cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

GPS

Deraldjr
Explorer
Explorer
My RVND 7725 needs replaced. I like the Rand McNally type but there are a couple out there to choose from. Anyone have any advise?
20 REPLIES 20

Goaltender1
Explorer
Explorer
What apps or unit is best to avoid low bridges and bad roads?

Bill_Satellite
Explorer II
Explorer II
wa8yxm wrote:
For many years I used Microsoft S&T on my laptop with a GPS dongle. Still have it on the laptop below this laptop (I switched to Chromebooks for web work, More secure, easier to fix if they get infected, cleaner, faster and Touch Screen Oh Cheaper too)

But my last few trips I have just fired up MAPS on my 'Droid phoen and let Google tell me where to go... More or less.

You still have to use your brain, I mean one spot Google tells me "Turn left" when I want to go straight.. but my brain tells me teh road I'm on curves to teh right so continuing straight is really a left turn....legally.

THe other advantage to Google Maps.. Well this is "I suspect" rather than I can prove.

As I drive I suspect Google tracks my progress. and that of all other Google Mpas users. NOt that they are "Big Brothering" me but they are watching for traffic trends.. Cause I'll be going along at 55mPH and suddenly Lola (Robin Williams's name for the GPS in the movie RV) will say "There is a 5 mintue back up 7 miles ahead due to an accident do you wish to take an alternate route that will save you 2 minutes (Generally no I don't easier to stay on freeway).

I now of no other GPS that advanced.

Most all of that traffic data is actually coming from Waze (which Google now owns) and the data is shared with Google Maps. I have measured the data used by both and WAZE uses about twice the data which sounds about right. WAZE is a social Network and you agree to share your information about location and speed plus you are able to indicate the location of a crash, police activity, traffic slow downs and much, much more.
I mentioned that WAZE uses twice the data but the amount of data used is still extremely small. On a 250 mile trip WAZE used about 30 Mb and Google only used 15Mb. That's not going to dig deep into anyone's data plan.
What I post is my 2 cents and nothing more. Please don't read anything into my post that's not there. If you disagree, that's OK.
Can't we all just get along?

wa8yxm
Explorer III
Explorer III
For many years I used Microsoft S&T on my laptop with a GPS dongle. Still have it on the laptop below this laptop (I switched to Chromebooks for web work, More secure, easier to fix if they get infected, cleaner, faster and Touch Screen Oh Cheaper too)

But my last few trips I have just fired up MAPS on my 'Droid phoen and let Google tell me where to go... More or less.

You still have to use your brain, I mean one spot Google tells me "Turn left" when I want to go straight.. but my brain tells me teh road I'm on curves to teh right so continuing straight is really a left turn....legally.

THe other advantage to Google Maps.. Well this is "I suspect" rather than I can prove.

As I drive I suspect Google tracks my progress. and that of all other Google Mpas users. NOt that they are "Big Brothering" me but they are watching for traffic trends.. Cause I'll be going along at 55mPH and suddenly Lola (Robin Williams's name for the GPS in the movie RV) will say "There is a 5 mintue back up 7 miles ahead due to an accident do you wish to take an alternate route that will save you 2 minutes (Generally no I don't easier to stay on freeway).

I now of no other GPS that advanced.
Home was where I park it. but alas the.
2005 Damon Intruder 377 Alas declared a total loss
after a semi "nicked" it. Still have the radios
Kenwood TS-2000, ICOM ID-5100, ID-51A+2, ID-880 REF030C most times

Bumpyroad
Explorer
Explorer
tried again, got to the place where I could update my GPS but it would cost me. guess I bought before the lifetime update perk. don't really need / want to spend the $$$ as I primarily just want it to mark waypoints, etc.
bumpy

mr__ed
Explorer
Explorer
Bumpyroad wrote:
mr. ed wrote:

Bumpy, my Garmin updates just fine. I just tether it to my laptop and run the program. Updates take a long time to complete (a couple of hours).

I tried downloading the update as recommended and got to the point that said it would start downloading in a few minutes. 13 hours later it was on the same screen but haven't checked it to see if it has updated.
bumpy

Can't answer that one, Bumpy. Maybe contacting Garmin may help. I assume you're using the Garmin Express app on your computer. Could it be something with your internet connection? Maybe buying a new unit if all else fails. They aren't all that expensive. All I can say is I have no problems with my Garmin. I just updated 3 days ago in preparation for an upcoming trip. Like I said, it took about 2 hours to complete.
Mr. Ed (fulltiming since 1987)
Life is fragile. Handle with prayer.

2007 Hitchhiker II LS Model 29.5 LKTG (sold)
2007 Dodge Ram 3500/6.7 CTD/QC/4X4/SB/SRW/6-speed man/Big Horn edition (sold)

ChuckSteed
Explorer
Explorer
Iโ€™d kill the update download , disconnect bar in from pc, fire up express, connect garmin to pc and start upload update process again.. 13 hours nothing is happening..

Somet8mes the process gets hung and it w9nt update the unit right.. after a few minutes when you start update process you should see some time remaining prompts on the express update process and these will slowly change.

Longest itโ€™s ever taken me for an update is about two hours. And thatโ€™s on a slow DSL

Bumpyroad
Explorer
Explorer
mr. ed wrote:

Bumpy, my Garmin updates just fine. I just tether it to my laptop and run the program. Updates take a long time to complete (a couple of hours).

I tried downloading the update as recommended and got to the point that said it would start downloading in a few minutes. 13 hours later it was on the same screen but haven't checked it to see if it has updated.
bumpy

mr__ed
Explorer
Explorer
Bumpyroad wrote:
FREE LIFETIME UPDATES is the first cut. I thought that my Garmin had them when I bought it but it keeps telling me I am out of date. certainly won't spend any money as it is little more to get a new one.
bumpy

Mr. Ed (fulltiming since 1987)
Life is fragile. Handle with prayer.

2007 Hitchhiker II LS Model 29.5 LKTG (sold)
2007 Dodge Ram 3500/6.7 CTD/QC/4X4/SB/SRW/6-speed man/Big Horn edition (sold)

lryrob9301
Explorer
Explorer
Forget the GPS buy a android tablet with GPS sensor built-in. Then download the CoPilot RV app. Fully customizable to your unit, free map updates, and a lot less $$$ than a stand alone, one function GPS unit.

sgfrye
Explorer
Explorer
rrupert wrote:
swphotobug wrote:
The Garmin needs to have the letters LM or LMT associated with it for lifetime updates. We update ours once a year and have for the last 3 years with no problem.

Garmin updates its maps up to four times a year. Download Garmin Express onto your PC and connect your Garmin. You will be told if you need to update your maps and software. It will do all your needed updates. I check it every month or two.

X2
garmin express is very user friendly. check software requirements for windows users. not sure if it supports xp or vista anymore. i use my mac book

Bumpyroad
Explorer
Explorer
thanks, checking it out
bumpy

fj12ryder
Explorer II
Explorer II
Bumpyroad wrote:
fj12ryder wrote:
Bumpyroad wrote:
FREE LIFETIME UPDATES is the first cut. I thought that my Garmin had them when I bought it but it keeps telling me I am out of date. certainly won't spend any money as it is little more to get a new one.
bumpy
The GPS won't update the maps on its own, you have to download them to the GPS and to the computer if you use BaseCamp.

thanks, do you mean there is some thing in a menu on my garmin to start a download? when I boot it up it just says that maps are more than 1 year old.
bumpy
You need to have "Garmin Express" installed on your computer and running when you plug in your GPS to the computer. You may have to open Garmin Express, Select the GPS and then do the map download and installation. Not really as easy as it used to be, but not that bad. It can take a while on a slower connection as the maps are at least 1 gig or more.

Also you may not have room on your GPS for the new update, which is a hassle. Insert at least an 8 gig SD card if you have an SD card slot, before you start the process.
Howard and Peggy

"Don't Panic"

wa8yxm
Explorer III
Explorer III
I use my Android phone and Google Maps.

Since all who do that are tracked by Google the "Map" updates as you drive... If for example there is an accident oh say 10 minutes in front of you.> Lola will announce "Traffic back up of 5 minutes 10 miles ahead. alternate route available choose to use it or no thanks.

I was kind of amazed at that last week when I was doing a trip to a place I'd never been before.

Even the My-Pilot app uses the same map service to GPS you to overnight parking with Gas/Diesel/Denny's
Home was where I park it. but alas the.
2005 Damon Intruder 377 Alas declared a total loss
after a semi "nicked" it. Still have the radios
Kenwood TS-2000, ICOM ID-5100, ID-51A+2, ID-880 REF030C most times

Bumpyroad
Explorer
Explorer
fj12ryder wrote:
Bumpyroad wrote:
bumpy
The GPS won't update the maps on its own, you have to download them to the GPS and to the computer if you use BaseCamp.

thanks, do you mean there is some thing in a menu on my garmin to start a download? when I boot it up it just says that maps are more than 1 year old.
bumpy