cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Recoating rubber roof

WalterSchwartz
Explorer
Explorer
I recently purchased a used motorhome. A 1999 Phoenix Flyer. Wanting to keep up with any maintenance, I was looking into recoating the roof. It's not leaking, but I don't want to wait until it does before I do anything about it. I have never owned a motorhome before. I was calling around to RV dealers and repair, but they say they do not do that. I see all over the Internet (the bible of everything ) about putting this liquid rubber coating over your RV roof. Just like when your caulk wears out, you recaulk things. Is this rubberized coating worthless, or will it prolong the life of your roof?
8 REPLIES 8

flownaksala
Explorer
Explorer
I would not recoat it but I would invest in some Eternabond tape ( 5 to 6 inches wide min) to go over the seams and fix any areas you are concerned about. The roofs usually leak at the seams and around vents, ac etc. The tape is a permanent repair and literally lasts forever. After cleaning the area you apply the Eternabond tape and you're done and never have to worry about it again. To keep up with all the maintenance on an RV I would highly recommend that you get Automotive Wolf car maintenance software for your computer. This program will manage all your vehicle maintenance on all your vehicles. I even use it for my boat and RV generator. It also keeps a great vehicle maintenance log so you know whats been done and when.

suprz
Explorer
Explorer
I got www.superiorrvroof.com. for my RV last year. I have a TPO roof. Im just waiting for the weather to stop raining and warm up to apply it. What sold me on it was that it can be applied and if it rains on it within a few hours it is fine and it is OK with standing water or pooling water if you have that on your roof, and you can do a second coat anytime within 2 weeks of the first. I called Hengs, and was told that it was not compatable with TPO roofs, and Dicor said their product was not to be used if the roof has ponding water areas
Proud father of a US Marine

rvsatek
Explorer
Explorer
I have coated hundreds of roofs professionally. I use a product from Ry and Marine Technologies. Roof Magic. I lasts 10+ year (I have some roofs I did 17 years ago that are still good). Expensive, $50 gal stuff garbage.
Larry
1994 Ford F250/7.5L/410 gears
2001 Keystone Sprinter 276RLS 14' slide

wallaceb
Explorer
Explorer
I own a 2008 Hitchhiker II 28 Ft 5th.... I re-coated the roof fall 2017 with 4 gallons of liquid rubber (buy from Amazon). The roof had no signs of problems before I started BUT I like to be proactive. Followed the recommendations available on You Tube for prep and install. I am VERY pleased with the results and would certainly consider it if I owned your unit. The process is a little messy (wear old clothes - gloves) but basically easy. I chose a cool dry couple of days and certainly wouldn't do the job in mid-summer.

NMDriver2
Explorer
Explorer
Hengs Rubber roof coating in Amazon for $55/gal. Good for Fiberglass, TPO and EPDM coating. No primer needed. 2 gallons should cover a 30ft roof with two coats.
Turret Class traveler

ScottG
Nomad
Nomad
I would not put anything on it unless the black is showing through.
If it's cracking or otherwise disintegrating, it's time to replace it.

lawrosa
Explorer
Explorer
WalterSchwartz wrote:
I recently purchased a used motorhome. A 1999 Phoenix Flyer. Wanting to keep up with any maintenance, I was looking into recoating the roof. It's not leaking, but I don't want to wait until it does before I do anything about it. I have never owned a motorhome before. I was calling around to RV dealers and repair, but they say they do not do that. I see all over the Internet (the bible of everything ) about putting this liquid rubber coating over your RV roof. Just like when your caulk wears out, you recaulk things. Is this rubberized coating worthless, or will it prolong the life of your roof?

Depends on what the condition of the roof is. My 2003 had edge cracking and a previous leaking area. I used liquid roof as preventive and did all roof penetrations. No more caulking afterward.

Great product " Liquid roof"...

http://www.liquid-roof.com/liquidroof.php
Mike L ... N.J.

2006 Silverado ext cab long bed. 3:42 rear. LM7 5.3 motor. 300 hp 350 ft lbs torgue @ 4000 rpms
2018 coachmen Catalina sbx 261bh

classic_31
Explorer
Explorer
My cougar says it only need cleaning.it don't mention putting any other coating on it
It is a 2016 keystone.