cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Broken stabilizer - am i expecting too much?

DM6156
Explorer
Explorer
Purchased 2018 Starcraft Satellite in February and took first trip this past weekend. After returning home Sunday, one of the rear stabilizers got stuck a few inches from the ground (would not go up or down), due to weather, decided to leave it until Tuesday. On Tuesday, after attempting to raise/lower to see what was wrong, the bar that connects tool to the threaded rod snapped - Now there is no way to raise/lower it - it must be removed.

Purchasing dealer will replace stabilizer under warranty- but here is my question/concern:

(1) I tow TT with stabilizer lowered - i'm not confortable with this option.
(2) I can remove the stabilizer myself , take it to dealer and they will swap it out under warranty. I go back home and install it myself - I'm now an RV tech! (Can I submit them a bill? ๐Ÿ˜‰ )
(3) Starcraft will cover $50 or $125 service call (tech needs to call in to starcraft to get authorization to do any work - part covered, but I'm out $75 for warrrantied part.
(4) extended warranty will cover mobile tech, but only if part is covered - stabilizer is not in this case.
(5) I call roadside assistance, they tow with stabilizer down - I'm even more concerned about this option than myself towing as I've seen how some tow drivers operate!

I was expecting warranty to cover all parts and labor and for them to come to my home to do work since I can't tow unit to dealer.

Am I expecting too much?

My bigger conern is two fold:
(1) What about other 3 stabilizers?
(2) If this happened while not at home, I would not have access to tools to remove the stabilizer - and i'd be out money to fix a warrantied part and have no choice but to pay!

I am thinking in terms of auto warranties. If my new warrantied autmobile breaks down, manufacturer tows for free and covers all warrantied repairs for both parts and labor.

Dan
45 REPLIES 45

beemerphile1
Explorer
Explorer
Sounds like you have this solved but a word about that "extended warranty".

Only the manufacturer can give/sell a warranty. Any product from anyone else is simply an insurance policy with lots of loopholes protecting the company. Also keep in mind that about half of the contract premium goes into the dealers pocket so they are an extremely biased source.
Build a life you don't need a vacation from.

2016 Silverado 3500HD DRW D/A 4x4
2018 Keystone Cougar 26RBS
2006 Weekend Warrior FK1900

azrving
Explorer
Explorer
Oh ok. You have a different style or manufacturer of that junk. ๐Ÿ™‚

DM6156
Explorer
Explorer
The end is a 3/4" hex (same size socket fits the tire lugs). That piece is larger diameter than threaded rod that's inserted into it. At the end of the hex is where the threaded rod snapped. After it broke, the arm could be lowered as rod came out of mount that attaches to frame rail. Before it broke, turning the hex end did nothing to the threaded rod - it simply wasn't turning.

azrving
Explorer
Explorer
You probably didn't do anything wrong. Is the small end of your shaft hex shaped?

We installed a couple stabilizers from etrailer and one of the ends fell off right away. I had only lowered them one time and when we tried to lower the next time after travel the hex was gone.

When the large hex comes off the end of the shaft has about a half inch or so hex that the larger hex was pinned to. The pin holds the large hex on the small hex. The pin either fell out because the ends are just smeared over or because of the slop in the large hex riding on the small hex it does have enough play to put all the force on the pin and break it. It's not a shear pin otherwise they would mount the large hex on a round shaft end and when it did sheared you would know it right away because it would just spin.

If the pin breaks while using the Jack you don't really have any way of knowing it, it will then just vibrate off going down the road.

It's just more cheap junk that needs the nut welded to the shaft. Next time we back this into his driveway I'll be able to mig weld it.

Junk! Just junk after junk after junk.

DM6156
Explorer
Explorer
Huntindog wrote:
Out of curiosity.... Do you have shear pins, or were they actually a press fit?

Is there an easy way to tell? Would there be what appears to be weld spots on it? The end that broke off, still has the end of the rod inside - it's not sliding out.

As some seems to suggest, I didn't attempt to raise/level the TT with the stabilizers. Keep in mind, it broke when I was back home and lowering the stabilizer - it was a few inches (i'd estimate 2-3" from the ground) when it stopped lowering.

Huntindog
Explorer
Explorer
Out of curiosity.... Do you have shear pins, or were they actually a press fit?
Huntindog
100% boondocking
2021 Grand Design Momentum 398M
2 bathrooms, no waiting
104 gal grey, 104 black,158 fresh
FullBodyPaint, 3,8Kaxles, DiscBrakes
17.5LRH commercial tires
1860watts solar,800 AH Battleborn batterys
2020 Silverado HighCountry CC DA 4X4 DRW

DM6156
Explorer
Explorer
Dealer ordered new stabilizer, waiting on it to arrive. Three self tapping screws.

Required extension to get socket up into it to remove 3rd screw which i didn't have in my tool box, but will before next trip.

I do not need to tow trailer across town to replace it, just bring in old as pick up new.

Thanks for the input on items to add to my tool box.

drsteve
Explorer
Explorer
DM6156 wrote:
Huntindog wrote:
What happened to the stabilizer to make it inoperable?
They are pretty simple devices. It should be obvious what is wrong. You have 3 working ones to compare it to.

The most likely thing to have happened is you put too much pressure on it and over loaded it.

Being as you seem to be new at this.... That is my guess.

That would make it a non warranty repair. It is important to know this for two reasons.

1. to keep it from happening again.
2. If it was your fault, the dealer will likely deny coverage upon inspection... Meaning that all the trouble of getting the unit to him, or the part etc. was a waste of time.

Don't get offended about this. Many Many people misunderstand how to properly use stabilizers (and many other RV systems) if this is the case, then it is a small mistake, easily fixed, and you are now on a board where you can learn a lot to keep from making other mistakes.

Two fold issue
(1) end of the jack where the tool attaches (turn it, turns threaded rod which raises and lowers jack) became loose (it appears to be pressed in) so turning the end didn't turn threaded rod.
(2) threaded rod that was pressed into the end broke so the end came off completely. No way to attach tool.

Keep in mind that stabilizers are not meant to be used to level your RV, only to keep it from bouncing. You level side to side by driving the low side tires up on boards, and front to back with the tongue jack.
2006 Silverado 1500HD Crew Cab 2WD 6.0L 3.73 8600 GVWR
2018 Coachmen Catalina Legacy Edition 223RBS
1991 Palomino Filly PUP

drsteve
Explorer
Explorer
Deleted
2006 Silverado 1500HD Crew Cab 2WD 6.0L 3.73 8600 GVWR
2018 Coachmen Catalina Legacy Edition 223RBS
1991 Palomino Filly PUP

Huntindog
Explorer
Explorer
DM6156 wrote:
Huntindog wrote:
They are pretty simple devices. It should be obvious what is wrong. You have 3 working ones to compare it to.

The most likely thing to have happened is you put too much pressure on it and over loaded it.

That would make it a non warranty repair. It is important to know this for two reasons.

2. If it was your fault, the dealer will likely deny coverage upon inspection... Meaning that all the trouble of getting the unit to him, or the part etc. was a waste of time.

Don't get offended about this. Many Many people misunderstand how to properly use stabilizers (and many other RV systems) if this is the case, then it is a small mistake, easily fixed, and you are now on a board where you can learn a lot to keep from making other mistakes.

Two fold issue
(1) end of the jack where the tool attaches (turn it, turns threaded rod which raises and lowers jack) became loose (it appears to be pressed in) so turning the end didn't turn threaded rod.
(2) threaded rod that was pressed into the end broke so the end came off completely. No way to attach tool.
Take a close look at your good jacks.
The ones I have had use a pin to hold the end on the threaded rod, in this case a shear pin that is designed to shear off when overloaded.
When it breaks the pieces can fall away, so you would think they were pressed in.

Your good jacks should have them.
Huntindog
100% boondocking
2021 Grand Design Momentum 398M
2 bathrooms, no waiting
104 gal grey, 104 black,158 fresh
FullBodyPaint, 3,8Kaxles, DiscBrakes
17.5LRH commercial tires
1860watts solar,800 AH Battleborn batterys
2020 Silverado HighCountry CC DA 4X4 DRW

DM6156
Explorer
Explorer
Huntindog wrote:

Two fold issue

DM6156
Explorer
Explorer
Jebby14 wrote:
DM6156 wrote:
BarneyS wrote:
I think you will find that the warranties are generally useless most of the time. You are far better off learning to become your own RV mechanic and doing run of the mill repairs yourself. I would go with option #2. ๐Ÿ™‚
Barney

indeed, that is most viable option. Just didn't expect to be doing any repairs, let alone repairs myself, after only 2 months and 1 trip of ownership.

guessing you didn't do much homework before buying? shake down period on the garbage they sell now combined with poor dealer service is no secret

actually, this dealer is supposed one of the best in the area which is why I drove an hour there instead of 15 minutes to camping world. However, I've found out that service and parts don't talk to each other. I am waiting on call back from service department mananger on part availability.

DM6156
Explorer
Explorer
1995brave wrote:
Include in your tool kit some duck tape, WD-40, volt meter, and grease. Make sure you keep everything oiled or greased.

I do have duct tape (not white), wd-40, volt meter.. but not grease. I'll add that.

Jebby14
Explorer
Explorer
Huntindog wrote:
1995brave wrote:
Include in your tool kit some duck tape, WD-40, volt meter, and grease. Make sure you keep everything oiled or greased.
You forgot the instruction manual for your tool kit:
If it moves and shouldn't- Duct tape.
If it doesn't move and should- WD40 or grease.

Someone been reading my sig
Q: Whats brown and sticky???

A: A Stick....