cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Atwood water heater breaker tripping

zackyboy3rs
Explorer
Explorer
Today breaker has tripped twice. Just now it stayed on for 2-3hours and then tripped. 50amp. Ac not running. Nothing in camper running expect lights. Could it be heating element? Thermostat? Can I just run it off of LP?
2009 Chevy Silverado LTZ 2500HD 6.0L, 3.73, Gas sipper
2015 Jayco Eagle HT 27.5 RLTS
5 REPLIES 5

zackyboy3rs
Explorer
Explorer
Well it has not tripped but once. I thought I heard it trip but it did not. So far all good.
2009 Chevy Silverado LTZ 2500HD 6.0L, 3.73, Gas sipper
2015 Jayco Eagle HT 27.5 RLTS

Old-Biscuit
Explorer
Explorer
zackyboy3rs wrote:
Today breaker has tripped twice. Just now it stayed on for 2-3hours and then tripped. 50amp. Ac not running. Nothing in camper running expect lights. Could it be heating element? Thermostat? Can I just run it off of LP?

2015 Atwood combo electric/gas uses the SAME set of t-stats for electric & propane......same circuit board-----same DC controls

Only thing separate is the 120V AC for electric element
If that individual CB for water heater is tripping then problem is with the electric element circuit
Either the AC wiring at the DC Relay, the wiring on the element or the element itself.

All of that is located in same place.....under the protective cover on backside of WH Tank (inside the RV)

Access can be easy Or really tight/difficult depending on the RV MFG and where WH is installed.

Propane can be used as heating source ----it just uses DC & Propane to function

Testing of element: 120V AC Power ON (CAUTION)
Use voltmeter and check that you have 120V AC between HOT (Black Wire) and NEUTRAL (White wire) on the element terminals

(Electric Switch ON and water temp below 110*F to controls are calling for HEAT)

Testing of element: NO AC POWER
Check continuity between Black Wire and White Wire Terminals on element
NO CONTINUITY------ELEMENT is BAD

Check continuity between White Wire Terminal and element flange
CONTINUITY-ELEMENT is SHORTED
Is it time for your medication or mine?

2007 DODGE 3500 QC SRW 5.9L CTD In-Bed 'quiet gen'
2007 HitchHiker II 32.5 UKTG 2000W Xantex Inverter
US NAVY------USS Decatur DDG31

Jim
Explorer
Explorer
Pretty sure it's tripping for a reason. Most likely a bad heater element.

Best to shut off the electric element in the water heater and just use gas until you can get 'Round2it'. BTW, I only used gas to heat the water 5 to 10 minutes before needing it. Shut off after. Save on gas that way.
Jim@HiTek
Have shop, will travel!
Visit my travel & RV repair blog site. Subscribe for emailed updates.
Winnebago Journey, '02
Cat 330HP Diesel, 36.5', two slides.

Lynnmor
Explorer
Explorer
Is that a GFI breaker you are referring to? If so, a bad heating element can trip it.

donn0128
Explorer
Explorer
Check the ohms on the heating element. My guess its going bad.