cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

standard tv mount or rv tv mount?

95jersey
Explorer
Explorer
Can I just use a standard walmart swivel TV mount, or do I need an RV specific mount?

My concern is with the standard mount, there is no way to secure it from moving around during transport, vs the rv mounts seem to have locking mechanisms. How much of a big deal is this?
9 REPLIES 9

TNGW1500SE
Explorer
Explorer
Shop Monoprice.com and get a bungee cord at home depot. On my bedroom one, I put a hook on the wall and ran a wire between the two top TV mounting bolts. I throw the wire up over the hook when we travel. Monoprice almost gives the mounts away!

BUT... I got one there that is full motion. It even goes up and down. I can pull the TV out and then down. It was 60 bucks or so. A spring in the arm helps balance the weight of the TV and the tension is adjustable. I love it that I can move the TV down to watch it.

wa8yxm
Explorer III
Explorer III
My favorite TV buy was a Samsung (not a smart model) from Wal*mart off the "Sales floor clearance" they did not have a remote so it was downright cheap.

It replaced an older Samsung..... Same remote
Home was where I park it. but alas the.
2005 Damon Intruder 377 Alas declared a total loss
after a semi "nicked" it. Still have the radios
Kenwood TS-2000, ICOM ID-5100, ID-51A+2, ID-880 REF030C most times

jplante4
Explorer
Explorer
I paid more for the mount at BestBuy than I did for the TV.
Jerry & Jeanne
1996 Safari Sahara 3530 - 'White Tiger'
CAT 3126/Allison 6 speed/Magnum Chassis
2014 Equinox AWD / Blue Ox

WeBeFulltimers
Explorer
Explorer
You MUST use an RV specific tv mount! If you doubt it just ask any RV parts supplier. Just kidding of course.
2012 Ford F-350 PSD SRW ** CURT Q24 ** 2018.5 MONTANA 3791RD

wa8yxm
Explorer III
Explorer III
I have never seen a mount designed ONLY for RV's.

However I do have a warning on teh swing arm mounts

Mine the bolts at the pivoit points work loose and dump the TV. So I double secure it with crossed bungee cords when traveling.. Of course where mine is mounted if it fall off it bounces on the bed (no damage).
Home was where I park it. but alas the.
2005 Damon Intruder 377 Alas declared a total loss
after a semi "nicked" it. Still have the radios
Kenwood TS-2000, ICOM ID-5100, ID-51A+2, ID-880 REF030C most times

rk911
Explorer
Explorer
95jersey wrote:
Can I just use a standard walmart swivel TV mount, or do I need an RV specific mount?

My concern is with the standard mount, there is no way to secure it from moving around during transport, vs the rv mounts seem to have locking mechanisms. How much of a big deal is this?

our rear TV has a locking mount. love it!
Rich
Ham Radio, Sport Pilot, Retired 9-1-1 Call Center Administrator
'10 Jeep Liberty KK

& MaggieThe Wonder Beagle

ScottG
Nomad
Nomad
Mine is just a standard swinging arm type that's supposed to lock shut (but doesn't)

WNYBob
Explorer
Explorer
I use a inexpensive swivel mount, and secure it to the wall with a hook an a loop of Velcro around the bar to the hook. You could use 2 hooks and shock cords, just done over stretch or you might pull the hooks out.

Johno02
Explorer
Explorer
Sounds like someone is trying to feed you a line. Just put in place to travel, secure with velcro or a bungee.
Noel and Betty Johnson (and Harry)

2005 GulfStream Ultra Supreme, 1 Old grouch, 1 wonderful wife, and two silly poodles.