cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

2018 Nissan Armada

EagleScout-USA
Explorer
Explorer
Good day. I was wondering if anyone was towing their RV with a 2018 Nissan Armada? If so, can you please share your experiences. We have been looking at the Yukon and the Expedition, but found that I can buy a new Armada for the price of a 2 year Ford or GMC. I would like the ability to travel with family when pulling the RV, and bringing 2 vehicles for trips of distance is just not practical for us. A van is not an option, as we need the AWD or 4x4 capabilities for our winters. Thank you.
11 REPLIES 11

Chase_WV
Explorer
Explorer
Just be ready for the stares when you pull in when you are towing with an Armada. But ironically, no one would look twice if you are towing the same trailer with a Titan.
2017 Ram 3500 6.7 CTD
2012 Keystone Hideout 31RBDS (Reese Dual Cam WD)

APT
Explorer
Explorer
I have a friend that tows a 32' TT with an Armada. It has a lot of power, good gearing, reasonable handling when loaded. Be careful with payload on any of them.
A & A parents of DD 2005, DS1 2007, DS2 2009
2011 Suburban 2500 6.0L 3.73 pulling 2011 Heartland North Trail 28BRS
2017 Subaru Outback 3.6R
2x 2023 Chevrolet Bolt EUV (Gray and Black Twins)

Grit_dog
Nomad III
Nomad III
Nice trucks. more snort than the 5.3 GM. Less than the 6.2 and Eco boost if you're comparing. And 7 speed trans is enough gears. What gear ratios can you get? They'll handle a decent trailer as any half ton SUV will.
2016 Ram 2500, MotorOps.ca EFIlive tuned, 5โ€ turbo back, 6" lift on 37s
2017 Heartland Torque T29 - Sold.
Couple of Arctic Fox TCs - Sold

Ralph_Cramden
Explorer II
Explorer II
Chase_WV wrote:
Towed a 35 ft travel trailer with an Armada. Plenty of power but now have a Ram 3500 with 6.7l CTD. Enough said.

I bet that was fun with it's 1700 lb payload and 850 lb max hitch weight, if you give a rats ass about such things. My 23' Rockwood Hybrid when loaded would exceed the Armadas max hitch weight.
Too many geezers, self appointed moderators, experts, and disappearing posts for me. Enjoy. How many times can the same thing be rehashed over and over?

Me_Again
Explorer II
Explorer II
rjstractor wrote:
Me Again wrote:
Toyota 4Runner is a body on frame rig.

Are you thinking of the Sequoia? Compared with the Armada, Expedition and Suburban the 4Runner is tiny.

Yeah, my bad!
2021 F150 2.7 Ecoboost - Summer Home 2017 Bighorn 3575el. Can Am Spyder RT-L Chrome, Kawasaki KRX1000. Retired and enjoying it! RIP DW 07-05-2021

rjstractor
Nomad
Nomad
Me Again wrote:

Are you thinking of the Sequoia? Compared with the Armada, Expedition and Suburban the 4Runner is tiny.
2017 VW Golf Alltrack
2000 Ford F250 7.3

Me_Again
Explorer II
Explorer II
2021 F150 2.7 Ecoboost - Summer Home 2017 Bighorn 3575el. Can Am Spyder RT-L Chrome, Kawasaki KRX1000. Retired and enjoying it! RIP DW 07-05-2021

Chase_WV
Explorer
Explorer
Towed a 35 ft travel trailer with an Armada. Plenty of power but now have a Ram 3500 with 6.7l CTD. Enough said.
2017 Ram 3500 6.7 CTD
2012 Keystone Hideout 31RBDS (Reese Dual Cam WD)

Mortimer_Brewst
Explorer
Explorer
Have you considered a used Suburban 2500? I loved ours. Longer wheelbase, comfortable ride and youโ€™d have more payload as well.
My experience with our Explorer was that Ford was excellent in honoring their warranty. They really stood behind their product. Corporate Nissan on the other hand, did not honor their warranty on our Altima. Two dealers had told us our issue should have been covered, but Nissan refused. I would go for the Chevy or Ford.
If ethics are poor at the top, that behavior is copied down through the organization - Robert Noyce

2018 Chevy Silverado 3500 SRW Duramax
2019 Coachmen Chaparral 298RLS

carringb
Explorer
Explorer
The Armada was my least favorite work vehicle last year. The engine is too loud and handling is clumsy. And the seats were completely unsupportive.

I didn't tow with it, it in sure power is adequate. Unloaded its quick.

Carrying capability was disappointing. I went to the Armada from a Flex, and the Flex drove the same even when loaded up with 2,200 pounds. The Armada with 1,500 pounds was squatting pretty good, and handling was noticably worse.

For a new SUV, the Expediton can't be beat. Beware it still has payload limitations, as does any half ton.
2000 Ford E450 V10 VAN! 450,000+ miles
2014 ORV really big trailer
2015 Ford Focus ST

Second_Chance
Explorer II
Explorer II
With most SUVs, you'll hit the limit on payload (passengers, fuel, "stuff," and tongue weight for the trailer) long before you reach the max towing capacity. Depending on how it is equipped and trimmed out, the Armada has a payload capacity between 1,537 and 1,724 lbs. If you have 700 lbs. of people and some other stuff (plus fuel), you'll have less than 1,000 lbs. left for tongue weight. A pull-behind travel trailer will typically put about 13% of the LOADED trailer weight on the hitch. Look at RVs with no more than 7,700 lbs. GVWR (on the RVs weights and capacities sticker) - DO NOT use the published empty weights and hitch weights.

Rob
U.S. Army retired
2020 Solitude 310GK-R
MORryde IS, disc brakes, solar, DP windows
(Previously in a Reflection 337RLS)
2012 F350 CC DRW Lariat 6.7
Full-time since 8/2015