never understand and care not to learn about because it is just to complicated.
evan the installers rarely understand the settings for what they are installing. unless the manufacturers hold training programs for the installers or a tech at the rv dealers most will never understand how it works or how it should be setup so the customer is left to figure it out or just use it improperly.

Agreed. Equipping a rig with bells and whistles, then giving no training is a disservice. All that results is frustrations and avoidance of the technology.
2013 KZ Sportsmen Classic 200, 20 ft TT
2020 RAM 1500, 5.7 4x4, 8 speed

shastagary
Explorer
Explorer
all this fancy complicated electronics installed in a lot of rv's have so many settings that the vast majority of people will never understand and care not to learn about because it is just to complicated.
evan the installers rarely understand the settings for what they are installing. unless the manufacturers hold training programs for the installers or a tech at the rv dealers most will never understand how it works or how it should be setup so the customer is left to figure it out or just use it improperly.

GordonThree
Explorer
Explorer
This maybe?

Itinerant1
Explorer
Explorer
Freightguy wrote:

+24A is low as I had the max charge set low from being on shore power for such a long time.

I can't be the only one with questions after reading your OP then saying the manual is usless, there is a lot of info for settings if you understand what it's saying.

Which Magnum inverter/ charger do you have? You said there 2 are both inverter/ chargers ? How do you know what to set charging for when not sure what size bank you have? What are the remotes and are they for the individual magnums? You recently posted in another thread about auto start issues on a generator I'm guessing that's wired through one of the remote controls?
12v 500ah, 20 cells_ 4s5p (GBS LFMP battery system). 8 CTI 160 watt panels (1,280 watts)2s4p,Panels mounted flat. Magnum PT100 SCC, Magnum 3012 hybrid inverter, ME-ARC 50. Installed 4/2016 been on 24/7/365, daily 35-45% DOD 2,500+ partial cycles.

MrWizard
Unless you are on a 20 amp service, and using more power via inverter circuits
There is no need to limit charge current
I can explain it to you.
But I Can Not understand it for you !

Connected using T-Mobile Home internet and Visible Phone service
1997 F53 Bounder 36s

GordonThree
Explorer
Explorer
limiting the charging current doesn't help save your batteries, especially a bank that size.

Freightguy
Explorer
Explorer

GordonThree
Explorer
Explorer
+24a sounds low for bulk.

shastagary
Explorer
Explorer
find and download the remote manual for the one you have. that line on the display in the charging mode should be displaying the voltage and amperage the charger is putting out magnum Remote Control pdf manual

MrWizard
+ is positive aka amps charging going in
+24A, is 24 amps charge current
+5A is 5amps charge current

when you start charging the number starts out larger and gets smaller as the batteries charge
I can explain it to you.
But I Can Not understand it for you !

Connected using T-Mobile Home internet and Visible Phone service
1997 F53 Bounder 36s