cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Blue lock tite

Bob_Vaughn
Explorer
Explorer
I have some glass light covers that will not stay screwed in when traveling and I was wondering if I could use the blue lock tite on them to keep them attached when going down the highway??
18 REPLIES 18

CavemanCharlie
Explorer II
Explorer II
Duct Tape.. Just kidding. I don't know what the fixtures look like. But, could you add just a small dab of something like clear silicone to the head of the screw rather then the threads ????? All you have to do is to keep the head of the screw from vibrating downwards. With the goo of your choice on the outside of the screw head you would be able to slice it off with a knife should you ever need to remove the screw.

ctilsie242
Explorer
Explorer
IBM had some stuff that was similar to clear nail polish, except with bits of nylon in it. This is what they used on their laptop screws before that division went to Lenovo. Downside is that you could not reuse screws, as they were coated from the factory, but they would hold in place and not come loose.

tatest
Explorer II
Explorer II
It works well on machine threads (nuts and bolts), but I've never tried it on screws where it means dissimilar materials. The chemistry of Blue is about adhesion to smooth metal surfaces.
Tom Test
Itasca Spirit 29B

mosseater
Explorer
Explorer
Ductape wrote:
Green penetrating Loctite is a more appropriate strength for small screws. Silicone is a lot easier to find.

Agreed, and the 290 will wick so can apply after installation.
"It`s not important that you know all the answers, it`s only important to know where to get all the answers" Arone Kleamyck
"...An unarmed man can only flee from evil, and evil is not overcome by fleeing from it." Col. Jeff Cooper
Sunset Creek 298 BH

Planning
Explorer
Explorer
Thread locking products have historically been cyanoacrylate based, and cure in an anaerobic environment.

I would try either a Geocel or silicone type caulk.
2016 AF 29-5K; 2016 F350 6.7, 4x4, CCLB DRW

Grit_dog
Nomad III
Nomad III
Agree, wrong app for loctite unless you donโ€™t want to loosen them again. Those pot metal fixtures and cheap screws will likely leave their threads attached to the wrong piece after loctite.
Use a less aggressive adhesive or vibration dampening stuff like silicone or elect tape.
2016 Ram 2500, MotorOps.ca EFIlive tuned, 5โ€ turbo back, 6" lift on 37s
2017 Heartland Torque T29 - Sold.
Couple of Arctic Fox TCs - Sold

Edd505
Explorer
Explorer
Shoe Goo
2015 F350 FX4 SRW 6.7 Crew, longbed - 2017 Durango Gold 353RKT
2006 F350 SRW 6.0 crew longbed sold
2000 F250 SRW 7.3 extended longbed airbags sold
2001 Western Star 4900EX sold
Jayco Eagle 30.5BHLT sold, Layton 24.5LT sold

westend
Explorer
Explorer
I'd use a more conventional sealant like silicone or a urethane. The bulb may go out in the fixture at some time and Loctite is known for it's strength. Putting a small bead at the connecting nubs is maybe all you need to eliminate vibration and offer peace of mind.
'03 F-250 4x4 CC
'71 Starcraft Wanderstar -- The Cowboy/Hilton

newman_fulltime
Explorer
Explorer
Small rubberband at base of threads tighten the nut up to it

Ductape
Explorer
Explorer
Green penetrating Loctite is a more appropriate strength for small screws. Silicone is a lot easier to find.
49 States, 6 Provinces, 2 Territories...

fj12ryder
Explorer II
Explorer II
"...thread locking adhesives typically rely on the electrochemical activity of a metal substrate to form a bond, surfaces must be clean to develop the full bonding strength. In the case of less electrochemically active metals such as the normally oxided surface of aluminium, an additional step of priming is required for full strength results"
Howard and Peggy

"Don't Panic"

Bob_Vaughn
Explorer
Explorer
mosseater wrote:
From memory, I don't think Loctite will cure unless used on metal. I am a big fan of the blue, but if the fastener is going into plastic It may not work. In fact, it may react badly with certain types of plastic. Check their website if you aren't sure.

The fixture is metal and the cover is frosted glass...

mosseater
Explorer
Explorer
From memory, I don't think Loctite will cure unless used on metal. I am a big fan of the blue, but if the fastener is going into plastic It may not work. In fact, it may react badly with certain types of plastic. Check their website if you aren't sure.
"It`s not important that you know all the answers, it`s only important to know where to get all the answers" Arone Kleamyck
"...An unarmed man can only flee from evil, and evil is not overcome by fleeing from it." Col. Jeff Cooper
Sunset Creek 298 BH

MFL
Nomad II
Nomad II
I think blue Loctite would work for the use you describe.

Jerry