cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Slightly used, but still running

RoyF
Explorer
Explorer
I met this guy last weekend. Hey, it's still running, so who could ask for anything more?

30 REPLIES 30

tropical36
Explorer
Explorer
ArchHoagland wrote:
Don't judge a book by it's cover.

In a campground near Bryce Canyon NP, some years back and there sits this fine looking Prevost. I'm wondering who the owner might be and while out for a bike ride, I stopped for a chat with these three Gentleman. One had on Bib Overalls, a plaid shirt and a straw hat. Yep, you guessed it. Just sayin...but I've never been one to judge. In fact I'm suspect of too much and too flashy, sometimes.
"We are often so caught up in our destination that we forget to appreciate the journey."

07 Revolution LE 40E_Spartan MM_06 400HP C9 CAT_Allison 3000.

Dinghy_2010 Jeep Wrangler JKU ISLANDER.

1998 36ft. National Tropi-Cal Chevy Model 6350 (Sold)

ArchHoagland
Explorer
Explorer
Don't judge a book by it's cover.
2004 Monaco La Palma 36DBD
Workhorse W22 8.1 Gas Allison 1000, 7.1 mpg

2000 LEXUS RX300 FWD 22MPG 4020 LBS
US Gear Brakes

wvabeer
Explorer
Explorer
I think it's cool. I read some of your are very critical of this, I hope I don't get to camp near you. I hate people who look down on others.
That motor home would be the first one I stop to visit , just to check out all the coolness of it. Just from the looks it's a usable project. I love unusual rides.
1999 Dutch Star DP3884
2015 Camplite 6.8C
2012 Cherokee 39L destination
2022 F350 XL 4x4
07 FLHRS

4x4van
Explorer
Explorer
gbopp wrote:

Yes, I keep my rig clean, waxed and maintained. The Travco in the picture looks junky and dirty.
I don't understand your point?

While it may look dirty, I see nothing about it that looks "junky", just old and weathered.

And the campsite itself is clean and organized. Perhaps the owner bought it looking that way, and has grand plans in the future for it (waxing at this point would be kinda pointless). Or perhaps he bought it brand new, and has gotten decades of well deserved use out of it, and continues to do so. Or maybe he bought it in that condition, and has no plans other than to use and enjoy it. In no case is it any skin off my (or other's) nose.
Amazing that so many RVers look down on other RVers that don't meet their standards.

While I drive a '08 Hummer H3 Alpha that is showroom condition, I also drive a '95 Tercel that has been around long enough that the paint on the roof, hood, and trunk has worn off down to the gray primer. Guess what? It still runs fine (350,000+ mi), the heat and A/C work great, and I get 35+ mpg with it. It costs very little to maintain, insure/register, and operate. Am I ashamed of it? Certainly not, on the contrary, I am proud of it, regardless of how some people might look at it simply because of the paint.

I'm old and weathered too, and certainly don't look quite as good as I did in younger years; but no amount of cleaning and wax will change that, and I would hope that no one would have a problem camping near me because of that! ๐Ÿ™‚
We don't stop playing because we grow old...We grow old because we stop playing!

2004 Itasca Sunrise M-30W
Carson enclosed ATV Trailer
-'85 ATC250R, '12 Husky TE310, '20 CanAm X3 X rs Turbo RR
Zieman Jetski Trailer
-'96 GTi, '96 Waveblaster II

gbopp
Explorer
Explorer
mike brez wrote:
gbopp wrote:
And people wonder why some RV campgrounds have a 10 year rule.

Said the man with a.....
"1996 Southwind 37', 454, tag axle". ROTFLMAO

Yes, I keep my rig clean, waxed and maintained. The Travco in the picture looks junky and dirty.
I don't understand your point?

mike_brez
Explorer
Explorer
gbopp wrote:

Said the man with a.....
"1996 Southwind 37', 454, tag axle". ROTFLMAO
1998 36 foot Country Coach Magna #5499 Single slide
Gillig chassis with a series 40
02 Ford F250 7.3 with a few mods
2015 Wrangler JKU

crasster
Explorer II
Explorer II
See it's just a matter of your mindset. You, he, and/or she may care what an RV looks like... But some people could care less. Does it drive? Yep. Does it get out there? Yep. In life I've met people with net worth of 10+ million that shop at thrift stores and drive 20 year old cars. Some of them simply do not care what anybody thinks of them and only are concerned about function.

One must ask. Two coaches side by side. This one, and a 2018. Both have the same views, both function. Outside it's all the same. But one is paid for, the other 100k in debt. Some may be snarky and say "I'd rather have the debt", but the other guy says, "Yep, but I get to be here on Monday, enjoy your weekend".
4 whopping cylinders on Toyota RV's. Talk about great getting good MPG. Also I have a very light foot on the pedal. I followed some MPG advice on Livingpress.com and I now get 22 MPG! Not bad for a home on wheels.

Passin_Thru
Explorer
Explorer
Some guy in Winchester Va has a Ghost Busters Hearse. My cousin is named Eddie and I'd follow him through Hell. Most of my friends are Redneck, stick up for the Flag,The Office of the President (even if they don't like him) and will give you the shirt off their back. These Yuppies that are moving out to the country,bulldoze all the trees, mow the grass on Sunday and Envy my tractor because its bigger need to go back to town.

gbopp
Explorer
Explorer
mountainkowboy wrote:
gbopp wrote:

I've been forced to camp with plenty of idiots in newer Moho's, the year of, or the way it looks doesn't mean squat.....but then that's why I stay away from those campgrounds.

I completely agree with you. Age and condition of the RV doesn't mean much, it's the people that make or break your experience.
Sometimes you're better off camping beside 'cousin Eddie.'

Lwiddis
Explorer
Explorer
โ€œAh..mend, ah...mend, amend, amend...โ€

โ€œAh...supplement, ah...supplement, asupplement, asupplement...โ€

Everybody sing!
Winnebago 2101DS TT & 2022 Chevy Silverado 1500 LTZ Z71, WindyNation 300 watt solar-Lossigy 200 AH Lithium battery. Prefer boondocking, USFS, COE, BLM, NPS, TVA, state camps. Bicyclist. 14 yr. Army -11B40 then 11A - (MOS 1542 & 1560) IOBC & IOAC grad

wallynm
Explorer
Explorer
We had a Dodge with a 318 with a 2bbl carb and pulled a boat to the lake. At the time was about all we could afford. Ours was a little cleaner that that. Best gas engine we ever had was a Dodge 413 as no matter what we got 6.5 MPG - empty or pulling the boat at 6500 to 7000 feet.

Matt_Colie wrote:
Some of the early also had a 318 and those were a dog. At the end they all had the truck 440.

Matt
Have a Diesel Engine Diesel RV Club

Have a Freightliner FCOC Web Page

Living on the memories now
EX 02 DSDP 3567
EX 99 Coachmen
EX 86 Georgie Boy
EX 75 Winnie
EX 72 Sightseer
EX 68 Brave

THOSE THAT DO NOT KNOW HISTORY ARE DOOMED TO REPEAT IT

mountainkowboy
Explorer
Explorer
gbopp wrote:

I've been forced to camp with plenty of idiots in newer Moho's, the year of, or the way it looks doesn't mean squat.....but then that's why I stay away from those campgrounds.
Chuck & Ruth with 4-legged Molly
2007 Tiffin Allegro 30DA
2011 Ford Ranger
1987 HD FLHTP

Executive45
Explorer III
Explorer III
NCC-1701 wrote:
The motorhome may be old and look rough, but the campsite appears to be neat and orderly. As long as there isn't a bunch of trash being left around and the owners are following the campground rules, I could care less.

I've sometimes camped next to people in nearly new rigs that I'm sure I'd have rather had the guy with the camper above next to me.

Give him a week or two. Those clotheslines hanging on the trees are for the wet sleeping bags he's gonna pull outta that thing. ๐Ÿ™‚ I know, being judgemental. In reality though, I'm with you. Doesn't take a lot of money, skill or know how to keep things clean including the rig, just the desire. I've been next to new expensive rigs where the owner love gnomes and exterior color changing rope lighting everywhere while they blast their outside TV. Yeah! those guys.....Dennis
We can do more than we think we can, but most do less than we think we do
Dennis and Debi Fourteen Years Full Timing
Monaco Executive M-45PBQ Quad Slide
525HP Cummins ISM 6 Spd Allison
2014 Chevrolet Equinox LTZ W/ ReadyBrute
CLICK HERE TO VIEW OUR TRAVEL BLOG

Matt_Colie
Explorer
Explorer
That is an early Travco. The entire skin is a two piece Fiberglass shell. They were put on a Dodge chassis made for the Clarks at Travco. Those were very solid machines. Some of the early also had a 318 and those were a dog. At the end they all had the truck 440. They did OK.

That looks like it does because they were not real good at running the gelcoat for the polyester when they started the paint that they used did not bond well. There were lots of them that looked like that after only 15~20 years.

Matt
Matt & Mary Colie
A sailor, his bride and their black dogs (one dear dog is waiting for us at the bridge) going to see some dry places that have Geocaches in a coach made the year we married.