cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

smell in bathroom

bsport
Explorer
Explorer
I have a smelly bathroom, I changed toilet seal and still had a smell its is not real bad just enough odor for DW to let me know. Made sure sink trap has water but still have the smell. Toilet does have water in it at all times. Floor and every inch has been cleaned a lot of times. ( HELP) Bsport

โš Did you see "Announcement : ★★READ BEFORE POSTING HERE★★" at the top?
    Forum Posting Help and Support is reserved for questions related to "posting" issues with Open Roads Forum sites, member profile and photo testing, and for reporting account issues. Please avoid using this forum for RV related questions, as doing so can delay responses to your thread. Instead, visit the RV Forum which corresponds to the subject of your topic, and click the Post New Topic link. Thank-you!

Moved from FORUM POSTING HELP AND SUPPORT

13 REPLIES 13

CavemanCharlie
Explorer II
Explorer II
Dave H M wrote:
bguy wrote:
Don't run the vent fan until after you flush.

Whoa, i am not going to set there in that noxious gas cloud. :R

I think that what he is trying to say that when you flush a RV toilet and have the fan running it can draw air out of the black tank and make the bathroom smell bad.

Maybe, "shut of fan when flushing toilet" might have been a better way to word it.

FunnyCamper
Explorer II
Explorer II
could easily be poop pyramid in the black tank ๐Ÿ™‚
Clean blank tank thoroughly. We had the 'smell' only once in over 20 yrs of rv'ing and we did it all....check vents, seals, clean black tank like crazy but still there and then hubby 'cleaned!!' the black tank to the max....amazing what did come out of it--thinking all the time that tank never had that in there. It can easily be in there and if that smell holds then you know something might be down there lurking ๐Ÿ™‚

best of luck on this cause there is nothing worse than that odor when ya hit the bathroom and just want a nice smelling rv and ya get that ๐Ÿ™‚

Once we went heck bent on dealing with the black tank we have been odorless since. Who knows why it did what it did just then, but we got it handled.

wa8yxm
Explorer III
Explorer III
There may be an "Air Admission" Valve (Vauum breaker) under the sink as well.. May need replacement.

Suggestion: Open window, Close door, Turn on fan (open vent if it's covered against rain) and install Air-Wick automatic sprayer or equivalent.
Home was where I park it. but alas the.
2005 Damon Intruder 377 Alas declared a total loss
after a semi "nicked" it. Still have the radios
Kenwood TS-2000, ICOM ID-5100, ID-51A+2, ID-880 REF030C most times

Dave_H_M
Explorer
Explorer
bguy wrote:

Whoa, i am not going to set there in that noxious gas cloud. :R

bguy
Explorer
Explorer
---------------------------------------
2011 Ram 1500 Quad Cab, 4x4, 3.55, HEMI
2009 TL-32BHS Trail-Lite by R-Vision

bsport
Explorer
Explorer
Thanks will check it out the venting thing under sin. Was out of town just returned so I can get started,

Lwiddis
Explorer
Explorer
He needed โ€œsupport.โ€

Flush the shower drain and the bathroom sink drain throughly...use a bleach solution on the last flush.
Winnebago 2101DS TT & 2022 Chevy Silverado 1500 LTZ Z71, WindyNation 300 watt solar-Lossigy 200 AH Lithium battery. Prefer boondocking, USFS, COE, BLM, NPS, TVA, state camps. Bicyclist. 14 yr. Army -11B40 then 11A - (MOS 1542 & 1560) IOBC & IOAC grad

2oldman
Explorer
Explorer
How did you get to this forum?
"If I'm wearing long pants, I'm too far north" - 2oldman

punomatic
Explorer
Explorer
I have a Dometic 300 toilet. The bathroom started to smell like a gas station men's room. I finally removed the toilet and disassembled it. Turns out the toilet base is made in 2 pieces with a thin, square "O" ring between them. When the toilet was assembled at the factory, the "O" ring got twisted so it leaked. There was about a cup of black water trapped in the toilet housing. Cleaned it out and replaced the "O" ring CAREFULLY. Problem solved.
DW and Me
2016 Riverside White Water Retro 195
2014 Nissan Titan SL Crew Cab
Formerly, I used to work for the department of redundancy department.

Life in Black and Blue

doxiemom11
Explorer II
Explorer II
Air admittance valve found under the sink. You can replace it easily. Purchase new one from one of the big box stores. We got ours at Lowe's.

LadyRVer
Explorer
Explorer
Make sure the shower has water in the pipe, too.

Jim
Explorer
Explorer
I agree with K Charles, and also, if your venting up on the roof is inadequate (which is entirely possible with some rigs), air pressure changes or traveling winds can suck smells up past the seals and water.

You don't tell us a thing about your RV so I'll assume it's really old and if it has those ol' timey domed covers for the vent pipes, I'd recommend those be replaced with a simple 'T' plumbing fixture from the bathroom department of Home Depot.
Jim@HiTek
Have shop, will travel!
Visit my travel & RV repair blog site. Subscribe for emailed updates.
Winnebago Journey, '02
Cat 330HP Diesel, 36.5', two slides.

K_Charles
Explorer
Explorer
The vent thing under the sink.