cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Class C - keeping pets (dogs/cats) out of driver's area.

samwhiskey
Explorer
Explorer
Getting ready to go on a long trip with two cats. Any ideas how to keep them out of the cab area while driving?
Thanks!!
Sam Whiskey and my Lovely Bride
From Apple Valley, Kalifornia to Lake Tahoe then
to Alaska. Lived and worked in Alaska for 18 years
Retired to North Idaho's Beautiful Panhandle.

88 Elite Class C 26 Feet (Ford Econoline 350)
7 REPLIES 7

Johno02
Explorer
Explorer
Our dogs always rode in their crates. They were very uncomfortable trying to ride with them loose. Both were large dogs, we put their (soft) crates up on the bed in the back.
Noel and Betty Johnson (and Harry)

2005 GulfStream Ultra Supreme, 1 Old grouch, 1 wonderful wife, and two silly poodles.

mockturtle
Explorer
Explorer
Pet crates. Cats usually prefer to be confined when traveling.
I keep my dog in his crate when traveling for his safety and mine.
2015 Tiger Bengal TX 4X4
Chevy 3500HD, 6L V8

Artum_Snowbird
Explorer
Explorer
In British Columbia now if you are travelling with a pet in your lap it is considered distracted driving and you will be charged for it. Two times in three years and the fine is well over $2000 and many points on your licence.
Mike
2012 Winnebago Impulse Silver 26QP
2005 16.6 Double Eagle
2018 Jeep Wrangler JK
previously Snowbird Campers,
Triple E Motorhome and Fifth Wheel

rockhillmanor
Explorer
Explorer
samwhiskey wrote:
Getting ready to go on a long trip with two cats. Any ideas how to keep them out of the cab area while driving?
Thanks!!

I travel with 4 dogs.
They are in crates up in the cab over.

The crates are secured to the wood under the cushions. I have a Turbo Maxxair 4 speed reversible thermostat fan installed in the vent opening above the cab over. Which keeps them cool on hot days.

This would also work for the cats. find a crate big enough to put a litter box in the back of crate and a small bed upfront and an attached water bowl. that is how my cat traveled in the RV. He was very happy with the situation.

IMHO no animals should be loose while traveling. For your safety AND theirs. If you do get in an accident loose pets become projectiles and if rescue is involved the minute fire and EMT open your RV door, out goes your pets into traffic often fatal.

We must be willing to get rid of the life we've planned,
so as to have the life that is waiting for us.

Gonzo42
Explorer
Explorer
As for the cat, use a small water pistol or spray bottle whenever they get into a forbidden zone. They don't know where it comes from, but they learn to avoid the area.

Dogs, on the other hand, will respond to the stern use of the word "NO".

Your co-pilot is essential in these endeavors.
MOTHER SHIP Winnebago View 24H (2007 Dodge Sprinter 3500 Chassis, 2008 Body)3.0 L M-B Diesel V6 bought used with 24K miles. Toad: ROCKY the Flying Squirrel.

Old-Biscuit
Explorer II
Explorer II
Cat carriers
Pet Crates

Harness and strap them to a seat using seat belts

What do you do when cats are in your CAR?
Is it time for your medication or mine?

2007 DODGE 3500 QC SRW 5.9L CTD In-Bed 'quiet gen'
2007 HitchHiker II 32.5 UKTG 2000W Xantex Inverter
US NAVY------USS Decatur DDG31

Sprink-Fitter
Explorer
Explorer
Keep them home.
2006 Coachman Adrenaline 228FB

2012 Can Am Commander XT 1000