cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

newbie to sprinter/mercedes, lots of question! help please

landyachter
Explorer
Explorer
Working my way down and love sprinter C class. Bought a 2015 Forester with 15k miles. Never owned a Mercedes and would like to know what to watch out for? I've seen some comments about their pollution problems a while back.
Anybody ever install performance chip in there RV? I could use a little more power to tow small boat.
Any advice will very much appreciated!
18 REPLIES 18

DrewE
Explorer
Explorer
Cider wrote:
DrewE wrote:
Any motorhome is going to require a good bit of maintenance, not just to the chassis (that's probably the least maintenance intensive part) but to keeping up with caulking, cleaning, odd minor repairs, battery maintenance, and a host of other little things. Some are better than others, but all require more or less attention.

Personally, I think this guy has done more to scare people away from the BluTec engine than anyone else and I think his article is (mostly) his viewpoint. Mercedes is real picky about what fluids to use and as long as you use the current oil spec (229.52, in my case) and the Mann filters, there should be no real issues. And follow he prescribed maintenance schedules. I got about halfway through the article and stopped reading it. It is a good and proven engine, so enjoy it and what it will do for you. I am very happy with my MBS unit.

I suspect the wrong post was quoted; I don't believe I've attempted to scare anyone away from the BluTec engine, and I am quite sure I have not written any articles about them. While I personally would probably not opt for the Sprinter, all other things being equal, I've generally heard decent things about them--as with anything, there are advantages and disadvantages, strengths and weaknesses.

Presumably this was in reference to "...this guy in sacramento by name of Stephens..." mentioned in the post previous to mine. (It's not at all hard to hit the wrong quote button, for the following post, if one isn't paying extra close attention.)

j-d
Explorer
Explorer
OP, I can't offer anything about Sprinter, and I see you've had an RV before.

Still, it can help some to "set up camp" at home or very close to home before hitting the road the first time. Can really help ID things you forgot. Like "I packed Beanie Weenies, where's the Can Opener?"

Based on owner comments, the Forest River Sunseeker/Forester represents a decent choice in a Class C. Go enjoy!
If God's Your Co-Pilot Move Over, jd
2003 Jayco Escapade 31A on 2002 Ford E450 V10 4R100 218" WB

Cider
Explorer
Explorer
DrewE wrote:
Any motorhome is going to require a good bit of maintenance, not just to the chassis (that's probably the least maintenance intensive part) but to keeping up with caulking, cleaning, odd minor repairs, battery maintenance, and a host of other little things. Some are better than others, but all require more or less attention.

The V10 is a good, reliable, capable engine, but does rev high to produce its power and does consume a fair bit of fuel. Offhand, the other alternatives I can think of for small class C's are based on the equivalent Chevy van chassis (with the GM V8), a Ford Transit chassis, or--for very small units--a Ram ProMaster. The Promaster has limited carrying capacity in comparison to the other alternatives, so pay close attention to weight limits when looking at any of them; some are pretty close to being fully loaded with no water and no belongings and no passengers.

Personally, I think this guy has done more to scare people away from the BluTec engine than anyone else and I think his article is (mostly) his viewpoint. Mercedes is real picky about what fluids to use and as long as you use the current oil spec (229.52, in my case) and the Mann filters, there should be no real issues. And follow he prescribed maintenance schedules. I got about halfway through the article and stopped reading it. It is a good and proven engine, so enjoy it and what it will do for you. I am very happy with my MBS unit.
2017 Tiffin Allegro RED 33 AA
2020 JLUR
Roadmaster Baseplate
Sterling AT Tow Bar
Demco Air Force One Brake System

landyachter
Explorer
Explorer
so I talked to green engineering and they don't do anything for the new v6 diesel, said it would cost way to much. So much for that thought. Actually its fast enough in stock condition and will leave it alone.
Going to order the ez oil change equipment and change oil myself every 3 k miles and carry a set of speed sensors, or least the right rear with me wherever I go.
I live in Houston and travel mostly in deep south so I'm thinking straight approved 40 weight as it seems to hold viscosity better.
Is there a good Mercedes parts house to order mercedes parts from?
Going to take short initial trip for this weekend and towing small boat and start enjoying this beautiful coach.
Appreciate all info. I quit diesel A class because of to much maintenance and have been enjoying 5th wheel but I want to explore more and not be hindered by gigantic coaches, I just hope this doesn't get into nightmare. chuck

DRTDEVL
Explorer
Explorer
Lucky to go over 20 mph in limp mode?

Nope.

Mine will go 64-66 mph in limp mode, but its a 2004 OM647 2.7L I-5. It just takes a while to get up to speed, that's all.
Resurrecting an inherited 1980 Minnie Winnie 20RG from the dead after sitting since 1998..

road-runner
Explorer III
Explorer III
A few comments on the Green Diesel Engineering software mentioned earlier. From their web site, it looks like they don't support newer than chassis year 2008. For those models than can use it, it gives a nice bump in performance and a small MPG increase. The newer sprinter engines that use the def fluid have increased power from the factory, possibly just as much as GDE provides with the non-def models. What's more important IMO is that the GDE software enhances reliability by disabling use of the EGR system and swirl valves. Failure of either triggers limp mode, which is not only annoying but potentially unsafe because you're lucky to go over 20 mph with it. The price of repairing the swirl valves is a few thousand $. As already stated, the sprinter is great unless it's broken. When that happens it can be an expensive nightmare. I've been lucky so far.
2009 Fleetwood Icon

DrewE
Explorer
Explorer

The V10 is a good, reliable, capable engine, but does rev high to produce its power and does consume a fair bit of fuel. Offhand, the other alternatives I can think of for small class C's are based on the equivalent Chevy van chassis (with the GM V8), a Ford Transit chassis, or--for very small units--a Ram ProMaster. The Promaster has limited carrying capacity in comparison to the other alternatives, so pay close attention to weight limits when looking at any of them; some are pretty close to being fully loaded with no water and no belongings and no passengers.

landyachter
Explorer
Explorer
thanks charlesinatlanta, great info and gives some hope on this beautiful RV.
Has anybody seen this guy in sacramento by name of Stephens or read any of his stories? I have and don't know what to make of this guy. Is he a nut job or looking for the $ only? Sounds like a very knowledgable experienced Mercedes blue tech mechanic but scares the **** out of me and makes me want to sell my sprinter now!
After reading his story it seems like way more maintainence than I signed on for.
This is just one more toy for this old guy and have a large boat that requires LOTS of maintainence and don't have time for another maintainence responsibility. However I tried a gas V10 and don't like that and still want a small c class. This is only diesel in small rv.
So please gentlemen any opinions are appreciated.

landyachter
Explorer
Explorer
thanks for ALL info, I think ive read enough to scare the **** outta me! I'll give it a go and see how they work. Thanks for info about sprinter forum, I'll be checking that out. No chip for me until I see what this rig does. I'm picking up rig from Indoor RV center north of dallas today and start my experience.
Not sure what all I expect to be better than USA C class other than slightly smaller, quieter! And better MPG. Ive bought a new 5th wheel from indoor Rv 3 years ago, BEST rv compnay to deal with by far from what I can tell. I tried to buy local (houston) but nobody compares to INDOOR RV.

luvlabs
Explorer
Explorer
azdryheat wrote:
Don't let your engine battery get low as those Mercedes diesels take a lot of juice to start. Many of them don't have the emergency start switch that other motorhomes have to join the house battery to the chassis battery for starting.

Wrong on all points. The engine starts instantly - as long as you allow the wait to start light to go out. All of the ones I've seen have a switch to allow the house batteries to provide starting voltage.

To the OP,

Most new Sprinter chassis are rated to tow 4200 lbs +/-. A small boat, as long as the tongue weight is less than 500 lbs, is no problem. These things will do anything you ask of them to do without extra horsepower as long as you respect the chassis weight limits.
2017 Winnebago Navion 24V
2014 Tiffin Phaeton 36GH (sold)
2012 Tiffin Allegro 32CA (traded)
2012 Honda Fit

CharlesinGA
Explorer
Explorer
landyachter wrote:
well it feels a real driving machine and I always improve on my other vehicles and love to enhance that. Ive got a chip in 6.7 diesel ford and have one in newer Z06 corvette, (just out of warrantee) BUt yes, I'll give a few trips before I do it. thanks.

Sounds like you should have bought a travel trailer or a truck camper to go with your Ford Diesel, I'll bet you would be happier.

Charles
'03 Ram 2500 CTD, 5.9HO six speed, PacBrake Exh Brake, std cab, long bed, Leer top and 2008 Bigfoot 25B21RB.. previously (both gone) 2008 Thor/Dutchman Freedom Spirit 180 & 2007 Winnebago View 23H Motorhome.

CharlesinGA
Explorer
Explorer
You don't "chip" a Sprinter. One company, Green Diesel Engineering, has engineered new software for the Sprinter's computer and a method for you to load it in the computer, and retain the original software. It adds some performance, but not a whole lot, more reliability than anything (no personal experience, but from what I have read on the Sprinter forum, and the View/navion forum.

Remember, you bought a motorhome with an engine half the size of one in other Class C's and carrying essentially the same weight, you cannot expect it to do more than what it does, get you efficiently from point A to B in comfort and reliability.

Mercedes is extremely picky about fluids and lubricants and for the sake of the exhaust filter system you need to stick with the oil specs in particular. You will not find the oil you need at Wal-Mart or many auto parts places. NAPA carries the proper spec Mobil I and Valvoline oils and many times has it on sale.

This Bevo page here lists all current MB specifications. Use your owners manual to find the proper specs and click on the spec number on this page and it will link to the list of approved lubricants and fluids for that spec..

http://bevo.mercedes-benz.com/bevolistenmain.php?language_id=1

Sheet 223.2 lists all engine oil specs for various motors. In your case you have a diesel engine - worldwide - w/particulate filter - van engines - OM642 (you find the engine model on the sticker on the valve cover) and this is the next to the bottom line on the first page of this PDF.........

http://bevo.mercedes-benz.com/downloadf.php?filename=en/Spec_223_2.pdf

Follow across the page and you find your approved oils are 228.51/229.31/229.51/229.52

The 229.52 spec is more for fuel savings (as opposed to the 229.51 spec) and thus does not approve any 40 wt oil for this engine.

Go back to the first link I posted and click on the 229.51 link and it will give you this page.........

http://bevo.mercedes-benz.com/bevolistenmain.php?navigation_path=bevolisten&blatt=229.51&content_act... and it will give you a list of oils world wide that are approved to this spec, with footnotes you need to pay attention to.

Easiest oils to find in the US for your engine are the Mobil 1 ESP 0W-40, and the Mobil 1 ESP Formula M 5W-40 and the Valvoline MST 5-40 oils.

Using non approved oils will cause you grief as they will clog the exhaust filter.

Transmission fluid, only a couple are readily available in the US, the OEM MB fluid, Fuchs 4134, and Shell ATF 134. The Shell is stocked by many Distributors and using the Shell Distributor locator and calling them will find what you are looking for.

The oil filter cap is plastic, get the proper socket (the aluminum ones work better than the stamped one, and use a torque wrench to reinstall them, 25 nm/220 lb-in/ 18.4 lb-ft of torque as they are easily damaged if over torqued.

Buy you a Fumoto oil drain valve, either a F106 or a F106N (has a nipple for a hose) and your oil changes will be fast and easy and no mess.

http://www.fumotousa.com/results.php?make=57&year=2014&model=28072&makeid=MERCEDES-BENZ&modelid=SPRI...

Wheel speed sensors in the 2014/2015 vintage CHASSIS (chassis is usually one year older than the coach) are prone to failure and are covered under the EMMISSIONS warranty which is, if I recall 5yr/50K mi. failure of a wheel speed sensor, esp a right rear, will cause the vehicle to go into limp mode as this provides output speed sensing for the transmission and without this speed sensing the transmission cannot determine what gear it is in.

The Sprinter is quite reliable until it breaks, then it is a real devil to fix if you don't understand it. I highly suggest you join the Sprinter Forum and if there is a forum for Sprinter/Forester, join it too.

Charles
'03 Ram 2500 CTD, 5.9HO six speed, PacBrake Exh Brake, std cab, long bed, Leer top and 2008 Bigfoot 25B21RB.. previously (both gone) 2008 Thor/Dutchman Freedom Spirit 180 & 2007 Winnebago View 23H Motorhome.

Gonzo42
Explorer
Explorer
The Sprinter Forum

Good place for advice.

I got my approved oil, oil filter wrench, oil filter on Amazon for far less than local retail.

List of Specifications
MOTHER SHIP Winnebago View 24H (2007 Dodge Sprinter 3500 Chassis, 2008 Body)3.0 L M-B Diesel V6 bought used with 24K miles. Toad: ROCKY the Flying Squirrel.

klutchdust
Explorer II
Explorer II
I have a diesel pickup and never found a need to chip and I pulled a 32ft. trailer loaded with gear and my Jeep. IMHO, a chip adds stress to an engine and transmission. As far as any warranty, my guess is you will be on your own.