cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Boondocking in Colorado this summer?

fanrgs
Explorer
Explorer
If you are planning a summer trip to the Colorado Rockies in 2018 and like to boondock or camp at free or inexpensive campgrounds, check out my blog HERE. The blog discusses US highway routes through the mountains, campsites, and not-to-miss sights along the way.

And, if you have questions or need more info about some of my suggestions, PM me on this forum.

Have fun camping in Colorado!
"Retirement is the best job I ever had!"
2015 RAM 2500 4x4 crewcab 6.7L CTD; 2016 Rockwood Signature UltraLite 5th wheel
18 REPLIES 18

Busskipper
Explorer
Explorer
profdant139 wrote:
Just left Crested Butte after several days of boondocking -- amazing fall color, wonderful weather (until today). Lots of folks, even in the back-country. Full trip report will be posted in late October. Now off to Silverton -- hoping for more boondocking . . . .

Just share A picture or two to keeps us Coming back...:B

Silverton will be amazing - Lot's of back country - also Look to Dunton and Lizard Head in the National forest there, along with Lake City and the Alpine Loop.

The images will be Spectacular!

Enjoy,

One more area - Ophir - I think
Busskipper
Maryland/Colorado
Travel Supreme 42DS04
GX470-FMCA - Travel less now - But still love to be on the Road
States traveled in this Coach

profdant139
Explorer II
Explorer II
Just left Crested Butte after several days of boondocking -- amazing fall color, wonderful weather (until today). Lots of folks, even in the back-country. Full trip report will be posted in late October. Now off to Silverton -- hoping for more boondocking . . . .
2012 Fun Finder X-139 "Boondock Style" (axle-flipped and extra insulation)
2013 Toyota Tacoma Off-Road (semi-beefy tires and components)
Our trips -- pix and text
About our trailer
"A journey of a thousand miles begins with a single list."

fanrgs
Explorer
Explorer
Just got back from a trip to the Bighorn and Beartooth Mountains in WY/MT. Not many aspen changing there, but beautiful fall color in the Middle Park area of Colorado (U.S. 40). Come on up!

fanrgs
Explorer
Explorer
On another thread, Thom mentioned that the aspen are already starting to change in the Colorado mountains. So, make your plans now if you want to see their peak beginning in the next couple of weeks.

Thom02099
Explorer II
Explorer II
fanrgs wrote:
With schools about to begin a new year, the perfect season to camp in Colorado is just around the corner! We are starting to plan our fall camping in the mountains through early October. Perhaps North Park and the Medicine Bows in early September, Gunnison-Crested Butte-Kebler Pass the third week, and the south-central area in ear!y October.

Going to be interesting seeing some of the fire damage that occurred this summer. It could mean some changes in the blog recommendations before next summer.

On our way to a New Mexico State Park campground last week, we passed a fire next to I-25 near Walsenburg that had just begun, obviously started right next to the shoulder by a careless smoker. My wife called it in just as it began torching the snow fence at the edge of the right-of-way. If you are still heading to the West this fall, be aware that we are even more drought-striken now than in June when most of the fires began!

Was just up in North Park 2 weekends ago, it was beautiful up there. Stayed at Ranger Lakes inside Colorado State Forest State Park (electric connections there). Explored a couple of other campgrounds; North Michigan Lake and Bockman. Both are nice CGs, Michigan being the better of the two. If it interests you, look for a site on the upper side of the lake (on the map it's the top portion, but I think it's the south side of the lake). These are more accessible and have a better view. They are the higher numbered sites and the website has pictures of each site.

There's also a Stage 2 Fire Ban there for the entire CSFSP. Coming back to Colorado, we took the long way to Walden, then up CO 125 to CO 127 and on to Foxpark, Mountain Home and on to Laramie. Some very vivid views of the fire aftermath in that area, a very stark reminder of what a fire can do.
2007 GMC Sierra SLE 3500HD Dually
2016 Coachmen Catalina Legacy Edition 243RBS
2007 Keystone Outback 25RSS - R.I.P.

fanrgs
Explorer
Explorer
With schools about to begin a new year, the perfect season to camp in Colorado is just around the corner! We are starting to plan our fall camping in the mountains through early October. Perhaps North Park and the Medicine Bows in early September, Gunnison-Crested Butte-Kebler Pass the third week, and the south-central area in ear!y October.

Going to be interesting seeing some of the fire damage that occurred this summer. It could mean some changes in the blog recommendations before next summer.

On our way to a New Mexico State Park campground last week, we passed a fire next to I-25 near Walsenburg that had just begun, obviously started right next to the shoulder by a careless smoker. My wife called it in just as it began torching the snow fence at the edge of the right-of-way. If you are still heading to the West this fall, be aware that we are even more drought-striken now than in June when most of the fires began!

fanrgs
Explorer
Explorer
For the latest on SW Colorado wildfires, go HERE.

The latest word from Durango for those still planning RV trips to the area is quoted below:

"Southwestern Colorado is open for business with countless recreational opportunities available. Most of Durango's businesses and attractions have not been affected by the fire. Follow @VisitDurango on Facebook and Instagram to see unaffected summertime activities and adventure inspiration. Stop by or call the Durango Welcome Center at 802 Main Avenue or 800-525-8855 for alternate activity suggestions.

For ideas on recreational and tourism opportunities in other areas of southwest Colorado, please visit the following websites:

La Plata County: https://www.colorado.com/association/la-plata-county
San Juan County: http://www.sanjuancountycolorado.us/index.html
Silverton, CO Chamber of Commerce: http://www.silvertoncolorado.com"

fanrgs
Explorer
Explorer
Durango & Silverton NGRR steam trains start operating tomorrow after 6 weeks of suspended operations due to the 416 Fire. Now the Durango area is under a flash flood watch. It has not been a good summer for SW Colorado!

fanrgs
Explorer
Explorer
Duplicate

fanrgs
Explorer
Explorer
With the Spring Creek Fire having burned much of the area from Ft. Garland to La Veta Pass, those RVers headed for the Great Sand Dunes NP may want use alternate routes to US 160. US 285 and CO 17 would keep you away from the fire, but not likely away from the smoke.

It may be a better year to head to Salida for a raft trip with the kids than to the Great Sand Dunes!

fanrgs
Explorer
Explorer
Durango received more than 1/2 inch of rain today, 0.63 inch in the past 24 hours, and fog is predicted for tomorrow. That should help the firefighters on the fires in SW Colorado. However,the closure of San Juan National Forest for all uses, including camping, has not yet been lifted. So, you may want to find another part of our scenic state to visit if you are going to be coming here before mid-July.

profdant139
Explorer II
Explorer II
jefe, you might like riding a mtn bike on the Kettle Valley Rail Trail in Canada -- it goes over several intact high trestle bridges. Amazing engineering!
2012 Fun Finder X-139 "Boondock Style" (axle-flipped and extra insulation)
2013 Toyota Tacoma Off-Road (semi-beefy tires and components)
Our trips -- pix and text
About our trailer
"A journey of a thousand miles begins with a single list."

jefe_4x4
Explorer
Explorer
fanRGS,
This is fan Rio Grande Southern. I model the RGS from Ridgway to Rico in a 1200 sq. foot building. Here is the RGS loco 461 pounding upgrade over br. 43A, the Ames Trestle the last big bridge to fall on the RGS in 1979.

Thanks for the effort you put into your blog. They say perspective is everything, so here are links to a trip report from 8 years ago called, "San Juan High". The perspective part was taking 3 truck campers over a lot of the highest passes in the San Juans and actually bedding down near the summits of those passes. Night after night we camped at a low of 10K feet up to and over 13K feet. The secret was doing it during the 3rd week of September, a time slot after the chance for lingering Monsoons and before the 1st big winter snow. This could only happen with experienced off-road aficionados.
https://forums.goodsamclub.com/index.cfm/fuseaction/thread/tid/24528960.cfm
https://forums.goodsamclub.com/index.cfm/fuseaction/thread/tid/24529897.cfm
https://forums.goodsamclub.com/index.cfm/fuseaction/thread/tid/24566904.cfm
regards, jefe
'01.5 Dodge 2500 4x4, CTD, Qcab, SB, NV5600, 241HD, 4.10's, Dana 70/TruTrac; Dana 80/ TruTrac, Spintec hub conversion, H.D. susp, 315/75R16's on 7.5" and 10" wide steel wheels, Vulcan big line, Warn M15K winch '98 Lance Lite 165s, 8' 6" X-cab, 200w Solar

frizzen
Explorer
Explorer
Check the NF websites for fire conditions and restrictios
I need some wild