cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Military campgrounds and ID

tenspeedret360
Explorer
Explorer
Good Morning, everybody, and thank you for your service. I have a quick question, and did a few searches, with negative results. A dear friend is returning from the mideast after her difficult service there. I know it would very much make her day if I took her out for a few weeks in the rv and just travelled around this great country. My question is, not to want to get anything I've not earned, but I assume she'd be eligible to stay at military campgrounds. Is that true, or would the rv have to be in her name, as compared to just having her with me as a passenger. I simply don't want to step on tows, and feel I'm getting something someone else earned.

Thank you, and again, thank you all for your service. None of us would be able to enjoy this beautiful country if it hadn't been for your sacrifices.

Kevin
NYPD (ret)
Kevin
FMCA #F383349
2006 Monaco LaPalma
2015 Hyundai Elantra
19 REPLIES 19

tenspeedret360
Explorer
Explorer
Again, thank you to all of you, a lot of valuable information....
Be Safe!

Kevin
Kevin
FMCA #F383349
2006 Monaco LaPalma
2015 Hyundai Elantra

monkey44
Nomad II
Nomad II
The above discussion tells me one thing for sure ... call ahead if you have any questions about eligibility or availability, particularly if it's important timing for you or your family regardless of what you believe about the potential for camping at an MCG.

When we're traveling, Genie always pops up the site and calls a day or so ahead just to make sure we haven't hit in the middle of some special event. Then, we can make alternate plans ... doesn't happen often, but once is enough. ๐Ÿ™‚
Monkey44
Cape Cod Ma & Central Fla
Chevy 2500HD 4x4 DC-SB
2008 Lance 845
Back-country camping fanatic

jerryjay11
Explorer
Explorer
There is an ALLSTAYS app you can add to your cell to find military campgrounds and their eligibility for stays. You can also at home use the site to do the same. I've used it while crossing the U.S. a couple times.

Also any NG/Reserve base would let you know before hand that a UTA weekend is coming up thus avoiding being bumped from those bases.

I didn't think this was true, but we discovered that at some active base CG's there are, at times, some permanent or extended stay military members who begin to think they have more rights than those of us that just stay for a few days. Just need to shrug your shoulder and enjoy your stay in spit of them. Just remember they are required to follow the same rules as you are.

Some CG's have host campers (funding available) that ensure the rules are observed as well as providing any help you need while there. Overall we enjoyed our stays at military base campgrounds and enjoy the security, and conveniences of an exchange, commissary, package store, etc.

Wadcutter
Explorer III
Explorer III
monkey44 wrote:

That one is news to me - I thought NG have to be on the active weekend, or the training weeks program, unless activated for a crisis.
Welcome, of course ... just new info. ๐Ÿ™‚
Most MCGs are great - and all the comforts of a commissary and PX/BX if you need it.

NG and Res have been allowed at military campgrounds for quite a few years, at least 25 yrs. They have BX and MWR authority regardless if on orders or not. DOD Instruction 1015.10, Enclosure 3.2.1
There are some campgrounds on NG training sites that are just for those members who are there on training status. Instead of being put up in billeting they have an area where those there doing training can park a camper.
The Ft McCoy NG training site near Sparta WI is open to anyone including those who have never been in the military. It's located on post but anyone from the public can use it. They don't even need a military sponsor.
Camped in every state

PawPaw_n_Gram
Explorer
Explorer
Re: National Guard.

Some National Guard bases campgrounds are only available for National Guard members. One near Austin, TX is that way.

When we inquired about staying at an Oregon NG base near the mouth of the Columbia River we were told trying to stay there on a drill weekend was a bad idea because we might be bumped by drilling NG members. Heard the same thing at NG bases in other states.

While campgrounds at almost all US military bases are run by recreation departments, many NG base campgrounds are built and maintained with state funds for the benefit of drill weekend or annual training members of the guard.

Which is fine with me.

Larry does a fantastic job with the military campgrounds web site. Just read the details about eligibility. And remember that the individual base commander has a lot of decision authority over campgrounds on his/ her base.

Weโ€™ve enjoyed staying on bases or detached recreational areas like Fourth Cliff near Boston or Canyon Lake near San Antonio over the years.

USN-Ret Senior Chief.
Full-Time 2014 - ????

โ€œNot all who wander are lost.โ€
"You were supposed to turn back at the last street."

2012 Ram 2500 Mega Cab
2014 Flagstaff 832IKBS TT

Gonzo42
Explorer
Explorer
There is a campground near San Onofre State Beach available only to active duty with ID.
MOTHER SHIP Winnebago View 24H (2007 Dodge Sprinter 3500 Chassis, 2008 Body)3.0 L M-B Diesel V6 bought used with 24K miles. Toad: ROCKY the Flying Squirrel.

CALandLIN
Explorer
Explorer
CALandLIN wrote:
Wadcutter wrote:
monkey44 wrote:
Basically, camping at military campgrounds is restricted to Active Duty, Retired military, and 100% disabled veterans. Any one that fits in those categories can access the campgrounds and bring guests.

And National Guard and Reserves. Doesn't matter if they are on active duty or not.
Usually DOD employees but not always.

That's all up to the base commander. There are no standardized rules or regulations for anyone other than active duty, retirees and 100% disabled vets.

CALandLIN
Explorer
Explorer
Wadcutter wrote:
monkey44 wrote:
Basically, camping at military campgrounds is restricted to Active Duty, Retired military, and 100% disabled veterans. Any one that fits in those categories can access the campgrounds and bring guests.

And National Guard and Reserves. Doesn't matter if they are on active duty or not.

That's all up to the base commander. There are no standardized rules or regulations for anyone other than active duty, retirees and 100% disabled vets.

monkey44
Nomad II
Nomad II
Wadcutter wrote:
monkey44 wrote:

That one is news to me - I thought NG have to be on the active weekend, or the training weeks program, unless activated for a crisis.

Welcome, of course ... just new info. ๐Ÿ™‚

Most MCGs are great - and all the comforts of a commissary and PX/BX if you need it.
Monkey44
Cape Cod Ma & Central Fla
Chevy 2500HD 4x4 DC-SB
2008 Lance 845
Back-country camping fanatic

Wadcutter
Explorer III
Explorer III
monkey44 wrote:

Camped in every state

jerryjay11
Explorer
Explorer
My wife and I have stayed at several Military campgrounds while crossing the country, attending my grand daughter's Naval graduation, camping for a weekend to meet with friends camping, or just for a weekend to get away. Never had we ever been asked to leave for active duty personnel. All the campgrounds have a reservation requirement and active duty members are also required to reserve, but never bump you out. As long as the military member (active, reserve, retired) has a military ID they can register for a site. The cost varies by base, but always reasonable.

RoyB
Explorer II
Explorer II
The secondary folks that has the ID Card can stay but they can be bumped in the middle of the night by active duty folks which is understandable...

Being DOD contractors we always got to stay at BOQs and other military places but always had to give up our stay if active duty folks came in late in the evening or early mornings... Looking for another place to stay at 3am is not fun sometimes hehe...

Some of our trips they sort of required us to stay at Military locations since we was working on Military Systems but the same thing would happen there getting bumped in the middle of the night so that didn't last long haha...

Being retired civil service I have stayed at a few Military camp grounds. Used to stay at the one at Lake Martin MAXWELL-GUNTER Rec Center North of Wetumpka AL. This was close to one of our DOD Space Surveillance Work Stations...

Roy Ken
My Posts are IMHO based on my experiences - Words in CAPS does not mean I am shouting
Roy - Carolyn
RETIRED DOAF/DON/DOD/CONTR RADIO TECH (42yrs)
K9PHT (Since 1957) 146.52M
2010 F150, 5.4,3:73 Gears,SCab
2008 Starcraft 14RT EU2000i GEN
2005 Flagstaff 8528RESS

Johno02
Explorer
Explorer
Many Corp of Endineers campgrounds are free to Active military.
Noel and Betty Johnson (and Harry)

2005 GulfStream Ultra Supreme, 1 Old grouch, 1 wonderful wife, and two silly poodles.

CALandLIN
Explorer
Explorer
The web site provided below will answer all your questions. Larry Farquhar established that site more than 15 years ago and always keeps it up-to-date.

Each military campground is managed by whoever is in charge of the military establishment that oversees its operation. Therefore, there is no set standards to rely upon other than the local commanders rules. The web site has all the particulars about who can or cannot stay there.

Click Here!