cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Choices of TV for a family of 6

theoldwizard1
Explorer
Explorer
The kids are 5-9 now, but growing fast ! TT is max (loaded) weight of 8500 lbs. SWMBO does not like vans.

Is there a 6 passenger pickup any more or are we limited to Expedition/Suburban ?
30 REPLIES 30

4x4ord
Explorer III
Explorer III
We used a 6 passenger crew cab for 7. I thought it worked wonderful. 6 in a 5 passenger would be even better.
2023 F350 SRW Platinum short box 4x4.
B&W Companion
2008 Citation Platinum XL 34.5

BurbMan
Explorer II
Explorer II
parker.rowe wrote:
Is the tow rating on the fleet HD suburban really that low? Wow!

Yes, they get built with 11K GVWRs specifically to be upfitted with armor and other specialty gear like this.

parker_rowe
Explorer
Explorer
I don't mind the idea of a van either. Just bummed that the only way to get 4wd is to pay a 3rd part company like Quigley another 10-15K to build a 4wd van.

Is the tow rating on the fleet HD suburban really that low? Wow!
2015 Starcraft TravelStar 239TBS 6500 GVWR
1997 GMC Suburban K2500 7.4 Vortec/4.10
1977 Kawasaki KZ1000

Dadoffourgirls
Explorer
Explorer
IdaD wrote:
The GVWR cutoff under CAFE is 8500 lbs and under except for medium duty passenger vehicles such as SUVs and Vans, in which case the GVWR stretches up to 10,000 lbs. That probably went a long way toward killing off your HD Suburban and Excursion.

I would also agree that it's a pretty small niche market. Most families don't need a heavy duty vehicle nor do most families consist of 6 or more people, and families with 5 and under can make an HD pickup work just fine.

This is why the Suburban 3500HD Fleet has a GVWR of 11000lbs.

However, it has a tow rating of 3000 lb.

Only one time have I missed my Heavy Duty SUV compared to my van. I have appreciated my van every time I go to the gas station.
Dad of Four Girls
Wife
Employee of GM, all opinions are my own!
2017 Express Ext 3500 (Code named "BIGGER ED" by daughters)
2011 Jayco Jayflight G2 32BHDS

BurbMan
Explorer II
Explorer II
Everything is for sale if the price is right!

Lantley
Nomad
Nomad
Once upon a time I had an Excursion that I towed an 11K GVW TT . Back when they quit making them, I new this dark period we are in, was on the horizon!
We all saw the day coming when there would be no large SUV to tow large 10K GVW RV trailers. That day has arrived with no relief in site.
19'Duramax w/hips,12'Open Range,Titan Disc Brake
BD3,RV safepower,22" Blackstone
Ox Bedsaver,RV760 w/BC20,Glow Steps, Enduraplas25,Pedego
BakFlip,RVLock,5500 Onan LP,Prog.50A surge,Hughes autoformer
Porta Bote 8.0 Nissan,Sailun S637
Correct Trax,Splendide

Grit_dog
Nomad III
Nomad III
^ I agree. Didnโ€™t really think about the cafe standards part of it.
But even if they donโ€™t sell well forever, there is now a large gap in that market. And itโ€™s not like in the last 10 years everyone quit driving gas hogs, sold their towables and started driving cars that run on unicorn farts. Quite the opposite actually.
If they canโ€™t make em because overall theyโ€™d lose profit due to emissions standards that makes sense. But it ainโ€™t because they wouldnโ€™t sell.
Theyโ€™d sell like hotcakes until the next economic downturn.
2016 Ram 2500, MotorOps.ca EFIlive tuned, 5โ€ turbo back, 6" lift on 37s
2017 Heartland Torque T29 - Sold.
Couple of Arctic Fox TCs - Sold

IdaD
Explorer
Explorer
The GVWR cutoff under CAFE is 8500 lbs and under except for medium duty passenger vehicles such as SUVs and Vans, in which case the GVWR stretches up to 10,000 lbs. That probably went a long way toward killing off your HD Suburban and Excursion.

I would also agree that it's a pretty small niche market. Most families don't need a heavy duty vehicle nor do most families consist of 6 or more people, and families with 5 and under can make an HD pickup work just fine.
2015 Cummins Ram 4wd CC/SB

Lantley
Nomad
Nomad
We can stamp our feet and pound our fist all we want,
there is only a niche market for a heavy duty SUV.
The demand is not there by the masses.
The 1/2 ton versions meet the needs of most.
An SUV has a different impact on the CAFE standards(The Corporate Average Fuel Economy) vs.a pick up.
A HD SUV really brings down the avg. fuel economy while producing very few sales.
Ultimately it is the CAFE issue that eliminated the HD SUV.
19'Duramax w/hips,12'Open Range,Titan Disc Brake
BD3,RV safepower,22" Blackstone
Ox Bedsaver,RV760 w/BC20,Glow Steps, Enduraplas25,Pedego
BakFlip,RVLock,5500 Onan LP,Prog.50A surge,Hughes autoformer
Porta Bote 8.0 Nissan,Sailun S637
Correct Trax,Splendide

dodge_guy
Explorer
Explorer
I agree, bu for some reason they all think we want some ugly front wheel drive vans. Let alone a HD suv to haul a trailer and people!
Wife Kim
Son Brandon 17yrs
Daughter Marissa 16yrs
Dog Bailey

12 Forest River Georgetown 350TS Hellwig sway bars, BlueOx TrueCenter stabilizer

13 Ford Explorer Roadmaster Stowmaster 5000, VIP Tow>
A bad day camping is
better than a good day at work!

Grit_dog
Nomad III
Nomad III
Iโ€™d stay home if one of the kids had to ride b*tch for 1000miles next to me!
This is yet another argument for a HD SUV again. There are so few left, that the first mfg to pull their head out of their arse will make a fortune on them!
2016 Ram 2500, MotorOps.ca EFIlive tuned, 5โ€ turbo back, 6" lift on 37s
2017 Heartland Torque T29 - Sold.
Couple of Arctic Fox TCs - Sold

blt2ski
deltabravo wrote:
blt2ski wrote:
tallest two were 5'16".

5'16" = 6'4"

Nope, I'm 6' tall, so boyz are shorter than me at 5'16" tall. We all know 5' something is shorter than 6' something! I have another friend that is 5'23" tall. He's shorter than me too! lolol

Marty
92 Navistar dump truck, 7.3L 7 sp, 4.33 gears with a Detroit no spin
2014 Chevy 1500 Dual cab 4x4
92 Red-e-haul 12K equipment trailer

deltabravo
Nomad
Nomad
blt2ski wrote:
tallest two were 5'16".

5'16" = 6'4"
2009 Silverado 3500HD Dually, D/A, CCLB 4x4 (bought new 8/30/09)
2018 Arctic Fox 992 with an Onan 2500i "quiet" model generator

Dadoffourgirls
Explorer
Explorer
Because I did not like 6 in my crew cab, I bought my wife a CTS. Then I sold the crew cab, and bought a 3500 Express. Then I sold the CTS, and leased her something cheaper.

The Express has been a dedicated family hauler and trailer puller. It has been used for spring break trips for 10 people. It has been used to take 8 adults on a brewery tour.

It is not the coolest vehicle in the drive, but the most useful.
Dad of Four Girls
Wife
Employee of GM, all opinions are my own!
2017 Express Ext 3500 (Code named "BIGGER ED" by daughters)
2011 Jayco Jayflight G2 32BHDS