cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

New tire question

batavia02
Explorer
Explorer
Question our 2016 ram 2500 c t d longbed is coming up on new tires at 25 k miles . original o e m are firestone transforce ride is great wear isn’t I know o em tires don’t last as long as they should but what are some of the replacement tires everyone has been putting on regardless of t v brand?
16 REPLIES 16

Vintage465
Explorer III
Explorer III
I got 62,000 miles from the factory Goodyears on my 2013 Duramax 2500HD. I went with Michelin Tires like I've done in the past. I will say that it's made difference in how hard it hits chuck holes and the ride is quieter.
V-465
2013 GMC 2500HD Duramax Denali. 2015 CreekSide 20fq w/450 watts solar and 465 amp/hour of batteries. Retired and living the dream!

cummins2014
Explorer
Explorer
IdaD wrote:
I tend to favor Toyo and Cooper. I've never had Nitto tires but they're made by Toyo so I would tend to think they're good tires too. I have not had good experiences with Goodyear, Michelin or Firestone.

I agree, I have never had a good experience with either Michelin or Firestone.

I will see how these Toyo AT2 treat me, may try Cooper next, hear good things about them .

gafidler
Explorer
Explorer
Coopers

wanderingbob
Explorer II
Explorer II
Lots of variations in tires and drivers . My transforce tires went past 50,000 miles and still had tread when I bought my Michelin's.

IdaD
Explorer
Explorer
I tend to favor Toyo and Cooper. I've never had Nitto tires but they're made by Toyo so I would tend to think they're good tires too. I have not had good experiences with Goodyear, Michelin or Firestone.
2015 Cummins Ram 4wd CC/SB

Hemi_Power
Explorer
Explorer
I have an 08 2500 Mega Cab that came with the original BF Goodrich Rugged TA's. Got about 60k out of them, good tire but wanted something a little less noisy on the highway since I tow the fifth wheel a lot. I went with the Nitto Dura Grappler high way tire. Still have them on the truck with about 40k on them. Quiet and smooth. Now I do live in Canada, the first winter traction was OK, but each winter since the traction has decreased, but fine for the summer. So, buy a tire for its intended purpose
2006 Puma 249 Fifth Wheel
2008 Dodge 1500 HEMI Mega Cab
Reese 16K Signature Series Slider Hitch

the_bear_II
Explorer
Explorer
Michelins or Goodyears would be my choice.

Cummins12V98
Explorer III
Explorer III
ScottG wrote:
The Michelins are very good except their traction in the wet is the worst.
I could just let my clutch out and they would spin.

I assume they were NOT the MS2's/Defenders?
2015 RAM LongHorn 3500 Dually CrewCab 4X4 CUMMINS/AISIN RearAir 385HP/865TQ 4:10's
37,800# GCVWR "Towing Beast"

"HeavyWeight" B&W RVK3600

2016 MobileSuites 39TKSB3 highly "Elited" In the stable

2007.5 Mobile Suites 36 SB3 29,000# Combined SOLD

ScottG
Nomad
Nomad
The Michelins are very good except their traction in the wet is the worst.
I could just let my clutch out and they would spin.

jmtandem
Explorer II
Explorer II
I have had very good luck with Toyos.
'05 Dodge Cummins 4x4 dually 3500 white quadcab auto long bed.

brulaz
Explorer
Explorer
Lot of variety in tires out there.

Highway tires will generally by quieter, last longer and give better mileage on the highway. But some can be useless on wet grass or worse.

There's some all-terrain tires that work well on the highway. Some even have a tread wear warranty. And some have the mountain-snowflake symbol, so are pretty good in the winter.

I just recently bought a set of Goodyear Wrangler Duratracs; haven't got them on the truck yet. They're considered a "commercial" AT tire for some reason. Are supposed to be rugged off road and long lasting, but no tread wear warranty on the LTs.

They have the mountain-snowflake but a couple of years on pavement might just wear thru the sipes. And I expect them to be pretty noisy, but we're planning to spend a lot of time on gravel roads in the Yukon and NWT this summer, and the sale price was lower than most everything else at CanTire, so we'll see ...
2014 ORV Timber Ridge 240RKS,8500#,1250# tongue,44K miles
690W Rooftop + 340W Portable Solar,4 GC2s,215Ah@24V
2016 Ram 2500 4x4 RgCab CTD,2507# payload,10.8 mpgUS tow

Atlee
Explorer
Explorer
The OEM BF Goodrich LT245/75R17 LRE Rugged Trail TA's have served me well so far.

52K miles and still have a lot of good tread left. The tires have been mostly rotated every 5k oil change. There have been some oil changes that I skipped rotating them.
Erroll, Mary
2021 Coachmen Freedom Express 20SE
2014 F150 Supercab 4x4 w/ 8' box, Ecoboost & HD Pkg
Equal-i-zer Hitch

blt2ski
Round ones!
Anything but michiblows! I like Cooper and Toyo personally......some like michiblows.......I'll put the XDE M+S on the rear of my dumptruck.....those have be ok, not sure what the new version is.... that is another day and worry!
I'm running a Discount tire right now on my C2500. 60K warranty, $125 plus balance etc for a 245-75-16. An SUV mild AT tire. Dry and rain wetted roads are fine. Not great in snow ice etc. Do the job! Carry loads well too. Should have not issues getting 60K out of them.
Also get ones that have proper traction for YOUR usage, not mine!

Marty
92 Navistar dump truck, 7.3L 7 sp, 4.33 gears with a Detroit no spin
2014 Chevy 1500 Dual cab 4x4
92 Red-e-haul 12K equipment trailer

mtofell1
Explorer
Explorer
Depends on your usage and terrain. For mainly highway I agree the Michelins are hard to beat. I ran several sets on previous trucks and was super happy. I've since switched to a 4 season snow flake rated tire from Les Schwab. I've been very impressed with the ride, noise and performance but the mileage isn't great. They are rated for 50K and I'm at 40K now. I'll be lucky to get another 5K but I suppose that isn't so bad.

I just like having the snow flake rating since in my area winter weather can hit quickly and we have some nearby mountain passes that I sometimes have to go over with little warning. Basically, I'm happy to pay for the convenience of not screwing with swapping out tires each season. Otherwise, it would be Michelins for sure.