cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

brake light switch

billsharp
Explorer
Explorer
have a 03 national sea breeze lx class a MH. Having problems to get cruise to work so i pushed the brake light switch all the way in and it instantly locked the brake pedal so it would not move and would not release until i released the button--happened over and over--also does the switch operate the cruise control on this model. Can any one help please

billy.sharp23@yahoo.com
9 REPLIES 9

wa8yxm
Explorer III
Explorer III
YOu said it LOCKED the brake pedal???? Should not do that.

It might lock the switch in the OPEN position, which will cause the brake assist pump to NOT engage, which will make it feel like the pedal is locked.

Mine was replaced under warranty.
Home was where I park it. but alas the.
2005 Damon Intruder 377 Alas declared a total loss
after a semi "nicked" it. Still have the radios
Kenwood TS-2000, ICOM ID-5100, ID-51A+2, ID-880 REF030C most times

billsharp
Explorer
Explorer
i turned the switch in one complete turn taking up the small amount of slack and it fixed my problem--cruise works fine now

wolfe10
Explorer
Explorer
Again, the switch should not cause brakes to lock up. I guess if really mis-adjusted, it could keep the brakes (brake pedal) from fully releasing.
Brett Wolfe
Ex: 2003 Alpine 38'FDDS
Ex: 1997 Safari 35'
Ex: 1993 Foretravel U240

Diesel RV Club:http://www.dieselrvclub.org/

billsharp
Explorer
Explorer
i will replace it but i just cranked the engine and tried to get the pedal to lock as before cranking and it would not lock up so that is a relief that it will not lock up while driving--thanks everyone

chuckftboy
Explorer
Explorer
Often the brake switch is the problem when you cruise doesn't work. Pretty cheap part and easy to install so its probably worth trying anyway.
2019 Horizon 42Q Maxum Chassis w/tag
Cummins L-9 450 HP / Allison 3000
2006 Jeep TJ and 2011 Chevy Traverse Tows

billsharp
Explorer
Explorer
could be but this switch is directly pushed in/out by brake pedal and is only switch on the pedal assembly

dougrainer
Nomad
Nomad
I don't think the brake light switch is the switch you are having the problem with. It may be the steering column/Trans interlock solenoid that is causing that. Most Brake light switches are feeble plastic pins, that would break if trying to do what you state. Can you post a pic of the part locking up the Brake peddle? Doug

billsharp
Explorer
Explorer
workhorse 22 chassis--- when i push the pedal down 2-3 or so to get my finger on the switch button and push all the way in it locks up in place-happened over and over--other wise brakes and lights work good

wolfe10
Explorer
Explorer
Bill,

Welcome.

Please explain in more detail-- how does pushing the brake light SWITCH (not pedal)engage the brake?

What chassis?

And, yes, on 100% of vehicles, pushing the service brake should turn OFF the cruise control.
Brett Wolfe
Ex: 2003 Alpine 38'FDDS
Ex: 1997 Safari 35'
Ex: 1993 Foretravel U240

Diesel RV Club:http://www.dieselrvclub.org/