Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

12v power issue

ACDNate
Explorer
Explorer
2008 Winnebago Journey 39z.

New issue presented itself today. Randomly half of the 12v powered items in the coach have no power. Everything working one moment. Was out of the coach for 20min and when I went back in half not working.

I've got 12v power to stereo's, awnings, some lights. I don't have 12v power to main lights, control panel that shows power status, tank levels. I do have power to thermostat (assuming it uses a 12v power supply for something), the water pump powers.

Checked all 12v breakers, house and chassis. None tripped

110v power good weather on shore power or generator.

Buddy who's had similar issues before said there's a solenoid that dispenses 12v power to the coach that can stick. He recommended turning on generator and then off to work the transfer switch and activate the solenoid. Did that a couple times and 12v power came back.

40 min later I lost half 12v power again.

Tried turning off house batteries with switch at door. This turned off the remaining 12v items on. Turned back on after a short time and still have only half 12v power.

Are there more than 1 solenoids that control 12v power? I notice there are 2 button breakers for 12v power to the inside 12v panel.

Any suggestions what else to look at?

Thanks,

Nate
12 REPLIES 12

Scottiemom
Nomad
Nomad
ACDNate wrote:
Teacher's Pet wrote:
Our Tiffin has had that happen quite a few times ... check the inverter breakers, when we loose the 12 volt power from the bath forward on the passenger side..that has always been the cause.

Oddly enough, resetting the inverter/converter breaker turned things back on.

Is this a sign of the inverter/converter going bad?

Nope. . . when it happens as Teachers Pet described it's because I for got to turn off one of the electric heaters and started up my hairdryer while he was toasting his bread. It's just too much (extra) on one circuit.

Dale
Dale Pace
Widow of Terry (Teacher's Pet)

Traveling with Brendon, my Scottish Terrier

2022 Honda Odyssey
2011 Mazda Miata MX-5

2021 Coach House Platinum III 250DT
Fulltimed for 15 years, now living in Florida

http://www.skoolzoutforever.blogspot.com/

YC_1
Nomad
Nomad
ACDNate wrote:
What I found odd is that half the 12v works. So this solenoid will have 2 outputs?

No, it is a very simple on/off switch so technically it does not have an input and output. It just shorts the two large connectors together.

Your symptoms of resetting the inverter does NOt add up to losing 12 volt lights. But if it works, so be it.
H/R Endeavor 2008
Ford F150 toad >Full Timers
Certified Senior Electronic Technician, Telecommunications Engineer, Telecommunications repair Service Center Owner, Original owner HR 2008

enblethen
Nomad
Nomad
Have you verified that the circuit breakers are making internal contact?
What items are not working?

Bud
USAF Retired
Pace Arrow

2003 Chev Ice Road Tracker

wa8yxm
Explorer III
Explorer III
When you say "Half" do you mean like
Marker lights, Tail, turn and such work but Indoor lights do not?

Motor homes have two 12 volt power systems. ONe for the MOTOR part one for the HOME part

Motor part may inlcude jacks and steps. It will include all exterior lights save for the porch and Work and any "Scare" lights you have (Basement lights are indoors) This includes Tail, Stop. Turn, Marker/clearance parking fog driving and headlights..

It may even include SOME lights inside (Dash lights and "Dome" light over the dash)

House is most all the indoor lights, Porch, Work and Scare.
Home was where I park it. but alas the.
2005 Damon Intruder 377 Alas declared a total loss
after a semi "nicked" it. Still have the radios
Kenwood TS-2000, ICOM ID-5100, ID-51A+2, ID-880 REF030C most times

ACDNate
Explorer
Explorer
enblethen wrote:
Does your 12 volt DC actually have circuit breakers and not fuses?

For the coach all 12v push button circuit breakers. The chasis does have some traditional fuses.

enblethen
Nomad
Nomad
Does your 12 volt DC actually have circuit breakers and not fuses?

Bud
USAF Retired
Pace Arrow

2003 Chev Ice Road Tracker

ACDNate
Explorer
Explorer
Teacher's Pet wrote:
Our Tiffin has had that happen quite a few times ... check the inverter breakers, when we loose the 12 volt power from the bath forward on the passenger side..that has always been the cause.

Oddly enough, resetting the inverter/converter breaker turned things back on.

Is this a sign of the inverter/converter going bad?

Teacher_s_Pet
Explorer
Explorer
'06 Phaeton 40' QSH
'14 Ford Flex SEL AWD Toad
'04 R-Vision Trail-Lite 213
Scottiemom's Pet or husband to Dale
RV.net Rallies 13, Other Rallies 21, Escapades 7
Fulltimers since 2005, Where are we?
Our Travel Blog

ACDNate
Explorer
Explorer
What I found odd is that half the 12v works. So this solenoid will have 2 outputs?

YC_1
Nomad
Nomad
ACDNate wrote:
That was my first inclination. My gut says a solenoid isn't activating. That theory would indicate the system is split though since I do have some 12v working.

Very common. Have someone toggle the switch and locate the solenoid that is being controlled. Use a test light on each large connection and when it acts up check them again. I bet one side is out.

Many people just bypass the solenoids.
H/R Endeavor 2008
Ford F150 toad >Full Timers
Certified Senior Electronic Technician, Telecommunications Engineer, Telecommunications repair Service Center Owner, Original owner HR 2008

ACDNate
Explorer
Explorer
That was my first inclination. My gut says a solenoid isn't activating. That theory would indicate the system is split though since I do have some 12v working.

rgatijnet1
Explorer III
Explorer III
Flip the Salesmans switch by your steps a couple of times. On my coach I sometimes have to hold it for a few seconds for the relay to switch.