cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

New member & DIY truck camper-NEEDS HELP W/ WEATHERPROOFING

DonovanR
Explorer
Explorer
Hi everyone! I'm a brand new member, and am looking for some help from some people more experienced than myself.

For the past couple months I've been building a truck camper for my little Nissan Frontier, and for the past couple months I've been torn on how I should waterproof it.

I know this topic has been talked about many times, but I have yet to find out the information about my specific need.

---MY QUESTION---- what type of waterproof coating will adhere to my plywood, screws, and seal around my already installed rubber roof rack mount

The exterior sheathing of my camper is 1/2" & is fastened yellow zinc plated constructions screws.
My roof rack has been bolted through the sheathing, and has a rubber gasket sealed with silicone.

I'm just interested in finding a product that can seal around these materials

Ideas
- epoxy coating
- Truck Bedliner
-poor mans fibreglass (cloth and titebond combination)
- fibreglass

Sorry for the long post, but hoping you guys will be able to point me in the right direction
5 REPLIES 5

DonovanR
Explorer
Explorer
Thanks so much for all the helpful information everyone!

I'll be making sure to post some photos when everything is done!

free_radical
Explorer
Explorer
DonovanR wrote:
Hi everyone! I'm a brand new member, and am looking for some help from some people more experienced than myself.

For the past couple months I've been building a truck camper for my little Nissan Frontier, and for the past couple months I've been torn on how I should waterproof it.

I know this topic has been talked about many times, but I have yet to find out the information about my specific need.

---MY QUESTION---- what type of waterproof coating will adhere to my plywood, screws, and seal around my already installed rubber roof rack mount

The exterior sheathing of my camper is 1/2" & is fastened yellow zinc plated constructions screws.
My roof rack has been bolted through the sheathing, and has a rubber gasket sealed with silicone.

I'm just interested in finding a product that can seal around these materials

Ideas
- epoxy coating
- Truck Bedliner
-poor mans fibreglass (cloth and titebond combination)
- fibreglass

Sorry for the long post, but hoping you guys will be able to point me in the right direction

I have same constructed TC with plywood,,used three layers of Cold Cure epoxy,,
West epoxy would work also check the prices whichever is cheaper..

Both need to be topcoated to protect against sunlight,uv rays,
,I used high gloss white marine enamel

Bedliner coating maybe good idea,,dont know how long it would last and if it would stay stuck on plywood..

Theres also some ruberized roof coating people use in roofing industry,dont know the name,,do a search

The_ugly_duckli
Explorer
Explorer
Dicor 501LSW-1 Self-Leveling Lap Sealant applied around and over all the roof penetrations. Routinely used to seal camper roofs. Eternabond used appropriately will help. Lot's of YouTube videos available.

wanderingbob
Explorer II
Explorer II
I did the same build and put 4 coats of latex paint . It is 4 years old and ain't leaked yet !

Artum_Snowbird
Explorer
Explorer
Have a look at this post from a few days ago. Hengs

Read the entire thread as see what you think. Sure sounds amazing.
Mike
2012 Winnebago Impulse Silver 26QP
2005 16.6 Double Eagle
2018 Jeep Wrangler JK
previously Snowbird Campers,
Triple E Motorhome and Fifth Wheel