cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Carefree of Colorado Slide Out Awning

Bobchambe
Explorer
Explorer
I have a 1996 Georgie Boy Cruise Master that needs a new slideout awning fabric installed.
I have replaced the awning fabric on the patio awning and all of the window awnings without a problem. They are all A & E.
My slide out awning is a Carefree of Colorado, and I can't find any info on replacing the fabric. I do not see any hole to put a pin in to keep the spring from rewinding in order to get the end cap off.
Has anyone replaced their awning fabric on the older model Carefree's?
8 REPLIES 8

Bobchambe
Explorer
Explorer
There is no hole that goes all the way through on mine.
I was able to unroll the fabric and put a small screwdriver in the hole on the end cap (that does not go all the way through) and let the screwdriver rest against the slide so it did not rewind.
I drilled a 1/4 inch slot about 1 inch long in the groove where the fabric slides in and out and I was able to remove the old fabric and very carefully slide the new fabric in.
I cut the old fabric about 3 or 4 inches from the roller tube, and made it easier to remove the old fabric in two pieces.
Carefree of Colorado customer assistance was helpful, but they recommended unwinding the spring by hand, which I declined to do standing on a step ladder. They said "the spring has the same tension as a window awning" which in my particular was not the case. It was quite a bit more than a window awning. Anyway, have it done and it looks great.

dcbopp
Explorer
Explorer
On the older SOK II slide topper, the hole to put a nail into is on the left side as per Carefree's website info. To find the hole, push the roller to the right to find the inner hole. It will move about 3/16 of an inch horizontally exposing the hole which is facing straight outward at 90 degrees from vertical.

Ivylog
Explorer III
Explorer III
I've drilled a angled hole into the slot that the strap to open a window awning to replace the broken strap. Agree this may be the easiest way for you to get the frabic out.
This post is my opinion (free advice). It is not intended to influence anyone's judgment nor do I advocate anyone do what I propose.
Sold 04 Dynasty to our son after 14 great years.
Upgraded with a 08 HR Navigator 45’...

Bobchambe
Explorer
Explorer
Thank you for the replies. I have found one post online that says to lock the tube with vice grips and then drill a one inch slot in the groove that holds the fabric so the fabric can be removed without removing the end caps. I may try this suggestion.

Bobchambe
Explorer
Explorer
Ivylog wrote:
On the right hand side from a ladder is the hole in the end of the tube you put a nail in to hold the spring.

I have checked both ends of the tube and could not find a hole for a nail. A & E awnings have the hole you are talking about, but this model Carefree does not.

Bobchambe
Explorer
Explorer
I have checked you tube and the videos I found do not pertain to the model I have. They are all for the newer Carefree models.

Ivylog
Explorer III
Explorer III
On the right hand side from a ladder is the hole in the end of the tube you put a nail in to hold the spring.
This post is my opinion (free advice). It is not intended to influence anyone's judgment nor do I advocate anyone do what I propose.
Sold 04 Dynasty to our son after 14 great years.
Upgraded with a 08 HR Navigator 45’...

old_guy
Explorer
Explorer
You tube. look for rvgeeks they have a video on how to replace the awning and a good choice of material ordering