cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Battery question in conversion camper

Jethrodean
Explorer
Explorer
Hey guys new to the site. Ive got a enclosed trailer and im turning it into a camper. My question is can i have the batteries in the camper. Ive built a small closet for my fuse box my converter and a spot for my batteries. I was gonna cut a hole on side of the trailer to vent the batteries. And cut another hole at the top with a small fan to push the hydrogen out while im charging the batteries. So hole on the bottom with a vent cap and a hole a few feet above with a fan and a vent cap to circulate the air. I was wondering if this would work. Thanks guys.
29 REPLIES 29

JohnyWalter
Explorer
Explorer
Yep,JaneSiver.
It is.Thanks!

JaneSiver
Explorer
Explorer
Jethrodean wrote:
Haha not to worried about dust. I built a fold up bed in it so we can put are 2 four wheelers in it. Have a closet i built for are stuff and another for my electrical stuff and the foam insulation on the roof and walls.Other than that its empty haha.

Yes,i was doing same with my fold up bed,very comfortably.
Among other good advice for others. Thanks
Regards JS

trail-explorer
Explorer
Explorer
Vent fan, bad idea... unless it's "explosion proof certified"

Just get AGM batteries and call it good.
Bob

Community Alumni
Not applicable
wanderingbob wrote:
I wonder , are the gasses heavier or lighter than air ?

Flooded lead acid batteries release hydrogen during charging and hydrogen is lighter than air. There's only a small amount of hydrogen released, but hydrogen is highly flammable in concentrations as low as 4%. This is why it's important to have some form of ventilation when the battery is contained in an enclosure.

Jethrodean
Explorer
Explorer
You guys are awesome. I appreciate all yalls help.

SoundGuy
Explorer
Explorer
Jethrodean wrote:
Got another dumb question if a battery has 210ah if you add another does that double it or keep it at 210ah?

Depends on whether you're talking two 6 volt batteries wired in series or two 12 volt batteries wired in parallel. With two 6 volts the amp rating remains the same while the voltage doubles, with two 12 volts the amp rating doubles while the voltage remains the same.
2012 Silverado 1500 Crew Cab
2014 Coachmen Freedom Express 192RBS
2003 Fleetwood Yuma * 2008 K-Z Spree 240BH-LX
2007 TrailCruiser C21RBH * 2000 Fleetwood Santa Fe
1998 Jayco 10UD * 1969 Coleman CT380

Jethrodean
Explorer
Explorer
Got another dumb question if a battery has 210ah if you add another does that double it or keep it at 210ah?

SoundGuy
Explorer
Explorer
Jethrodean wrote:
Does the Progressive Dynamics PD9200 have the 3 stage smart charge in it or whatever thats called.

Ummmm, yeah 😄 ... check out your options at Best Converter, if you still have questions ask Randy. 😉

Jethrodean
Explorer
Explorer
The furnace i want is a suburban 30000 btu rv furnace. It says it draws 7 amps. And the led rv lights i got draw .6 amps at 12.8 volts. I got 3 of those. How long would 2 6 volt batteries last if they were wired to make 12 volts. A possible guess?

Jethrodean
Explorer
Explorer
Does the Progressive Dynamics PD9200 have the 3 stage smart charge in it or whatever thats called.

Jethrodean
Explorer
Explorer
Haha not to worried about dust. I built a fold up bed in it so we can put are 2 four wheelers in it. Have a closet i built for are stuff and another for my electrical stuff and the foam insulation on the roof and walls.Other than that its empty haha.

CavemanCharlie
Explorer II
Explorer II
Be aware that the vents will leak dust into the RV whenever you are going down a dirty road. Like a gravel road. If your compartment is tight enough that won't be a problem but, I thought I would mention it.

siamese
Explorer
Explorer
For what it's worth, if you buy a sailboat, you're probably going to have at least a couple of lead acid batteries in the cabin with you with no ventilation to the outside.

SoundGuy
Explorer
Explorer
Jethrodean wrote:
I would like to get agm batteries but the wife wont let me spend $450 on batteries.

You'll save yourself a lot of grief with AGMs.