cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Boon docking/Dry camping in N.E. Texas

tim1970
Explorer
Explorer
Looking for ideas where I can dry camp/boondock with my 32 ft fifth wheel. It seems like any state park sites without hookups are only large enough for a tent. My wife ok'd the purchase of a generator, so I would like some places to try it out. We definiely will be using it for some NASCAR races, and at a friend's deer lease, but I was thinking that there has got to be some places where we could go, especially during the holidays, when all the popular places fill up.
2017 Jayco 29.5 BHDS
6 REPLIES 6

doxiemom11
Explorer II
Explorer II
We use the freecampsites.net the most.

PawPaw_n_Gram
Explorer
Explorer
The Caddo / LBJ National Grasslands has 3 dry campgrounds north of US-82 between Paris and Bonham along Hwy 409 - one on LakeCrockett, one on Coffee Mill Lake and an equestrian CG just a couple miles west.

I understand there are some areas of the grasslands unit near Decatur where dispersed camping is allowed when it is not hunting season.

The Stubblefield Recreation Area is a dry campground in the Sam Houston NF off I-45 north of Houston. It is on a extended upper section of Lake Conroe. Take 1375 west from New Waverly across the upper arm of the lake to Hwy 204 then north to Hwy 215.
Full-Time 2014 - ????

โ€œNot all who wander are lost.โ€
"You were supposed to turn back at the last street."

2012 Ram 2500 Mega Cab
2014 Flagstaff 832IKBS TT

2gypsies1
Explorer
Explorer
Find out what the name of the national forest is where you want to go and use this awesome site to find campgrounds within that national forest. We used this site all the time. They have visited every site themselves and give good directions, also.

https://www.forestcamping.com/dow/list/nflist.htm#texas
Full-Timed for 16 Years
.... Back in S&B Again
Traveled 8 yr in a 40' 2004 Newmar Dutch Star Motorhome
& 8 yr in a 33' Travel Supreme 5th Wheel

kerrlakeRoo
Explorer
Explorer
National forest and other lands under the control of the BLM should be in the areas north between Dallas and Ok. I know there are some COE lakes and CG's.
You can also check rv parky, campendium, and some of the other websites, it appears several towns have campgrounds also in the area.

Lwiddis
Explorer
Explorer
My wife okโ€™d a second adult beverage after reading your post.
Winnebago 2101DS TT & 2022 Chevy Silverado 1500 LTZ Z71, WindyNation 300 watt solar-Lossigy 200 AH Lithium battery. Prefer boondocking, USFS, COE, BLM, NPS, TVA, state camps. Bicyclist. 14 yr. Army -11B40 then 11A - (MOS 1542 & 1560) IOBC & IOAC grad

pianotuna
Nomad II
Nomad II
Hi,

This may help:

https://freecampsites.net/#!Texas&query=region

tim1970 wrote:
Looking for ideas where I can dry camp/boondock with my 32 ft fifth wheel. It seems like any state park sites without hookups are only large enough for a tent. My wife ok'd the purchase of a generator, so I would like some places to try it out. We definiely will be using it for some NASCAR races, and at a friend's deer lease, but I was thinking that there has got to be some places where we could go, especially during the holidays, when all the popular places fill up.
Regards, Don
My ride is a 28 foot Class C, 256 watts solar, 556 amp-hours of Telcom jars, 3000 watt Magnum hybrid inverter, Sola Basic Autoformer, Microair Easy Start.