cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

U-Dinette conversion

Jenobandito
Explorer
Explorer
I have a 26' North Trail TT with a U-dinette in the slide. There is no couch. The dinette is uncomfortable, and the back bench seat is very close to the double table supports to be awkward. The space measures 6'8" and am considering doing something different. I do not want to lose the dinette storage, and have thought of a credenza with smaller table and two chairs. I would also like to have comfortable seating, but in a small TT my options are limited. I have seen many ideas on Pinterest, but would like the opinions and advice of someone who has had a situation similar to mine - a small trailer needing a dinette change - and storage. What are the options?
11 REPLIES 11

Jenobandito
Explorer
Explorer
Thank you for the link.

westend
Explorer
Explorer
Jenobandito wrote:
bluie5 wrote:
westend wrote:
I was running into similar problems until I changed the table's support system. I bought a pair of folding table legs and that makes the table totally movable. I can even fold the legs and move the table outside, if needed.

That’s exactly what we did also. That way we could turn the table 90* for more room.

That is a great idea. I suppose Amazon would have some legs? Do you remember where you purchased them? I have seen a couple of designs, but some look like they would get in the way like the double posts on the table.
Purchased at Mills Fleet Farm, a local big box store. I paid around $20. Folding table legs
The legs stay pretty much out of the way for seating. One of my concerns was that they fold enough so that the table can be lowered onto cleats to become a bed platform. They passed that test, too.
'03 F-250 4x4 CC
'71 Starcraft Wanderstar -- The Cowboy/Hilton

Jenobandito
Explorer
Explorer
Thank you.

MrWizard wrote:
might I suggest a Sofa with storage underneath (not the new style electric bed thing, with no storage)

then a table that doubles as an coffee table or ottoman (different styles), but pops up and opens to proper table height

i don't have links, but i do remember seeing these things 'online' and at RV shows

Jenobandito
Explorer
Explorer
Great idea! Where did you purchase the legs. I will start searching. Thanks.

westend wrote:
I was running into similar problems until I changed the table's support system. I bought a pair of folding table legs and that makes the table totally movable. I can even fold the legs and move the table outside, if needed.

Jenobandito
Explorer
Explorer
That is similar to an idea I have though of. Thank you.

Off Pavement wrote:
Though not a TT, my 23' class C had a U-dinette that I removed and replaced with two 0 clearance recliners.

First, I never used the under seat storage of the old dinette, but you could build a platform for the chairs to sit on and have drawers below.

My DW passed away recently and I'm going to replace the two recliners with one swivel recliner as that has been my only complaint... not being able to easily see out the window. Along with the swivel recliner, I'll have room for a shallow desk and chair for computer and other paperwork I need to do and, I plan on adding a platform under the chair for a drawer below myself.

I've read of some folks that ran into electrical wiring (I did, but not an issue as it's just a junction box) or in one case a water tank in the under seat storage area. If you have that issue, I don't know what to tell you...

From this...

To this...

Jenobandito
Explorer
Explorer
Since I am unsure how to post under the individual posts that replied (learning) I want to thank you all for the advice. I love the idea of changing the table legs. That would be a big help.

Jenobandito
Explorer
Explorer
bluie5 wrote:
westend wrote:

That’s exactly what we did also. That way we could turn the table 90* for more room.

That is a great idea. I suppose Amazon would have some legs? Do you remember where you purchased them? I have seen a couple of designs, but some look like they would get in the way like the double posts on the table.

Off_Pavement
Explorer
Explorer
Though not a TT, my 23' class C had a U-dinette that I removed and replaced with two 0 clearance recliners.

First, I never used the under seat storage of the old dinette, but you could build a platform for the chairs to sit on and have drawers below.

My DW passed away recently and I'm going to replace the two recliners with one swivel recliner as that has been my only complaint... not being able to easily see out the window. Along with the swivel recliner, I'll have room for a shallow desk and chair for computer and other paperwork I need to do and, I plan on adding a platform under the chair for a drawer below myself.

I've read of some folks that ran into electrical wiring (I did, but not an issue as it's just a junction box) or in one case a water tank in the under seat storage area. If you have that issue, I don't know what to tell you...

From this...

To this...

The Road To Paradise Is NOT Paved!
Please Support Multiple Use of our Public Lands!

Brian Hoag
www.rv-camping.org
'10 Sunseeker Class C - Gozer II
'13 Jeep JKU (Wrangler) - Billie

bluie5
Explorer
Explorer
westend wrote:

2016 Ford F-350 Super Duty CC PSD SRW 4x4
2018 Jayco Eagle HT 29.5BHOK

westend
Explorer
Explorer
'03 F-250 4x4 CC
'71 Starcraft Wanderstar -- The Cowboy/Hilton

MrWizard
might I suggest a Sofa with storage underneath (not the new style electric bed thing, with no storage)

then a table that doubles as an coffee table or ottoman (different styles), but pops up and opens to proper table height

i don't have links, but i do remember seeing these things 'online' and at RV shows
I can explain it to you.
But I Can Not understand it for you !

Connected using T-Mobile Home internet and Visible Phone service
1997 F53 Bounder 36s