cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Full mud flap

billyboy
Explorer
Explorer
What is the best way to hang a mud flap on the back of a m.h.
09 winny adventurer 32h 33 ft towing 015 focus
15 REPLIES 15

Passin_Thru
Explorer
Explorer
Doesn't anyone use rock guards on windshields? In OZ everyone uses them including big trucks.Don't even know what a Stone Stomper is either do Ya Mate?

NCC-1701
Explorer
Explorer
Have had three RV's with full length flaps. All hung by chain and quicklinks. Never once had any issues with them throwing up rocks or anything else. I think it is key to make sure they are not hanging so low that they are going to hit the road surface when the coach encounters bumps/uneven road surfaces.
"Second star to the right and straight on 'til morning." Captain Kirk in Star Trek VI 'The Undiscovered Country'

2007 39K Winnebago Journey "The Enterprise"
Jeep Cherokee Sport 4x4

mike_brez
Explorer
Explorer
Mine mounts to a peice of angle iron. Have not noticed any damage to towed as of yet.
Feels like it weighs 50lbs and yes it is a nice advertisement
Have not traveled to Alaska by rv though.

1998 36 foot Country Coach Magna #5499 Single slide
Gillig chassis with a series 40
02 Ford F250 7.3 with a few mods
2015 Wrangler JKU

dougrainer
Nomad
Nomad
NO Mudguard/flap does the job. PERIOD. LOOK at the various gaps on the bottom and top. I have had more customers complain about the lack of protection than I can count. Years ago, I had a customer go to CW and had them install the broom type. Did NOT do the job. He went back and got his money back and had the what is now standard Rubber type solid flap installed. DID NOT PROTECT his new Toad. Went back to CW and got his money back. Then purchased from CW the Tow Bar mounted guard. FIXED his problem. I advise customers that if they want the best protection, get the Tow bar mounted guard. All factory mounted Mud Guards are just advertising for the RV maker. Doug

Mile_High
Explorer
Explorer
Mine had cables and quick link carabiners to attach. It trashed our old toad and broke my fancy LED headlights so off it came. However ours hung lower than most because of a motorcycle lift mod on the rear.
2013 Winnebago Itasca Meridian 42E
2013 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Sahara Towed

Bruce_Brown
To answer the OPs question, ours too is hung on chains.

In the subject of taking it or leaving it, I have a love/hate relationship with ours. It has absolutely saved our toad from damage from road debris, it has also torn itself off while catching debris the MH would have completely missed.

It does keep the back of the MH cleaner.
There are 24 hours in every day - it all depends on how you choose to use them.
Bruce & Jill Brown
2008 Kountry Star Pusher 3910

et2
Explorer
Explorer
In 5 years we've never had debris problems. Ours sits about 4" above ground when aired up. IT HAS stopped a large 4x4 from going through the rear of the MH and radiator into the toad after being thrown out by the rear tires. Bent the heck out of it. It saved us from a lot of damage back there.

Our's will never come off.

soren
Explorer
Explorer
AlaskaShooter wrote:
In 2016 we did a 90 day trip to Alaska. We camped one night West of Watson Lake and a MH pulled into the pull through site next to us towing a toad. They had a rear flap. They decided to unhook and take their toad into Watson Lake. He decided to check some of the toads fluids and the engine bay was totally full of dust, dirt and rocks from constructions zones they had encountered that day including stones on the hood. It was a non air coach so I loaned them my portable air compressor I carry to blow out his toad engine bay.

I was getting gas in Alaska, one summer, when a guy pulled in with a Class A and a toad. He had a long overhang, a low hanging flap, and a totally trashed older Subaru wagon behind him. He managed to break the headlights and the windshield (several times) and trash the paint on the entire front. When I told him it was caused by the flap, he looked at me like I had two heads, LOL.

If you roll like a lot of the old-timers who take a coach back and forth to your winter/summer destinations, once a year, a properly installed flap shouldn't be too damaging, since it's typically on clean highways. IMHO. if you have a toad, and do a lot of miles on all kinds of roads, it's not a good idea.

Roadpilot
Explorer
Explorer
I have also found that full flaps kick up debris. I would remove them.
Tiffin Wayfarer 25TW
15 Mini Cooper S

AlaskaShooter
Explorer
Explorer
In 2016 we did a 90 day trip to Alaska. We camped one night West of Watson Lake and a MH pulled into the pull through site next to us towing a toad. They had a rear flap. They decided to unhook and take their toad into Watson Lake. He decided to check some of the toads fluids and the engine bay was totally full of dust, dirt and rocks from constructions zones they had encountered that day including stones on the hood. It was a non air coach so I loaned them my portable air compressor I carry to blow out his toad engine bay.
2006 F-550, Crew cab, 4x4 w/factory bed getting 12 mpg @ 50,000 miles
2006 Lance 1191
2006 Wells Cargo 14' Cycle Wagon
2017 Grand Design 5th wheel with EezTire TPMS
2017 F-450 4x4 crew cab King Ranch

2gypsies1
Explorer
Explorer
We actually saw folks removing them on our Alaska trip and we saw a layer of large rock laying at the base of their towed's windshield. We just had the stiff flaps behind the tires and didn't receive any damage.

Later on while driving through Salt Lake City in a heavy downpour, I, the passenger at the time, took note of motorhomes going in the opposite direction. Those with the long stiff flap had a high arc of water spraying the toad's hood. Those without the flap had the water aiming at the tire area of the toad.
Full-Timed for 16 Years
.... Back in S&B Again
Traveled 8 yr in a 40' 2004 Newmar Dutch Star Motorhome
& 8 yr in a 33' Travel Supreme 5th Wheel

Jim
Explorer
Explorer
I agree with Dutch...they kick up more and larger detritus then not having one at all. Even traveling to Alaska. But chains seems to be the most popular way to hang them from all that I've seen.
Jim@HiTek
Have shop, will travel!
Visit my travel & RV repair blog site. Subscribe for emailed updates.
Winnebago Journey, '02
Cat 330HP Diesel, 36.5', two slides.

PastorCharlie
Explorer
Explorer
If it does not have an angle iron at the top it needs to be bolted to angle iron the entire width and then hung to coach frame allowing about 4 inches of clearance from payment so as not to kick up debris.

DSDP_Don
Explorer
Explorer
Short chain with one of the threaded links to attach. If the height is properly set, there won't be an issue with road debris.

Make sure that you mount the chain at an angle. If attached to a 36" wide frame, you want the chain attached to the flap at about 40" apart. If you attach to the frame and flap at the same width, the mud flap will rock from side to side.
Don & Mary
2019 Newmar Dutch Star 4018 - All Electric
2019 Ford Raptor Crew Cab